Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu many questions

Author Topic: many questions  (Read 8606 times)

priceisright

many questions
« on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:55 »
Start off by saying this may be long...
I have gone to a recruiter and many of my questions have not been answered, it seemed that he may be moving or getting out so there were not a lot of things clearly answered for me.
I am a college graduate in finance with a lot of chemistry and engineering based math courses (i liked dealing with money more at the time), and I have been out for 3 years.  I have kind of gotten bored working in banks and such and my family has been in the navy for a few generations.  I have aspirations to work as an RO somewhere upon getting out of the Navy if I were to join, so that is where I would like my career path to take me if I did decide to do this.  I understand by different readings that even though I have a degree it would not be possible/good idea to try and be an officer in the nuke program, is that correct?  I have no problem going in enlisted but would i go in as an E-1?  Also what is the amount of time you have to stay in before you have a re-enlist option to stay?  By reading on here am I correct by saying there are two choices if you make it through nuke school to choose between carrier based or sub based duties?  And lastly how long are you in school before being assigned somewhere and can you bring your wife to live on base near by during the whole process? 
If you have made it this far I thank you for taking the time and I look forward to learning a little more about the whole process. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: many searches
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:09 »
There are 2 different search windows which, when entering search parameters of your choosing, would reveal answers to ALL of your questions.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: many questions
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:16 »
I'll give you what i can from a guy who got out 12 years ago...

Being an officer isn't that bad, but I knew a couple who were very unhappy because they wern't made of the same material as other officers: they wanted to be blueshirts for the true comradery and they were not happy with most of the other officers because of the usual holier than thou attitude there (not all of them, just most of them). so you choose you poison; officers make more money and have better advancement, but it may be a lonely world depending on your personality.

you should go in as e-3 than e-4 after aschool than re-enlist at 2 year point for e-5. then you would be doing 8 years instead of 6. your choice there, 2 more years for a bonus and advancement, or stay e-4 and try  to make it with the test.

you should be able to go sub or carrier but it may depend on needs of navy.  in school almost 2 years depending on rating, 1.5 to 2 years usually. Wife will be with you after boot camp I believe (2-3 or so months after you have started the whole process) but not exactly sure.  someone who has more info will probably help you.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:45 »
When you were getting your degree did they spoon feed you your answers? Read your books for you? Do your research?

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:50 »
ha ha ha, get used to it, this is the type of stuff that will come flying at you in the Navy.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2007, 12:59 »
Dang guys lighten up, its clear from his response that he did a search first (which could take hours with the number of threads on the board). He is looking for additional personalized information which seems reasonable, especially with all of the other fluff that passes through these boards.

Of course thats just my opinion I could be wrong.  D.M.

Marlin :)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:12 »
I was going to say the same thing, but I'm not a moderator.  Kudos to you Marlin! I guess people forget sometimes that this is a forum and maybe it is ok for a question to be answered more than once, especially if he has already searched a bit.  ;)

priceisright

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:28 »
wow, a bit different responses than I expected but ok, I can play along.
As for spoon feeding me in college it was more along the lines of a fork but the chic was pretty hot so I hope that responds to your question properly there.
As for the search yes it was used but one thing that I found is that it seems the Navy may be changing a few things now and then and some answers i found did not match up.

So back to the part of "no question is a stupid question as long as it serves a purpose".  But it's like anything really, once you are on the inside, outsiders looking to get in are dumb and ignorant and should pay for their sins of asking.  :) 

For those that gave an answer I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and it is greatly appreciated, Marlin and hamasamich.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:59 »
Start off by saying this may be long...
I have gone to a recruiter and many of my questions have not been answered, it seemed that he may be moving or getting out so there were not a lot of things clearly answered for me.
I am a college graduate in finance with a lot of chemistry and engineering based math courses (i liked dealing with money more at the time), and I have been out for 3 years.  I have kind of gotten bored working in banks and such and my family has been in the navy for a few generations.  I have aspirations to work as an RO somewhere upon getting out of the Navy if I were to join, so that is where I would like my career path to take me if I did decide to do this.  I understand by different readings that even though I have a degree it would not be possible/good idea to try and be an officer in the nuke program, is that correct?  I have no problem going in enlisted but would i go in as an E-1?  Also what is the amount of time you have to stay in before you have a re-enlist option to stay?  By reading on here am I correct by saying there are two choices if you make it through nuke school to choose between carrier based or sub based duties?  And lastly how long are you in school before being assigned somewhere and can you bring your wife to live on base near by during the whole process? 
If you have made it this far I thank you for taking the time and I look forward to learning a little more about the whole process. 

