Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu English/writing skills

Author Topic: English/writing skills  (Read 11472 times)

longball4414

English/writing skills
« on: Dec 30, 2006, 06:45 »
I've never really excelled in english during highschool. It always took me a lot of extra effort to write the easiest papers for class. However, math has always been my thing and was a bit easier for me than others.

How important are english/writing skills to being a successful nuke?

I believe I scored an 82 on the asvab and a 55 on the nuke test (somewhere around there). Before I make any decisions I just wanna make sure I'm not signing myself up for failure. Writing is difficult for me I don't know why. I suppose I haven't had enough practice. I hear things about how smart nukes are and such, but I don't consider myself to be a rocket scientist.

I have the option to go into the Navy Nuke program or go to college to learn more. Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

Rad Sponge

Re: English/writing skills
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:02 »
I've never really excelled in english during highschool. It always took me a lot of extra effort to write the easiest papers for class. However, math has always been my thing and was a bit easier for me than others.

How important are english/writing skills to being a successful nuke?

I believe I scored an 82 on the asvab and a 55 on the nuke test (somewhere around there). Before I make any decisions I just wanna make sure I'm not signing myself up for failure. Writing is difficult for me I don't know why. I suppose I haven't had enough practice. I hear things about how smart nukes are and such, but I don't consider myself to be a rocket scientist.

I have the option to go into the Navy Nuke program or go to college to learn more. Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

Regardless of your future plans, command of the English language is essential to becoming a successful adult.

longball4414

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:07 »

Regardless of your future plans, command of the English language is essential to becoming a successful adult.

Har har. I figured somebody would say that. I was looking for an answer more along the lines of the type of homework and study. Do you have to write papers on a regular basis? Or is it directed more towards problem solving.

Rahrah

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:11 »

Writing is difficult for me I don't know why. I suppose I haven't had enough practice.

Everything is difficult before it becomes easy.  Learn how to use a dictionary and use it frequently.  If you're not sure about something- don't guess.  Look it up.  It's always worked for me

Good luck!

Rad Sponge

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:14 »
Har har. I figured somebody would say that. I was looking for an answer more along the lines of the type of homework and study. Do you have to write papers on a regular basis? Or is it directed more towards problem solving.

Papers? No. Problem solving? Yes.

But, all tests are essay-meaning you have to be able to clearly demonstrate knowledge by writing clearly coherent statements regarding complicated subject matters.

As you progress into leadership you will be expected to write technical documents and papers on a variety of subjects.

No one will be expecting doctoral dissertations, but you need to be able to express your thoughts clearly whether its an e-mail or a technical review of a procedural change.

Strong math skills is fine, but being able to communicate is paramount.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:22 »
   ...it looks as if you have not objectively noticed the effective and disarming sincerity currently displayed in your writing...

longball4414

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:23 »
Papers? No. Problem solving? Yes.

But, all tests are essay-meaning you have to be able to clearly demonstrate knowledge by writing clearly coherent statements regarding complicated subject matters.

As you progress into leadership you will be expected to write technical documents and papers on a variety of subjects.

No one will be expecting doctoral dissertations, but you need to be able to express your thoughts clearly whether its an e-mail or a technical review of a procedural change.

Strong math skills is fine, but being able to communicate is paramount.

Thank you for answering my question, but being able to communicate is not my concern. Having strong writing skills as a necessity to being a successful "nuke" is my concern. I would also like to thank you, JMK for the life lesson that you must be able to speak and write in the English language to be successful in any career path within the United States.

longball4414

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2006, 07:26 »
Everything is difficult before it becomes easy.  Learn how to use a dictionary and use it frequently.  If you're not sure about something- don't guess.  Look it up.  It's always worked for me

Good luck!

Thanks, I'm also wondering if there are any people like me (strong in math/science, but not so much writing) who have made it through nuke school.

