Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Startin power school, need better study habbits!!!

Author Topic: Startin power school, need better study habbits!!!  (Read 16809 times)

cjones2106

Ok, so I squeeked throgh A school w/ a 2.50 and i don't want to do the same at power school. I never had to study in high school, and i never found a good way to study while in a shool...obviously, so i was wondering if any of you had any good study techniques???
Thanks again, you guys are always good w/ my questions!!!

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
Re: Startin power school, need better study habbits!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:26 »
I     The purpose for this introduction is to help you to develop a strategy for success.  True for any course of study—a concrete set of learning tools and a definite plan for using these tools is essential.  This book provides such tools and a plan for their use. 

II   A successful student:  is highly motivated, maintains a positive attitude, is self-disciplined, is organized, knows the fundamental tools for good study and consistently uses them.

A.   Motivation is the justification one will use to develop an attitude.  For a successful student, the most common motivational reasons are pride, the desire for self-improvement, and determination to achieve a goal.   

B.   The successful student has a plan and sticks to it.

C.   Good study habits are worthless unless they are regularly used.

III   Learning is the act of acquiring a skill or knowledge.  Learning is different from memorizing; neither is accomplished by cramming.

A.   Learning and memory is linked by understanding.  Understanding is the recognition between pieces of information memorized.  Therefore, memorization is a prerequisite for success in learning. 

B.   At the heart of learning is creative problem solving.  The fundamental elements to successful problem solving are memorization, organization, concentration, and perseverance.

1.   MEMORIZATION:  you must know, verbatim, the definitions and formulas.  Memorization requires time, at least 20 minutes every day.  Like physical exercise, memorizing a little each day is infinitely better than too much all at once.  Again, don't cram.

a.   Common memorization techniques are:

(1)   ROTE (memorizing by repetition) - The best way to do this is with 3  5 cards.  For example, write a vocabulary word on the front and the definition on the back.  Go through the deck visualizing the vocabulary word, but saying the definition aloud.  Then, turn the card over and read the definition aloud.  If correct, place it in a separate pile.  Otherwise, place that card at the back of the deck.  Continue until you run out of cards in the deck.  An alternate method is to turn the deck over and read the definition and try to say the correct vocabulary word it defines.

(2)   ASSOCIATION (relating new information to something you have already memorized) - This is done frequently with a mnemonic device or an acrostic.  Salespersons use the K-I-S-S approach to sales, a mnemonic device.  That is, Keep It Strictly Simple.  "A Red Indian Thought He Might Eat Turnips In Church" was the way I learned, in the first grade, to spell arithmetic.

(3)   LINKING (putting pieces of information together like links in a chain) - A flow chart is helpful, but this usually depends on personal preference.

2.   ORGANIZATION:  you must have a plan of attack for study, for problem solving, and for knowing you are on the right track.

3.   CONCENTRATION:  you must keep your mind on your work.

4.   PERSEVERANCE:  you must never give up.  Achieving the solution will greatly affect you.  The method(s) used to solve the problem will be retained in memory due to this impact and can be recalled again in future problems—the essence of the learning process.

IV   Establish a routine for doing homework. 

A.   Use a three ring binder with dividers or a spiral notebook with five divided sections.

1.   Assign headings for each section as follows:

a.   ATTRIBUTES TO MASTER

b.   CHAPTER NOTES

c.   ATTRIBUTE HOMEWORK

d.   EXAMPLE HOMEWORK

e.   OPPORTUNITIES

2.   Review previous CHAPTER NOTES for the entire chapter, if applicable.  Pay closest attention to prior weak areas.

3.   In this book, read the black printed notes three times, writing down any questions you may have as you go, using the following format:

a.   First time - read everything assigned that day.

b.   Second time - read everything again with the ATTRIBUTES TO MASTER open beside you.  Copy everything that covers the ATTRIBUTES TO MASTER in the CHAPTER NOTES section in your binder.

c.   Third time - read your CHAPTER NOTES for the entire chapter.

4.   Go see your NDI to get the questions you wrote down answered.

5.   Put your CHAPTER NOTES away:  do homework or opportunities as if it is an exam.  The more you can do without the notes, the better you will do on an exam.  Memory recall cannot and will not improve if you do not take an active role to exercise it.    Homework should be as follows:

a.   In your ATTRIBUTE HOMEWORK section of your binder, make a question out of each attribute and then answer each question.  In your EXAMPLE HOMEWORK section of your binder, copy each example question encountered from the reading, leaving room to answer it.

b.   Use a pencil so you can erase.  Attempt every problem until you finish it or get stuck.  If you get stuck, leave space to finish it later and move on to the next problem.

