Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rent a tech Union debate
honeypot

Poll

Would You support a nationwide IBEW Union, and sign a card?

Yes
102 (52.3%)
No
93 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Rent a tech Union debate  (Read 420346 times)

Offline Walt Harris

• Retired - Health Physics / Industrial Hygiene
  • Moderate User
  • I intend to live forever! So far so good!
Re: Rent a tech Union debate
« Reply #250 on: Jan 24, 2007, 01:11 »
you would get techs that are trained and not "resume" trained, and you would have a much safer work force. 

One of the first things I learned (>25years ago), was that you can NEVER judge a good RP/HP by his resume, any more than by their "training", sheep skins, NRRPT, etc, etc ..... I have worked with some AWESOME techs over the years that barely had a HS diploma, and some college educated/NRRPT dingbats. (Some of my favorite stories involve NRRPT, "Ocala High" newbie-grads, and engineers !) Training can definately make a better tech, but about 90% of a "being a good tech" comes from good ole fashioned experience and common sense! (I guess I'm an exception to your rule-->25Years, NRRPT, SAT qualified instructor, and still a no vote.)

Unions tend to make things equal. 
They sure do. They ensure the highly trained slugs have the same benifits/pay as the good guys. And I know, that happens with todays "system", but at least it's not taking money from my paycheck to enforce it.

As a customer I would have more confidence in the purchase (tech contracts) if I saw union techs.
See first response above .......

Walt
Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #251 on: Jan 24, 2007, 01:51 »
 ;) Koodos Walt

My feeling exactly ::)

alphadude

« Reply #252 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:53 »
so walt I should use emotion and personal experience to skim out those I see as not "being a good guy?" Since I dont know you I would put you on the bottom of the list. However, if I used your resume you might rise to the top. Its not as simple as you state.

unfortunately, purchasers cannot meet and greet every tech in the world to skim the cream, so standards must be used to measure performance potential, and the items I listed are related to standards not personal feelings or impressions-which the last two posts seem to be based upon.

While those with just barely a high school education may perform well, that skill is based upon their limited experience on the job- (technical writing, abstract thinking, advanced skills more than likely would not be in their tool kit) their future would be somewhat limited. (unions would suit them well-especially when they get older) But as I said earlier there are always exceptions-

As for "good tech" a lot of that is salesmanship. It is likely that you would call someone a good tech if he played tonk with ya or had the personal skills to sell ya that Edsel. (i.e. What is your measurement tool "for a good tech?")

Besides Walt you are in management... so why would you vote for a union?
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 03:02 by alphadude »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #253 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:24 »
...I should use...personal experience to skim out those I see as not "being a good guy?"  Since I dont know you I would put you on the bottom of the list.

Yes, a manager's experiences with a technician should affect the technician's future employment and pay...preferably positively, but there are slugs out there.

As far as the 'bottom-of-the-list' comment, I personally would place the new-hire in the middle of the list...and let them make their way up (or down) from there.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #254 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:47 »
Yes, a manager's experiences with a technician should affect the technician's future employment and pay...preferably positively, but there are slugs out there.

As far as the 'bottom-of-the-list' comment, I personally would place the new-hire in the middle of the list...and let them make their way up (or down) from there.

That is exactally right IMO.  Placing someone at the bottom of the so called "list" based solely on the fact that you don't know them personally is the same as giving some one the top position based on senority alone.
Neither is fair.  I can't see a union helping with this kind of an issue where at the same time I can definately see that it could weigh things in the favor of a tech. with senority over the one that may not have as extensive of a resume but has better work ethic and expertise.

The only people that can sift through this issue and have an impact would be the actual employer (ie. Bartlett or other).  Every job that I have had with Bartlett ended with a documented review of my job performance and attendance.  This is how you build a reputation to go along with the resume and potentially have more opportunities to work at new sites.  I don't know if Bartlett or other like companies have an "A" list, "B" list etc. but I have heard that they do exist.  If they do exist then I applaud them for it.  It helps the hard working techs that do a good job enjoy the rewards of their efforts in the form of having more choices and more employment throughout the year.  I can't see a union having any positive impact on this issue.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

alphadude

« Reply #255 on: Jan 24, 2007, 04:26 »
remember its SENIOR QUALIFIED not just senior.