Offline thompson63

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:30 »
I was in class 8307 in Orlando.  Just like you, I was very strong in math and science and weak in writing.  It wasn't like I could not write at all but had a hard time expressing my thoughts on paper.  After high school graduation in 1981, I attended Auburn University for a year and made three C's in English composition.  Even though I was weak in writing, I was very technical in my thought process and could verbally explain things extremely well.  I finished nuke school with a 3.30 average and went to prototype in Ballston Spa, NY.  My technical aptitude allowed me to be the first student to qualify at all four sites, accepted and finished first in my class at ELT school and selected as a staff pick-up instructor.  Once my was tour was completed in NY, I spent four years as the Leading ELT on the USS Daniel Boone and also stood watch as Engineering Watch Supervisor.  Overall, I progressed well during my eight years in the Navy even though I was not an outstanding writer.  I did however, work hard to improve my writing skills by attending classes in my spare time. 
Just remember, don't let your weakness in English and writing overshadow your strengths in math and science.  Perfect your strengths and let that overshadow your weakness.
In closing, I can not tell you that you would not struggle in nuclear power school.  To this day, and I am 44 years old, it was and still is most difficult school I have ever attended.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:55 »
I noticed your writing doesn't seem to be that bad.  You should be fine as a nuke.  More basic stuff as a nuke.  You won't be writing papers and such.  One of the biggest problems concening communication in nuke school is on an essay test if you don't have the EXACT KEY WORD or TRICKY PHRASE, you may get points deducted even if you know the correct answer because the instructor grading may not know what you are trying to say.  Here is the only major pitfall I see for poor writing ability.  I was not a memorizer in nuke school, I learned the material, so I had to watch for this especially, since I learned the concept not the key word.

longball4414

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2006, 05:27 »
I appreciate the input. So basically this applies to the motto that "if you work hard at it, you will succeed" or somethin like that as long as you pass the test in the beginning :).

longball4414

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2006, 05:30 »
It wasn't like I could not write at all but had a hard time expressing my thoughts on paper. 

Thats the problem I have. I make things far too difficult when writing papers and tend to over-think things.

Rahrah

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2006, 07:51 »
Most people make that distinction- oral communication or written.  It helps to write things down just like you are talking to someone.  It makes things easier to understand for the writer and the reader.  Remember you can always rewrite too.  Don't think it has to be perfect on the first draft.  I love communication and have been made fun of because of my attachment to the nearest dictionary.  There are worse things to be obsessed with I guess.

Rah rah
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2006, 07:52 by Rahrah »

Austria

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2006, 07:51 »
From what I've seen of your writing on this board, your english skills are more than good enough to get you through nuke school. (for what it's worth, I am certified to teach english as a second language by Cambridge University in England)
As for how hard it is, well....it's set up on a kind of curve so that everyone ends up working just as hard as the next guy. Sure, there are a few genius exceptions in every class, but they want the maximum out of each individual so everyone gets pushed to achieve that.
I was in class 8103 when they had school in Orlando and was placed in section 2 (dumber than a box of rocks, as we used to say). While we were working our way through algebra, for example, there might be guys in section 12 (rocket scientists) doing differential calculus. It's hard for everyone. Like thompson63, I feel that this was the most difficult school I've ever been through. But it was one great education and combined with my experience in the fleet it opened many doors later on in life both in and out of the nuclear business.
Anyways, back to the english. Don't sweat it. What writing you do will be more technical in nature for survey maps, progress reports, etc... And the navy has its' own way of communicating that you will learn along the way.

Personally, I think the Navy Nuke program is a great way to go. Whatever you decide, good luck! 