(1)   If you get stuck for more than a minute, then reread the question to see if you missed anything.

(2)   If rereading the question does not help, move on to the next problem.

c.   Show all work.  All answers should require work or an explanation to show how the answer was obtained.  As a not-so-side note: an answer alone should yield minimum points on a test or quiz and not be enough for an overall passing grade.

d.   After the last problem, go through all the questions a second time, never leave a question blank.  Partial credit is better than no credit at all.

6.   Get your CHAPTER NOTES out: 

a.   Use the notes to figure out what you did wrong on each problem.  Do not finish the problem now.

b.   Check any problems that you were not sure about.  Flag any that are wrong for correction later. 

7.   Put your CHAPTER NOTES away:  try to finish all the problems you could not do before and correct the errors you flagged.

8.   Get your CHAPTER NOTES out:  use the notes to complete any problem(s) you still could not finish or see a parent.

These were the things I did when I was in class 8102 section 8.  I am about to start my MBA, I plan to do similarly.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Charles U Farley

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:48 »
Don't forget that it is a different curriculum as well.  I hated electronics.  And my A-school showed.  I enjoyed nuclear physics and materials.  My power school grades showed.

navytwinmom

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:18 »
now for my 2cents. Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. my sons are in "A" school now and one is stuggleing. I have passed along thier tips and he is doing better. Sleep is super important. most young guys think they indestructable but you are not. you are human and humans need sleep!!

Also eating right is important. Junk creates more junk! my guys are on weekly b12 supplements and vitams. They pretty much only drink water, no soda or coffee, and eat well. Mostly at the galley and they love subway!!

Best wishes to you and thank you for choosing to serve.

What is your Rate?

Donna

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:34 »
hey jones,  its lashley...

my key thing was sleep...i learned that about halfway throught once we started ME...thats my biggest problem.

M1Ark

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:52 »
Ok, so I squeeked throgh A school w/ a 2.50 and i don't want to do the same at power school. I never had to study in high school, and i never found a good way to study while in a shool...obviously, so i was wondering if any of you had any good study techniques???
Thanks again, you guys are always good w/ my questions!!!

Stay away from WOW, MTG and anything else related to D&D.  Follow to the letter the great advice you have been given.

MM1

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:48 »
I also was a "squeaker". I made it with a 2.7 or so and I found that not only was quantity of sleep an issue but timing of sleep was as well. Try to set a tight schedule for all school/study/SLEEP/recreation activities and stick to it. Sleep research has proven that Humans who sleep for 4-5 hours a night at the same time every day are mentally more alert than people who sleep 6-8 hours a day in a random manor. Also be aware that there are "cycles" to sleep that repeat over and over all night. (on average about every 1.5 hours but all people are slightly different) If you sleep for "complete cycles" you will be more rested and better able to learn. To determine what your cycle is try sleeping for slightly different amounts of time and record the difficulty of getting up. easier=closer in tune to "your" cycle.
Surprisingly this helped me a lot...... I was ac boarded at about the 1/3 completed mark with a 2.4 gpa and with lots of help and some determination made it through. Good luck to all in the pipeline and above all.................... Thank you for your service.

Mike  8206
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:40 »
Study techniques and HOW TO TAKE A TEST will come to you as you progress. I was straight out of high school when I enlisted and most of my classmates had some college or even had degrees (darn draft). I struggled at first but my class standing rose throughout the program. Repetition is one of the keys to learning don't try to ingest it 100% the first go around, you are going to have a number subjects spend a little time on each then come back to each of them like reps in a workout. Study groups can be helpful if they are focused and only part of your study regime. Don't make it harder than it really is, when I was told that I would have to learn how to draw from memory a working diagram of every piping and electrical system in the plant I was sure that was impossible, when I did it for system checkouts and for my oral boards it didn't seem that hard. When it comes to tests the first thing you do is READ THE QUESTION, next READ THE QUESTION, third don't get hung up on any one question move on if you are having trouble you may find a hint to this question later or the cobwebs will clear. Next if you are prepared try not to take the test to seriously its probably not as hard as you think it is. Don't leave questions blank always take a WAG (Wild a#@ Guess) there is nuke factor there that may help. Many have gone through this before you with the same problems that you are experiencing now ( over 100,000 since the start of the program). If you are having problems in A school you will probably be put in one of the lower classes in Nuke school where they will focus more on just what you need to know as opposed to the top section that is fed as much as they can cram into the class. This part of the Rickover legacy where the "smartest try as hard to succeed", this was on a sign over the door to the Mare Island Nuclear Power School.