And as the hiring supervisor, since I dont have union techs I do use my experience to skim out those I'm not partial too. (no matter what their skill level) Thats the fun of not having a union to contend with- I can play god, make pay "suggestions" to my contractor site co-ordinator, keep those I like (good techs) send the others to dose-ville. Give preference training to those I want, and so on, tell the site co-ord to "ax him or her" without justification. Give out "special projects!" Its good to be KING!! 

As for dealing with union techs- I assign jobs thru the foreman, get feedback, and they all get trained equally. Poor performance is dealt with under "my right to manage" provisions and I hold the union accountable when needed.

Done it both ways-  Its up to you to decide- I'm in management and have been for 25 years, so I see advantages to both. Dealing with the union is very very easy. (Oh yes I have always won all my grievances!)  Dealing with 50 personalities (non union techs) takes its toll.  but I have caused grief to non-union types (oh the end of the outage suck up!) gotta love it..

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #256 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:45 »
:) Well it sounds to me like the only consideration here is going out to the hp's of nuke sites... This is one of the major problem I see with regard to a union....  no merging of the differant postions of RCT's Marssims, D & D, DOE, Deconers ect... There is no equality amoung the techs when it comes to unions... just another line of segration  ::) until I'm sure that when I work at decomisioning a site with the same training, pay, benefits, and representaion as our outage brothers and sisters my vote remains no for unions  8)

so what wood yer suggestions be to merge alla different classifications?  current unions in place at place have there criteria.  suggest watt ya wanna see git in place.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

jjordan

« Reply #257 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:00 »
:) Well it sounds to me like the only consideration here is going out to the hp's of nuke sites... This is one of the major problem I see with regard to a union....  no merging of the differant postions of RCT's Marssims, D & D, DOE, Deconers ect... There is no equality amoung the techs when it comes to unions... just another line of segration  ::) until I'm sure that when I work at decomisioning a site with the same training, pay, benefits, and representaion as our outage brothers and sisters my vote remains no for unions  8)
Tina,
You're killing me! The poll I started said a IBEW nationwide union, I didn't omit anyone, never intended to. In a previous life I worked DOE I also was a rent a tech at the commercial sites. It was about convienience and pay at any given period in time. my life evolved, and I slowly morphed into a house tech. i'm the only one witout a vote here. Oh except the ones that choose to not sign cards. If you want to be included, you have to sign a card! Raise your issues when you secure the right to bargin collectivly. If you want a voice, you have to vote. No contractor is goinig to give you a voice. You'll have to fight for it. when's the last time they called you into the office and asked you if the bid was high enough because you were going to get a big raise and better benefits. They want most of the money for themselves. Ahhh capitalisim at it's finest! The IBEW wants everyone to be represented, deconners, DOE, HP's, Dosimetry,Marssims, D & D,ect.
Sign a card for yourselves,
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #258 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:05 »
I think this debate would mostly apply to power plant workers. (standardized responsibilities)
Nope, that would be way to easy for me! I like to do things the hard way, and make it work for anyone that wants a voice. Yes there are a lot of problems and question, but none without solutions!
JJ 8)

jjordan

« Reply #259 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:16 »

They sure do. They ensure the highly trained slugs have the same benifits/pay as the good guys. And I know, that happens with todays "system", but at least it's not taking money from my paycheck to enforce it.

Walt
The money from your check is to better yourself! It's managements job to eliminate the slugs not the unions. There are ways to discipline, or terminate a substandard employee. What I find to be true is "the supervisor is way lazier than the slug you are whining about" He's a supervisor because he tought it would be easier than working for  a living. If he's a good supervisor, he can motivate people, or replace them. Oh and i've noticed if one slug
JJ gets replaced it kind of inspires most of the rest!
JJ ;)

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #260 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:24 »
Good to see you back JJ

jjordan

« Reply #261 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:31 »
remember its SENIOR QUALIFIED not just senior.

