Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke

Author Topic: Navy Nuke  (Read 5662 times)

Kalden1701

Navy Nuke
« on: Jan 08, 2007, 12:37 »
Sailors,

I am currently twenty years old, I have two years of college experience under my belt with some NROTC, and an Eagle Scout award.  I am also currently enlisted in the Navy as an ET with the Nuclear Power Program; I leave in less than ten days for Boot Camp.

To the topic, during my time in college I ran into a little bit of trouble, which I can honestly say was the first time in my life; I defaced private property by keying a car.  This later became classified as a misdemeanor.  Without pressure from any third party, I stepped forward and took full responsibility for my actions and took every step necessary to fully compensate for the damage as well as complete a Diversion program to pardon any charges.  However, because of my actions the owner of the property which I damaged filed a restraining order through the university (as it happened on university property) - which, I believe, was because I am young and to help prevent any future damages.  Even though the order was filed, I was never asked to come downtown, I was only advised of the situation and signed a document stating that I understood the situation, and I never broke the order.  This incident did not get me kicked out of college, I personally decided to pull myself because I decided that due to my actions, although I know am college material, it just is not the place for me for the time being.

I was never arrested, and/or detained during the incident, and my fingerprints were never taken.  And, no charges were ever pressed against me.  I'll never understand myself why I did what I did; I know "everyone" says this, but my past actions truly do not reflect what kind of person I really am.  This was the first time, and so far (two years later) I can still say that it's the ONLY time I've made such an irresponsible decision.  Even without considering this incident I can say that I was too immature to attend college, but have matured greatly because of it.

All loose ends from the incident have been tied up, but I am worried about how both
(a) the defacement
and, even moreso (b) the restraining order filed through the university
will affect my career with the Navy.  Please don't misunderstand, I did not enlist in the Navy to "escape" this darker chapter, rather, I enlisted to take the next step with where I was in ROTC, to pursue my dream of being a Sailor, and to really get back to who I am - a responsible and dedicated individual. 

I spoke with my recruiter very thoroughly about this subject and he said that when he ran a background check on me from his office, the only thing that appeared was the file on the misdemeanor, which was also highlighted as fully pardoned - nothing about the restraining order showed up on the check.  He also said that I would be fine, none of the Navy's classifiers would see/care about it because there were no fingerprints, and that the Nuke program would not be taken away from me unless I decided to switch to another rating.

It's been nearly five months since my initial trip to MEPS and my enlistment as a Nuke with the Navy, and no one has ever approached me about the order and my recruiter has said that this only supports his original statement of "don't worry, this won't ruin your Nuke opportunity even through Boot."

I don't mean for this post to sound like one of those stereotypical "I enlisted because I've got a bad record" - save for my stupid decision in college, I have an outstanding record and have been told by many officers that I am officer material.  I plan on going back to college and finishing it flawlessly, and continuing to live as a responsible individual and responsible Sailor and to continue to view my past college experience as a stern learning experience.

Thank you in advance for reading my post.  I would appreciate any advice or input that any readers of this post could offer, and any suggestions as to what to do next as I get closer to Boot Camp regarding the incident and it's consequences.

**Edit: the restraining order was a temporary RO, and only lasted a year and was not re-filed.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2007, 12:41 by Kalden1701 »

Charles U Farley

Re: Navy Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007, 05:36 »
Don't worry about it.  You've already been candid with your recruiter.  I assume you have a waiver for the misdeamenor.  Your "youthful indescretions" have been documented and are in the past.  I am sure TLC makes a life lesson figurine for your scenario.

And, for what it is worth,  my best friend in A-school enlisted because the judge gave him an ultimatum.  He robbed a bank, tried to, at least.  Ironically, throughout the pipeline, he was the only one I trusted implicitly. 

redimsok

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:07 »
yup, he's absolutely correct. let me put it this way, a guy in my division at boot camp (not a nuke but its just an example) came clean w/ a felony he hadn't told the navy about. this was about 2 weeks INTO boot camp. he was hardly punished, there was a note in his service record but he still graduated w/ us and is now in corpsman school.

now the nuke field is a little more strict and it might take you a little longer to get your security clearance, but you'll get it. don't worry about it. The navy has a great policy of not caring what you did in high school, or college or any part of your life before the navy, once your here all that matters is what you do IN the navy. the chances are that after boot camp, noone will ever ask you about it again (and then probably only once or twice in the first couple weeks)

So until you leave for boot camp have some fun, go crazy, get any drinking in you wanna do b/c underage drinking after you are in is the quickest way to get kicked out of this program. take boot camp for what it is, a gigantic mind game, and then come to charleston and study hard in school. you'll be fine

fridayfred3p

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:55 »

So until you leave for boot camp have some fun, go crazy, get any drinking in you wanna do b/c underage drinking after you are in is the quickest way to get kicked out of this program. take boot camp for what it is, a gigantic mind game, and then come to charleston and study hard in school. you'll be fine

That is the stupidest thing I've heard, think about what a  underage drinking ticket will do the his "nuke status" a week or two before boot camp.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:58 »
Once you enter into enlistment or a DEP an underage drinking bust will probably get you dropped from nuke. My brother-inlaw was a dep'er when he got caught for underage drinking and lost his nuke designation, he still had to fulfill his enlistment obligation. They may forgive you a prior if you fess up but once the hook is set the Navy is not so forgiving.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2007, 08:31 by Marlin »

Charles U Farley

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:53 »
The point I tried to make, but don't think I did earlier was, integrity.  You have made some poor decisions.  You have been honest about it, and the navy is making an assumption that you are going to be on the straight and narrow from now on.

In the nuclear navy, and in life general, it is unnacceptable to knowingly and willingly do wrong.  Alcohol, pot, personnal property damage, whatever, it doesn't matter.  In this profession, we cannot and will not condone illicit behavior.  Like I said, your indescretions have been noted.  You've f****d up once.  Don't do it again.

Best of luck.  Just listen, and you'll be fine.

SRBall

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2007, 06:06 »
Gracious-I was told I might get dropped from Nuke status for getting married.

It didn't happen, but scuttlebutt will be scuttlebutt.

This sounds like something you need to forgive yourself for, because the Navy obviously knows and forgives you for it. *shrug* That's just my opinion, though.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?