Good luck and thanx for your service
Marlin
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2007, 11:44 by Marlin »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:13 »
If you are having problems in A school you will probably be put in one of the lower classes in Nuke school where they will focus more on just what you need to know as opposed to the top section that is fed as much as they can cram into the class. This part of the Rickover legacy where the "smartest try as hard to succeed", this was on a sign over the door to the Mare Island Nuclear Power School.

I have to update this part, Marlin. NNPS no longer segregates into group the lowest scoring MMs into section 13 and the best into section 3. I was in the first homogenous section class (8502), and they stuck the rocket scientists next to the rocks.

Jonesy (if you haven't been called this yet, wait until you get to the fleet!),
Let me re-emphasize these points yet again:
Red Bull, Jolt, and Vivarin will make NNPS harder for you in the long run. MMOL games will take you out fast. Group study is always "group" but never "study" for more than a few focused questions.

And one last idea:
Since you know you are going to review for a final for each course, prepare your notes accordingly. After the final for each course, consolidate your notes as a review. This will be a good place to begin reviewing for your absolute final. They used to give an opportunity to take your notes to Prototype. If they still offer it, take them with you. If your prototype is different than the NNPS plant, save them until you get to the fleet.

And than you for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:13 »
Everybody is different, but here's what works for me.

Pretty much my only study aid that I've found effective is the dry erase board, but I go to town on that thing.  Writing, erasing, rewriting, writing something else, etc.  The entire quarter of my room smells like dry erase marker not after long.

For taking tests, I've only ever started from the back and worked forward.  There have been several times that the first few questions (technically the last) were something that I would look at and have no idea.  By the time I got the front of the test, which generally has the easier questions, and have effectively gone through the entire exam, I can than go back and work on what I left blank.  The big thing there is getting that pressure off my back by finishing through the test what I knew.  Than, if I'm lucky, things start to click for the other Q's.  Otherwise, I start to pray for the BOD's, and spray the page with a regurgitation of knowledge.

For me, lectures are useless, and its the notes and study/review where I learn. 

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:35 »
I have to update this part, Marlin. NNPS no longer segregates into group the lowest scoring MMs into section 13 and the best into section 3. I was in the first homogenous section class (8502), and they stuck the rocket scientists next to the rocks.

Thanx Rolltide, it seems a shame though, the lower sections were a way of keeping good people who were very smart but not on the same wave length as the academics. Some people are just more tactile and don't learn as well from books.

Marlin

shayne

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:38 »
I remember hearing about this change and the logic behind it...  The 'very' smart could help the 'less' smart...

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2007, 04:58 »

..."the essence of learning is memorization"...enrico fermi

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:52 »
Thanx Rolltide, it seems a shame though, the lower sections were a way of keeping good people who were very smart but not on the same wave length as the academics. Some people are just more tactile and don't learn as well from books.

Marlin

Major changes came along in the 90's. Instead of 1/3 dropping NNPS and 1/3 dropping Prototype (for a total average drop near 1/2), they changed some of the methods. I think the essence of the message given to the staff (according to what I heard) was, "You are a pump, not a filter!"

Those who are determined to succeed now, will succeed.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Jimi

« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:01 »
Our CO prefers the term "factory" to "pump".

These guys and gals going through the pipeline now have a completely different curriculum.  Structured notes where you only have a few blanks to fill in and power point lectures that the instructors can fly through.  The new structure was designed for a lot more Q&A with the instructors. 

I recommend you use that time wisely.  If you don't understand something get it explained to you.  Runtime is key.  Use the instructors both in the classroom and during NDI sessions.  These guys also make some very good points about your time outside the classroom.  Being efficient after you swipe out is just as important as being efficient after you swipe in.

Farley makes a good point.  A School and Power school are completely different.  I'm an ET1 working as an ETA up at S8G and I've been in for about seven years.  I don't think electrical theory really completely clicked until about a week before my EOOW board in November of last year.  Especially DC motor theory.  I struggled through A school but found power school to be a breeze except for ETRO.

You're a 4.0 student on day 1.  A School's in the past.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?