And as the hiring supervisor, since I dont have union techs I do use my experience to skim out those I'm not partial too. (no matter what their skill level) Thats the fun of not having a union to contend with- I can play god, make pay "suggestions" to my contractor site co-ordinator, keep those I like (good techs) send the others to dose-ville. Give preference training to those I want, and so on, tell the site co-ord to "ax him or her" without justification. Give out "special projects!" Its good to be KING!! 

As for dealing with union techs- I assign jobs thru the foreman, get feedback, and they all get trained equally. Poor performance is dealt with under "my right to manage" provisions and I hold the union accountable when needed.

Done it both ways-  Its up to you to decide- I'm in management and have been for 25 years, so I see advantages to both. Dealing with the union is very very easy. (Oh yes I have always won all my grievances!)  Dealing with 50 personalities (non union techs) takes its toll.  but I have caused grief to non-union types (oh the end of the outage suck up!) gotta love it..
You're awsome dude! Pay attention Walt, you can learn something here. I've been a union supervisor too, and a shop steward also. We had layoffs, and there was never a mention of senority there, good workers had the option to stay, slugs went first! No union protection there! But remember the contract is a fantasy, you can make it what you want. The union has no problem with being held accountable, they do like to insure the right of due process. If the supervisor does his job correctly, the slug goes away. Like I said before, most are too lazy, and being former HP's they are all world class whiners like myself! ;D It's always easier to blame someone or something else for your problems, it's tougher to fix them. We need to fix a lot right now, and fix them right this time!
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #262 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:38 »
so what wood yer suggestions be to merge alla different classifications?  current unions in place at place have there criteria.  suggest watt ya wanna see git in place.
If the IBEW succeeded here, they could extend the offer to merge some unions. If they are IBEW contracts, some are not, and they have agreements in place to not interfere with other unions, and vice a versa. Biloxi, it's good to be back! 8)
JJ

PS I thought this thread was dead ??? ??? ???

Offline Walt Harris

• Moderate User
« Reply #263 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:29 »

Besides Walt you are in management... so why would you vote for a union?

Nope, WAS in management, back in the working class again by choice, (less headaches/more money).

I was just trying to make the point that a listing of my 25+years, NRRPT, and passing of every known testing and training thrown at me is no better yardstick for how I can perform in the field than a list of completed "union sponsored" training. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. That's partly why "returnees" are so valuable, and yes, it is a bit of a crap shoot when you bring in someone "new/unknown" no matter what the resume says. With the legal system today, you are sticking your neck out there if you give a bad work reference, unless you've got GOOD documentation to back it up. So unless you personally know the person giving the reference, good luck!

I came into this business with a background in electronics, strong math/science background and could pass any and every HP/RP test thrown my way. In fact, I went to CCNPP for the first time as a JHP, made a high score on their "new" test that all but a very few of the SHP's flunked, they interviewed me and (boing!) I was a 3.1 SHP! Did that make me a better FIELD technician than some of those who flunked and/or agonized over the entrance tests? NO-WAY!

A lot of folks just keep saying that "union trained" technicians are going to "magically" be a better/safer technicians. Horse-manure -- period! Air sampling, dose-rates, smears, (o.k. and frisking). A monkey can be trained to do that! It's the "how, when, and why" in a particular situation that makes you a technician. And able to multi-task with multiple variables that makes you a good technician. Good people skills doesn't hurt either. You don't get that in a classroom.

AND JJordanI know what you're saying about the lazy supervisors, there are some of them around. But there are also the supervisors that have been beaten, chewed-up, and spit out, for trying to discipline slugs, just to see them (the slugs) return with back-pay in their pockets and an "I got you" grin on their face. So some of them have a "why-bother" attitude. Can you blame them? And in those situations the co-workers lose too!

Heck, these days it's pretty tough to terminate a non-union employee! (See my first comment above)

O.K. Back on my head!

Walt

alphadude

« Reply #264 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:40 »
all you got to do for a nonunion is build a case- its real easy. 

for a union type i would have to build a case, take it to the union, put the person on an improvement program, for 90 days, track their improvement and if all goes poorly he or she is history.

