Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Forgiving Prior Mistakes

Author Topic: Forgiving Prior Mistakes  (Read 6999 times)

zach232

Forgiving Prior Mistakes
« on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:12 »
There is a lot of info on this site and I haven't been able to sift through all of it, so if I am asking a repeat question I apologize.

I am very seriously considering the NR program. My undergraduate degree is in Math, but my transcript is awful, 2.6 GPA, I even failed a couple of math classes. (I was immature). I have since managed to get into grad school for math where I have maintained a 3.9 GPA. My professors would say that I am consistently one of the top one or two students in each of my classes. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about whether the Navy would be willing to overlook past transgressions? Thanks,

Zach

Fermi2

Re: Forgiving Prior Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2006, 10:20 »
They'll most likely be more impressed with your ability to turn things around and take positive corrective action to turn your grades around. I wouldn't sweat it!

Mike

andy04

nub questions ><
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:13 »
hey there,

first off i wanna say thanks to everyone who has put the effort forth required to serve their country.  regardless of field ... the sacrifice is awesome. 

now i just had a couple questions,
in HS i was a good student... 3.5 gpa, never really studied and just coasted by.
i took the asvab in the tenth grade scored an 87 and from my searching over the forums that is high enough to at least get me qualified to take the nuke test.

my only question is and this is that in college i didnt do so well.  my parents kinda turned me loose and i moved down to auburn university with some of my best friends from HS.  well that turned out poorly.  i passed pre-cal with a "c" and failed calculus my second semester.  i retook it later to pass it with a "b" but i was wonderin how much of an impact failing that the first time would have on my chances of  making it into the nuke program.

my best friend from HS joined the nuke program and i have a very very good idea about the work that will be required.  but at the point in my life im at i really want some new direction.  i can see only a few downsides of spending a few years serving my country, i really feel like a have a lot to gain.

andy04

Re: nub questions ><
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:27 »
ok so i found the thread http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9141.0.html
that describes a similar problem but i cannot interpret the response to satisfy my question... as i didn't really turn it around only getting a "b" :(

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:13 »
The Navy will not really care how you did in college (well not much) if you did ok in high school.  The only requirement forthe program is AGL not Calc!  Hell Passing pre-calc will put you ahead of the requirements to get into the program.  Have you talked to a recruiter yet??

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Wirebiter

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:51 »
Your grades will not impact your enlisting into the Navy.  It will come in to play if you decide to apply for a commisioning program (Naval Acadamy, ROTC etc..).

andy04

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:34 »
yea ive talked to a recruiter, he was very eager to get me to meps, and at first i was all for it, but for the moment, i just wanna find out all i can about the nuke program before deciding anything.  i really like the program mainly because of the challenge.  if it wasnt hard i dont think it would intrest me like it does.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?