Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Color vision deficiency fails me honeypot

Author Topic: Color vision deficiency fails me  (Read 16739 times)

Itzhakway

Color vision deficiency fails me
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:05 »
Yesterday I passed ASVAB with 98 and today I failed the color vision test. The counselor told me that I can’t get into any of the nuke ratings.
Is there any way for me to get there? I’ll appreciate any advise. Please, and thanks.

Itzhakway

Re: Color vision deficiency fails me
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:16 »
"I hope that one of our Recruiters has a chance to respond."

Me too.
Recruiters, anybody, please help.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2007, 10:58 by Itzhakway »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2007, 12:54 »
I fail that test most of the time too.  About 25% of men have trouble telling the red dots among the green ones.  I think there is a waiver for this as long as you are not totally color blind (which is extremely rare).
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

jamdaws

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2007, 02:57 »
I usually fail the first test also...they usually have three different tests and you only need to pass one of them.  If you fail the Ishihara test (the colored dots) they should give you the lantern test (Anomaloscope) where you distinguish between colored lights.  If they only gave you the Ishihara have them retest you.  The Ishihara is notoriously unreliable.  It is a good first indicator but hardly conclusive.  I can always pass the lanter test.  The third test isn't always given....it is similar to the Ishihara but not available all the time.  Good luck.

Itzhakway

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2007, 03:58 »
There is a Dr who prescribe color vision deficient correction lenses and he guaranty passing the Ishihara test. My recruiter said that if I’ll bring two reports from two eye doctors that I passed the Ishihara test, the navy may accept them.
Anyone knows anything about it? The eye doctor is going to charge me up to $5000 for the check-up and the lenses.
It’s a lot of money, but I’ll pay so I can get into the Nuke Program.
However, there is no guaranty that the navy will accept those reports. Anyone has any experience here?

Itzhakway

I passed the ASVAB with 98 and qualified for Nuke and all other high-tech ratings, but failed the ISHIHARA color blindness test and was excluded from Nuke and all high-tech ratings. My recruiter try to convince me to sign as a corpsman and he said once I am in, I can apply for waiver and transfer to Nuke. I know there are no waivers for color deficiency, so I suspect my recruiter is uninformed on this subject.
I know nothing of corpsman job. Although I don’t look like a nerd, I am a nerd. Computers and high-tech jobs are my bread and butter.
Will I be happy as a corpsman? Are there any high-tech jobs for corpsman? 
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2007, 07:26 by Itzhakway »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
I know nothing of corpsman job. Although I don’t look like a nerd, I am a nerd. Computers and high-tech jobs are my bread and butter.
Will I be happy as a corpsman? Are there any high-tech jobs for corpsman? 

When you think corpsman - think EMT / RN - it is medical. Also think Marines - when the marines in the field yell "Medic" - that's a Navy Corpsman. Gotta have good people skills, cool under pressure, strong desire to help people.
Generally tech types prefer technology over people.
Have your recruiter concentrate instead on helping you get access to one of the other methods to pass the color test - don't sign anything with the "promise" that YOU can get it fixed after you are in.
Had a guy on my boat that was promised duty with the Navy Band - the recruiter signed him up for the Theatrical Musician rating (TM). He sounded good in the torpedo rooom.......
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Itzhakway

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:47 »
"Have your recruiter concentrate instead on helping you get access to one of the other methods to pass the color test"

What methods can I ask for? My recruiter insist on corpsman for me. I refused him. I can get prescription color correction glasses, but in boot camp I’ll have to pass color test again and the boot camp informed me that I can use there only Navy issued prescription glasses and the navy does not issue color correction glasses. (They did not even knew that such glasses exists).

redimsok

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:56 »
I can't say that there is not way at all to get a waver but i will say this, I just graduated from boot camp about a month ago. we had 3 nukes in my division who had been told at meps that they "should" be able to get a waiver for being partially color blind. they came to boot camp went to medical. failed their first test, took one more and then were immediately reclassified. they lost their enlistment bonuses, e-3 and all the other advantages of being nukes. 2 are now seabees and 1 is a corpsman. don't believe anyone that you'll be able to get a waver unless its in writing!

Itzhakway

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:12 »
Well, there is no waiver for color deficiency in the nuke program. I verified it with the Recruiters H.Q. in Tennessee.
Now my recruiter tells me to sign as a corpsman, go through boot camp and when I am assign to a ship, I will take another color test there with non-military-issue color corrective glasses, pass and be reassigned to nuke.
Any comments?
Thanks.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:24 »
Well, there is no waiver for color deficiency in the nuke program. I verified it with the Recruiters H.Q. in Tennessee.
Now my recruiter tells me to sign as a corpsman, go through boot camp and when I am assign to a ship, I will take another color test there with non-military-issue color corrective glasses, pass and be reassigned to nuke.
Any comments?
Thanks.

Since your recruiter demonstrated he'll lie to you, walk away. Do no more business there. Spend some time researching what YOU want in the Navy, then sign with someone else.

Redimsok just gave the most recent and applicable intel, will you use it to your benefit?

Good luck!

Navy2B

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:40 »
Computers and high-tech jobs are my bread and butter.

There *are* high tech jobs (sort of high tech) in different rates, but corpsman is definitely medical. I also recommend working with a different recruiter.

Off the top of my head, there's AECF (also SECF), advanced electronics & computers field or submarine electronics etc. That branches off to either Electronics Technician or Fire controlman fields.

Crypto fields.

Me, I'm going into AECF. I got denied nuke, but I believe I'll personally be happier outside the Power Industry.

Itzhakway

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:17 »
"Me, I'm going into AECF. I got denied nuke"

Why denied? Color blindness?
I am qualified for Nuke, but failed to color perceptive test.
Will I be qualified for AECF?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:46 »
"Me, I'm going into AECF. I got denied nuke"

To those of us out of the lingo - what is AECF?
Just curious.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Itzhakway

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:48 »
AECF= Advanced Electronics / Computer Field

bethlehemstarr

« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:29 »
I did already email you back, but hadn't read the thread here yet-
if you're gung-ho Navy, not able to be a Nuke, then I would insist on taking the DLAB.  It's the test for Crypto-Tech (Interpretive).
It's a great field, they teach you Arabic (well, there's a chance at another language, but with the situation as it is, count on Arabic or perhaps Korean).  You 'spin and grin' which involves listening to three or four different frequencies at the same time, try to find out crazy stuff- interpret..
plus there are some really great options for CIA work, NSA work, that kind of thing.  Bonuses are about equal, quality of life is seemingly a bit better.
It's not nuclear power, but it is a bit 'geeky', and had I known of the field prior, I probably would have gone for it.  Not that I'm not happy with where I ended up, because I am.  However, as to cross-rating... that's a tough sell.
If they need medics, they'll never release you.  Navy is real tricky to cross-rate. 
Good luck, like I said before, I sent your email on to a Nuke recruiter friend of mine, and should hear back from him soon (recruiters work crazy long hours, so 'soon' could be a couple days)

Itzhakway

Seaman Subfarer program SS
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:16 »
"(2) Defective color vision........... Testing will be conducted with the Farnsworth Lantern (FALAN1’). Waiver will be considered for submarine qualified personnel who can demonstrate a functional ability to discern color associated with their work environment;"

Is this true? I have mild color deficiency. Is waiver available?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?