Ok....

Well, it would be possible to be an officer. Whether you want to or not is entirely up to you. There are nuke officers with degrees in everything. I personally know of one with a degree in Finance and another in History. You really should talk to people on both sides though to get a better feel for what you want.

You would go in as an E-3. If you graduate A-School and haven't caused problems, you'll make E-4. At your 2 year point you have the option to reenlist with auto advancement to E-5 (like was discussed earlier) for a 2 year extension and a bonus.

You'll be in school for ~15 months if you end up as a mechanic and ~18 if you become an electrician/ET.

Once you make it through bootcamp (~8 weeks) your wife can live with you. There is a ton of base housing available in Charleston or you guys can live off base if that's more your thing.

I'm at the tail end of the training pipeline now, so if you'd like some more info, feel free to email me (goobs22xx@gmail.com) or ask on here.

Wirebiter

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2007, 05:57 »
Based upon your info, you may be too old to apply to the nuke program.  If memory serves me (which it usually doesn't) 25 is the oldest that they will take you as an enlisted nuke.  I think its 26 for officer.  One of our recruiters on the board may be able to help me out on the ages, but there is definitely a limit.

Personally, I think you would be more satisfied as an Officer.

-Rob

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2007, 08:19 »
yes, very possible!  but you'ld never get taped to a rotating shaft!  and you haven't lived until you've done that.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2007, 08:28 »
only if you light a fire under it and continuosly poke yourself in the eye, then scream about how enjoyable everything is.

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2007, 02:22 »
You should probably wait until your in the Navy and find out what your jobs is like before you even think about thinking of re-enlistment.  Heck, when I first got to my ship it was something like less then 15% of RM Mechanics re-enlisted if that gives you any idea what life is like.  I turned it down for a four year re-enlistment and 60,000 tax free.  I choose to get my soul back from the navy then sell out again, but it did get a extremely valuable education out of it and would do it over again if given the chance. 

Adam

alphacookie

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2007, 08:20 »
As a Div-O/Dept Head, I would, without question, tear up a first timer's re-enlistment paperwork if they had not done a patrol/deployment yet.  I would hand them back the torn up paperwork and tell them to come back and see me after they had done at least one patrol/deployment.  Nine times out of ten, they would come back and say something like, "Thanks sir.  There is absolutely no way I will ever re-enlist"!  Some did insist on re-enlisting before their first sea time.  They were the ones that bitched the most.

Of course the command was not happy.  I was ruining their chances at the precious Golden Anchor award. :'(

LaFeet

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2007, 12:45 »
OMG  You guys !!!!

I think this how things were when I was in the Silent Service... but that was soooo long ago.

ET - I dont know how they survive.  They know more (or should) about fracture mechanics and reactor theory.  Somewhere in their thinly shrouded ego cotainer they should also have a thread of electronic theory comprhension.

MM- The real work horses.  Used to actually repair stuff that broke.  Now they are the better log takers than the others.

EM- Should know Steam Tables, enthalpy, and wiring.  Seeming only know how to sit in front of switches and big silver steering wheels.

And finally,,,,,, the ELTs (aka SMAG {Slow Moving A$$ Grabber})  They typically complain about any and all work.  Especially if it requires them the exit the rack.

While I have served with many of these fine gentlemen, I truly have little or no knowledge concerning the today's nuclear navy.....

Chose well and do the best that you can.  Challenge yourself and hold yourself accountable.  Study, study, study and NEVER ask why its that way.  Be prepared for the "just in case" attitude.

And finally, thank you for considering joining the service.  I thank you and my family thanks you.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2007, 10:28 »
the ELTs (aka SMAG {Slow Moving A$$ Grabber}) 

hrm, thats interesting. the acronym has remained the same (SMAG) but the meaning I've always heard used was "Sometimes Mechanic, Always Gay"

I think I'll ask our ELT's what they prefer...:)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2007, 10:30 »
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, it's too bad you can't be on subs, you could probably fit in with that sense of humor.  :D

RADBASTARD

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2007, 12:07 »
Alot of guys I heard join the subs because they use powered soap subs.
Because It takes longer to pick it up!

LaFeet

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2007, 11:25 »
Alot of guys I heard join the subs because they use powered soap subs.
Because It takes longer to pick it up!

Come on Romo.... you gotta STOP being jealous.....  besides.. you are married

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?