Rahrah

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2006, 08:01 »

Anyways, back to the english. Don't sweat it. What writing you do will be more technical in nature for survey maps, progress reports, etc...  
I just completed my first outage after being out of the business for 20 years.  I had to do more descriptive writing than technical during the job.  Yes you have to be technical and precise but when you have personnel problems and management wants a statement.  That's when writing becomes a challange.  Like Austria said, don't sweat it.  Just write

Rahrah

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:32 »
For a nuke, the writing skills necessary are those that you seem to posess.  You need to be able to convey your thoughts clearly.  You can do that.  Your spelling, punctuation, grammar, and all that stuff are better than a lot that I've seen in my years as a nuke.

Y'know Austria, I was in Section 1 - the section that is expected to cease existence before the comp.  For some reason, class 8103 must have been unusually bright.  We graduated over 20 MM's, a feat that was practically mythical in proportion compared to those who went before.  So, being in section 2 wasn't as big a disgrace as you might have thought.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

longball4414

« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2006, 02:09 »
Again thanks for the input everyone. I feel better about going already! So how does this "section" system work? Do they place you in a section depending on how well you do on a test or how fast you are able to progress through the system? Is it a test for mathematics and depending on how well you do you may be able to pass a lesson or two or more in math?
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2006, 02:13 by longball4414 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2006, 02:11 »
No thread on writing skills can be complete without an entry from SloGlo... ;D

JohnWayne75042

How important are oral skills?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:38 »
I am seriously thinking of joining the Navy in order to become a nuke.  Only problem is, I have a serious problem speaking when it comes to in depth subject matter.  If they issue out oral tests, I know I am destined to fail them.  Please tell me, if one's oral skills are weak, should they look into a different rate?

Thank you for your responses.

navytwinmom

Re: How important are oral skills?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:38 »
My sons are in a school right now and have had 0 oral tests. I know in bootcamp there was a lot of oral stuff....general orders and such but in school not any so far.

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2007, 12:42 by honeycomb »

shayne

« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:04 »
Oral skills shouldn't be a reason to not become a nuke.  At prototype you will have to use your oral skills (Not anything like public speaking in large crowds).  You will have to be able to explain how things work to demonstrate that understand the material.  Drawing pictures to help explain the concepts while talking about it is allowed.  Your final board is an oral board in which you will be in front of 2 or 3 instructors answering questions.  You will have a white board to write/draw on.  However, by time you reach a final board, you will have lots of practice at explaining concepts to instructors and it really shouldn't be much of problem.  Most students that have done poorly in oral boards was generally because of the lack of knowledge in the subjects and not so much the ability to speak.  Typically the students that did poorly in the boards I sat wasn't because they didn't know the material or couldn't explain concepts, but because they would start to grade themselves.  Just about the time they believed they were failing the exam, they could no longer answer the simplest of questions with any confidence.

JohnWayne75042

« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:20 »
I did not expect responses to come so quickly.  Again, thank you.

From how I'm perceiving things, it isn't necessary for speech to be longer than spurts of 30 seconds or so unless on the final board? 

navytwinmom

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:47 »
forgot to mention...I personall hate public speaking about off the cuff subjects. Now if you ask my parents from the time I could talk I did...and would not shut up. As I grew up and got into the business world (and yes the Navy is a business too) I do not have trouble speaking up. I feel comfortable speaking about subject I know about even if I do not know everthing I can get though.

So my advise.....speaking groups are good or just practice speaking to your self about subject you know. Watch yourself in a mirror or video tape your self....cause when you are speaking you do not alway catch you hand gestures or possibly even verbal pauses...that is like when you are talking and like say like to much  ;D or ummmm or you know. This will not just help you in school but in life....interviews and evaluations stuff like that.

Best wishes to you!!

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:38 »
johnwayne,

Don't sweat it seriously...you will have plenty of oppurtunities to improve your speech abilities while in A school alone...the lessons do require a in depth understanding of equipment, and the instructors will ask you on more than one occasion to explain verbally... if you still do not have confidence while durin A school, then visit and NDI or see your instructor and I GUARENTEE they will be more than happy to help.

I had many doubts in what I could do, but I've received nothing short of full support to help me when needed.

good luck,
Dennis

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?