Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trojan
honeypot

Author Topic: Trojan  (Read 29660 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Trojan
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:17 »
Talk About: Trojan
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2004, 12:39 by Rennhack »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Talk About: Trojan
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:37 »
Oh...someone asked about Trojan pay rate on another topic...I haven't been there in a while, but am fairly sure it's still high twenties per hour/no diem?  Hope that helps.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:49 »
Actually, the pay rates are as follows.
Non-Local:  $20.35 hr, $80.00 a day per-diem.
Local: $32.OO hr.

SFP D&D has just finished and characterization surveys
are in progress.  Final Survey is on going in the aux bldg at this time.  Unc Buf, we miss ya here dude.

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 04:25 »
I really miss Trojan---I remember how we would all play basket ball in the plant---Then during lunch it was frisbee in the park and after work it was softball.  Trojan was truly a country club of the North West.  Met my first wife there. Saw Mt St Helens erupt on May 18th 1980,  Still have my copy of the Portland Newspaper with all the photos.  My Folks still live at the top of a mountain on the other side of the river. Dad retired from Trojan a couple of years ago.
Memories 8) :'(

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 05:06 »
Hey TC, if you're refering to Big Bad Bill Whatley, he's one hell of a good guy.  I've got nothing but respect the
man.  He is missed at the site.

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2003, 07:06 »
The One and The Same - Havent heard that title since I ran into a couple of his buds from NAM - They had the same feelings.  Merry Christmas to you

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2004, 11:46 »
Unc Buf, we miss ya here dude.

Thanks, PunkinHead...I miss you guys, too.  Trojan definitely is on my Top Three List for good nuke plant memories.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

CraigT

Re: Trojan
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:08 »
Hi nukies,

Everything is going well at Trojan. We are cleaning up a few of the remaining areas in the plant that could not be remediaited until the SFP was emptied and deconned. Final surveys of most of the Aux. and Fuel Buildings are still needed to be worked on. We have also been final surveying the remainder of the embedded piping throughout the plant and are about 50% done with that. The schedule has us being completed this Fall or early Winter.

It has been a great place to work over the years and a ton of very good people have come and gone through this plant. I wish the best for all my old friends!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Trojan
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2004, 03:43 »
Only a few more months to treat Portland, OR as a work location, but thought the info might come in handy for people travelling the I-5 corridor...or easy striking distance from Columbia & Hanford...

Best concert venue (possibly my favorite in the world) is the amphitheatre at the Zoo...they run free/cheap concerts all summer and you can take the family, so...

Good live music all year long at The Alladdin and Berbati's gets its fair share of fun acts, too.  The Crystal Ballroom is a great place to dance when they have the right band, but the seating is almost non-existent, so only go for bands you are willing to stand for.

I love the Laurelthirst for a beer...AND they have the best early evening music, so...

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:53 »
It was in the local papers yesterday here in Portland that on May 21st they're going to implode the Trojan cooling tower. Same company that took down the Kingdome in Seattle. It's supposed to be the first time that anything so securely built will be imploded. The police are going to block off the roads to discourage "looky-loos", but there's supposed to be TV coverage. I'll provide a link as soon as one becomes available.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2006, 05:42 »
It's interesting to see how S/G plugging problems led to an early shutdown, which weakened PGE finances to make the Enron merger possible, which led to the California energy situation that raised rates throughout the western US, and caused a LOT of changes in FERC, NERC and the electric industry.

Brings new meaning to the importance of secondary chemistry and S/G work, yes?  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2008, 06:24 »
Stuck up a few pix from now...a few from D&D...and a few from the sleeving outage...

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-153.html
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2008, 07:29 by UncaBuffalo »

tolleshaug

« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:17 »
Thanks for posting the Trojan pictures. They brought back good memories of faces that I have not seen for awhile.Craig Tolleshaug

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:28 »
Is Trojan an operating plant? Anyone know the story about this facility?

vikingfan

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:46 »
No its not operating and hasn't operated in a number of years but you would have known that if you had read the threads about this site.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:05 »
there's more than the two under "Trojan"? I actually googled it and couldn't find my info, so I came here.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:51 »
The prior 5 years of posts in this thread might have been the first indicator....

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:16 »
This video might help explain the status:

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2008, 03:16 »
lol ok ok I get it, I'm feeling the love.

This is the greatest web site ever created. Ever.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:18 »
lol ok ok I get it, I'm feeling the love.

Actually what are you are feeling is us rubbing mayonnaise into the burns from prior smites....lol

+K to ya  ;)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2008, 02:41 »
While it existed, it was a very good plant to go to for an outage.  I have always been sorry that I was only there one time.  However, that one time was in the top 5 of my All Time Favorite Outages List. 
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

alphadude

« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:07 »
me too... way back in 79

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:21 »
Guess they got containment demolished this fall.  All that's left in the old protected area are a few outbuildings & the ISFSI pad...

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2008/11/25/top_story/doc492b9b8c7cf16893724531.txt

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008, 09:54 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2008, 03:37 »
I suppose it has already been discussed here but I don't think it was the chemistry problem that lead to the closure and then the sale of PGE.

The explosive sleeving went very well except for the one tube that was not annealed and then failed. The removal of most of the tube plugs and the sleeving those tubes added substantial capability back to the life of the plant. After the tube rupture that caused the "final shutdown" it seems that PGE management found the reason they were looking for to close the plant.
And why would they want to?  My guess is the manoeuvrings were already going on to sell the utility to Enron and Enron didn't want an operating nuke. There was no other credible reason for not operating the plant following the investigation after the tube rupture... They had the OK from the NRC to restart and they had to OK from ODOE as well.  How do I know? A man from ODOE told me as much on the bridge over the SFP.

Companies do what they want to and makeup the reasons to fit what they want to do..

I missed the place as an operating plant and refused to go back for  decomissioning..

Have my TOJAN 1993 Defueling Team Member "Will Work For Food" mug on my desk...

matthew.b

« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2009, 09:08 »
My guess is the manoeuvrings were already going on to sell the utility to Enron and Enron didn't want an operating nuke.

Yes, Enron wouldn't want an operating plant.  It would have been hard to fabricate a west coast power shortage to radically raise rates if that 1120 MW was still operating.

Did you ever hear rumors of the plant being sold to an independent operator?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?