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
« Reply #265 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:57 »
 :) Dont some companies already have to some degree that type of program in place  ??? without me paying union dues for it  ::)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #266 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:19 »
:) Dont some companies already have to some degree that type of program in place  ??? without me paying union dues for it  ::)

Ummm...Yes, like almost all of them.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Walt Harris

• Moderate User
« Reply #267 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:15 »
Tina,
 If you want to be included, you have to sign a card! Raise your issues when you secure the right to bargin collectivly. If you want a voice, you have to vote. JJ

In my (feeble, aged) mind, right now I have a voice AND the freedom to speak my mind, make choices based on pay/location/work conditions etc. When I "sign-a-card" I could very well forfeit those freedoms to the majority collective vote. If I've built a reputation (and in some instances a little higher pay-rate) based on the fact that I am trustworthy, competent and knowledgeable in what I do, there is the REAL possibility of losing some or all of that to a "Seniority List". Once the negotiations begin, there will be a chosen few sitting down to hash everything out for the whole bunch. Compromises are inevitable, and like the pork bills in congress you will have to swallow the good and bad together, or not at all.

So you see a-dude, I believe there are more than a few reasons why us crusty-old, soon-to-be in the HP retirement home geezers would "just say no"!

Walt

alphadude

« Reply #268 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:02 »
as always there are exceptions

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #269 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:55 »
Companies with Degree Programs?  In reality I guess they all do, so long as YOU pay for it!  Name one that will sponser a degree and pay the fee?  If you know of one, please let us know!  Have fun on your search!

How about the real issues:

Let’s look at the trends over the past couple of years.  

Wage increases........Technicians….LESS THAN POOR,  Company Management....MOST EXCELLENT!

Per Diem Rates........Below Recognized/Printed/Acceptable Government Standards, but increasing!

Travel Expenses.......CAPPED CRAP!

Training........Best that you can afford out of your own pocket!

Medical........Do I really have to say anything?

Vision, Dental, Prescription........I know, that's Ridiculous!

Vacation Pay........Poor if you can get it and unavailable to about 90 percent of the work force!

Holiday Pay........About three slices of pizza, if your first in line!

Sick Pay……..What a sick joke!

Sorry, just my opinion, but these appear to be the issues of today and probably tomorrow.

Anybody want to debate those?

JJ, you first, join the IBEW, sign a card and pay the dues.  There are many organizational options besides joining an existing union.  I currently hold a card from the IBEW, also a white card from the Hoffa organization in Philly.  I have also been a member of two other unions, due to closed shop rules.  The pre existing organizations have their plus's and minus's, but I don't believe many could fairly represent our discipline.  All existing unions were founded with a specific agenda, for a specific population of individuals.  Health Physics seems to be a mystery to most people outside of a radiological environment.  Hell, even using the wrong acronym, at some facilities, draws a blank stare from the workers!  What's an HP, RCT, RADCON, RP?  Joining one of those organizations, because they already exist and have a contract in place, would probably prove to be unfavorable.  I don’t believe a membership consisting of a couple of thousand T&D employees would consider my interests during a contract vote.  I will agree that there are probably some existing organizations that have ideals close to ours, but they need to be researched.

Tina, I assume you’re a NO vote, no matter what!  Seems that you have some grievances from the past that were not addressed to your satisfaction.  How about today?  If the situations repeated themselves, what would your course of resolve be?  You also offered one very valid point in one of your recent postings, knowing you are receiving the same training, pay and benefits as your union brothers and sister, co-workers.  I'll add outages or any other applicable facility!  If you have that venue now, I suggest you keep your location top secret.  If not, you'll have a hundred techs on the phone, scrapping for your job!  By the way, one company is currently flashing the marquee of opportunity for DOE techs to enter the commercial industry, study guide included.  I suggest NOT, but the opportunity is there to branch out!

Walt, it took me a little longer on the resume thingy, but I agree in general.  Our discipline is primarily based on experience, or "Skill's of the Trade" as it is referred to in ANSI Standards.  In my opinion, about 10% education and a 90% combination of public relations, common sense and experience!  Stop and think for a minute, what if the education level increased in the work force?  Technicians who not only know what their doing in the field, but why they're doing it!  The trend of today’s industry is ramping upwards in the number of incidents, which coincidently are repeats of past events.  Yep, the same S##T, different decade and it is a recognized and identified trend.  Would more training make them a better technician?  Probably wouldn't hurt!  Diversification would be be my suggestion on the training issue.  Technicians that could walk into any situation and feel comfortable.  I want to offer Tina the opportunity to Certify an RGD, walk into a TRU project, run a Crit-Safe program, or cover a S/G project and have the knowledge and comfort level to do the job!  I surely cant teach her how to carry the meter, but I can draw her focus on the radiological concerns!  Walt, I dont know your experience, but I want to be able to drop a part 61 sample program on your desk and expect regulatory compliance in two weeks!

I am also with Walt on the dues issue.  That seems to be the world of today, Pay-Per-View.  If you want something better, you have to pay to see it!  Na, I'm one of those cheap stingy bastards who needs to see the fine print, before signing the doted line.  If an existing organization really wants to entice us, let them post their proposal on this site for review!  Until then I believe we would do better on our own, coyotes or not!  I love that Coyote comment, I've seen them in action!

Walt, your not feeble and I respect your dedication to the industry, 25 +years, KUDOS+ and a pat on the back!

Sorry Alphadude...TRAINING...Divers ified Training in ALL Health Physics Disciplines, for all who want it!  That’s a tall order, but the resources are available!  I don’t know for how much longer, but they are available today!

Bat Man, what do you want?  I hate to be curt, but you keep repeating seniority, seniority and seniority as your primary point of contention!  I believe a suggestion was offered on merit based opportunities, driven by the customers request's.  Actually as I read back on the thread, it seems that you simply want the upper edge, in all cases!  What if the plant wants me, or what if the contract company wants me?  This may come as a big surprise, but there are still a lot of high quality techs available in the industry!  You may be at the top of the list, but you’re not alone!  If a tech worked a plant, over the past ten consecutive outages, do you deserve his opportunity simply because you’re the contract company poster child?  Sorry if I offended you, but never ask for more than your willing to give!

You did offer an interesting aspect to the A & B list of the companies.  What if you made the A list as number 45, (You can't all be #1), and the customer only requested 44?  Looks like the company screwed you, you should have been number 1, 2, 24 or whatever!  How do you know this hasn't happened?  To date it sounds like you've had a pretty good run on opportunities, but then again what have you been offered vs. what is actually available?  Sometimes you just never know!  I believe the most important issue with assignments, is to know what assignments are available, not channeled opportunities offered by the companies!

In summation, lets wrap it all up, the bottom line! What have you really aquired from your employment opportunities, the bottom cash figure.  Convert everything to cash and figure it out!  

Lets go with, $26.00 an hour & $100.00 a day PD, then add your benefit package.

Lets say 72 hours per week!

WOW, $41.50 per hour gross!

Now add benefits, still $41.50 per hour, less if you take the insurance!

Toss in Taxes, per hour, $2.50 ss/med, $1.50 - 2.50 State, $6.00 Federal....Sound about right?

WOW, $31.50 per hour take home....SWEET!

Wait a minute, double living expenses:

Motel, meals, laundry, phone, gas, vehicle ware & tare, tolls and whatever $5.00 per work hour, we always live cheaper on the road!

Now that's the sweet life, take home about $26.50 an hours and a thousand+ miles from the home and family!

Wait a minute, I forgot home expenses!  I know you have then anyway, but guess what, your paying for something you can't use, or see!

Toss in another $5.00 per hour, for that vacation place you call home!

Man, now we're talking real gravy, about $21.50 per hour take home, without misc expenses!  Anybody wonder why so many of the old timer left the gravy boat!

Respect to all, just my opinion, RG!

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007, 06:09 by RAD-GHOST »

illegalsmile

« Reply #270 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:34 »
all you got to do for a nonunion is build a case- its real easy. 

for a union type i would have to build a case, take it to the union, put the person on an improvement program, for 90 days, track their improvement and if all goes poorly he or she is history.
actually, for a non-union tech, all you have to do is tell them not to come to work anymore

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #271 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:41 »
Hey RG,

I agree on most if not all points made...... For college degree expenses try PNNL. If it is related to your discipline( very broadly) they will pay for it....... I was road tech, then I did a commercial D&D (Rowe) and finally went DOE house or at least permatractor..... I am union now with IBEW and as far as I am concerned I was better off without the union. I was always able to work where I wanted and when I wanted at an acceptable rate of pay to me. Yes we have good benefits and wages here and that is why I am still an employee here, but I saw something in your post about the good of the collective vs the good of yourself and it rang true. Just remember if you do sign a card to look around and find the most "political" tech in the group and they will be the ones representing the "collectives" view point to management. After having watched our last Business agent here promote himself to a management labor relations position when he should have been representing our views I have had about all that I can take of unions. If it wasn't for the pay and bene's here I would be long gone. Part of the credit for the bene's goes to the union......But I could find work for equivalent packages without the union........

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #272 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:09 »

Bat Man, what do you want?  I hate to be curt, but you keep repeating seniority, seniority and seniority as your primary point of contention!  I believe a suggestion was offered on merit based opportunities, driven by the customers request's.  Actually as I read back on the thread, it seems that you simply want the upper edge, in all cases!  What if the plant wants me, or what if the contract company wants me?  This may come as a big surprise, but there are still a lot of high quality techs available in the industry!  You may be at the top of the list, but you’re not alone!  If a tech worked a plant, over the past ten consecutive outages, do you deserve his opportunity simply because you’re the contract company poster child?  Sorry if I offended you, but never ask for more than your willing to give!

What do I want?  Very simple...I want what I already have.  A job that lets me make a decent living, choose where I want to work, rewards me for a job well done and average wages and perdiem go up to a degree that you would never see on average in other industries.  My comments on senority are based on what I fear would happen if we had this union.
So let me take a whack at a couple of the points you were making.
And, lets all keep in mind the fact that we as rent a techs, are nothing more than temporary labor.  If you have read my previous posts you will see that it is something that I have had plenty of experience with from the standpoint of managing a business in a previous life.

Wage increases...1998 to 2006 I noticed an average wage increase of over 6%/year and perdiem doubled.  Hmmm...Seems like a pretty good trend line...again, we are temp. staff.

Travel Expenses...I have yet to ever use all of the money that I recieved in travel expense on any outage that I have gone to.  We are owed exactally the amount of $$ that it takes for us to get from point A to point B, travel expense is not income.  That is a realistic viewpoint, I will not tell you that I do not like the extra money for the plants that are not capped, but I do appreciate it because I don't think it is owed.

Training...It would be great to get better training and I have touched on that in a previous post but here is a question for you.  Did the doctor, lawyer, engineer, marketing executive, CAD operator have to pay for their college education?

Medical...Again, we are temporary staff and in most cases work only part of the year.

In fact I will put the last 3 together.

Vacation, Holiday pay, sick pay...WE WORK FOR A TEMP. AGENCY.

If you want all of these things you need to be looking for a house job.  There are more of them available than I have ever seen and it is only going to get better in the future.  It is completely unrealistic to think temporary road techs should get the same deal as house techs.  I wish it were different but that is just plain ole business management 101, the math just can't work out that way.
And by the way, all of you that are spouting off that the union is a great idea for rent a techs and you are sitting in a full time position at a utility or DOE site etc., it is different.  What works for you in your house job will not necessarily work for those of us on the road.  We have different needs, you deal with one site, we are concerned with many sites and the choices that we may or may not have to work at these different sites.  You work for a utility, we work for a temporary agency.

R.Ghost, you sound like you are bitter about your career.  It is a very common thing in this business.  I would suggest getting out for a while and checking out the grass on the other side.  It isn't greener grass, it is just different grass.  I did for 8 years and now I am back, I like this grass on this side, some like the grass on the other side.

I do appreciate your opinions on me and my post but, you don't know me at all.

I have never considered myself a contract employer poster child, I am simply adequate, there are many that are better, there are many that are worse, I am just adequate.  Maybe I have developed a better network than some.

It's all good, thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 01:35 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

jjordan

« Reply #273 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:57 »
RG,
You were doing really great, I think you missed a few though. Retirement pension- none. 401k match, $100.00- PLEASE? Due Process, Legal Counsel, representation, none, none, none! Then came your comments to me. I think you're on target on a lot of thing, but I think you're missing something here, but so are most of the others also. The IBEW is an already existing organization, and yes they want you all to join. The part you all are missing is that they want to help you represent yourselves. They don't send someone down from DC or NY in a stretch limo to assume the Buisiness Manager position, you elect one from your ranks, yes usually one of the more political. You have to pick the right one. If you pick a self serving individual, and he takes you and your local deep, shame on you for not making a better more educated choice! All is not lost, you can still remove and replace him. But please stop blaming the IBEW for bad decsions they didn't make, the local unions or you did! Hope this clarifies some things for some people.I too still carry a current card with a union(not IBEW) I've had it since 75. I haven't needed it since about 83, but still pay my dues. Now to clear up some of the missconceptions about the traing issues. My dues are currently $26.00/ month. I'm eligible for a lot of FREEtraining. No wait, I pay $312/ year. I can take the 40 hr hazwhopper course, except they've expanded it to 80 hrs. You get the pleasure of actually doing real hands on, fully encapsulated suits SCBA's and all. The have any and all equipment you'ld find at a real hazmat site. Find that somewhere and tell me what you'ld pay. Oh they also give you travel pay and feed you lunch. I'd be driving from NC to PA at the federal rate, ya'll aer smart do the math. Oh I almost forgot, I'm away from home, so they'll pay for a motel for me too! ya'll working that calculator? Probably not, you've got your minds made up, and don't really want to hear something that is outside of the BS you hear in the break trailers. OK I can also do the Supervisor training, asbestos, and supervisors, lead abatemant, and supervisors. and a myrid of others not pertaing to what HP's and deconners do. But I've used all of thees at one time or another, and having theese OSHA certified skills has actually opened a few doors, and given me preference at a lot of jobs because the cheap __s contractors don't want to pay for the course, and your wages for 40 hrs. When they can slap me on the __s and tell me to go get me some the very first day of employment! Sometimes a physical is required for work, and they usually try to get you to get one from your hospitalization so they don't have to pay for that either, even though it's required by law! You still sure thees companies have your best interests in mind? The unions will provide training for the trainers. They will provide whatever you deem pertinent to your proffession. Why, because you are the union, you vote and decide what you need. If you want and or need the NEU, or NRRPT, they'll provide a certified proctor and administer the test. It's nice to go to a site and not have the pressure of having to pass a test to secure employment, the pressure increases expontentially too, as the distance from home does I still remember, becuase I ain't nearly as smart as you all. The pitance you pay monthly does a lot of good things for all of the members, you just have to be smart enough to take advantge of this. Sorry if I've offended anyone, didn't mean too. Agin my 2 cents worth!
JJ 8)

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
« Reply #274 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:36 »
 :) Humm lets see I'm a traveling tech and have worked for sevral differant companies smalll & large and I have had the options to get into their 401K programs and "take" or "not take" their insurance as well as "their holiday/vacation packages" .... (and its my choice, not a group decison that is made for me) .... if I choose not to take them the companies usally gives me a higher hourly rate of pay .... but, if I do take them I'm still paid at the going rate ... and as for per diem I usally get a good rate on that too or I move on to the company that will give me "the good rate" .... as Ive said before I get all these benefits already without paying a union due for it ..... I dont feel  I'd get my money's worth out of joining a union ..... for things I already have and without the extra agravation of a union being envoled with my future hiring opertunities... because of their seniority rules or the political favorite of the week .... I believe like a few others out here that an employee should be judged on an individual bases for the past work they have done ... check their referances and past employment to verify their qualifications .... throw them a bone and watch to see if their as good as they can be .... mentor the fresh techs that are out there trying to make a living in a new field of work ..... to me a union is just a polite way of having a "Good Ole Boy" system in place .... with little recorse for the non-majority .... like I stated before Unions were good in the old days where they were setting the ground work for the labor industries but to me we as an american job force have out grown them and the need for them .... they cant give me what I already get on my own and only offer me more difficulty when being hired and want me to pay dues for the privilege .... 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?