Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Misc. Questions

Author Topic: Misc. Questions  (Read 8464 times)

Offline nukenerd89

• Very Lite User
Misc. Questions
« on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:05 »
I am 19 years old and three months away from boot camp.  I'm also newly married.  I have read a few threads about the base housing in Charleston, but does anyone know about the new privatized housing (backyard, appliances, pets, etc)?  The recruiter told my wife that we will receive pay and benefits (medical, BAH, etc) starting the day I leave for boot camp.  Is that true?  We are both active Christians; are there good churches on base?

Does anyone have any "words of wisdom" for me?

Thanks!

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
Re: Misc. Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:29 »
The "Book of Knowledge"
Call Before You Dig!

Fla Jackal

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:47 »
some words of wisdom are to work hard from start to finish and always remember what your working for whatever it may be married people usually dont have a problem with that but it can happen to any one.

as far as housing its about a 3 min drive to the site i knew a guy who rode a bike every day to school. the commissary is literaly 2 mins away at the farthest and there is a base church with several chaplans i never went but i heard it was nice.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2008, 01:42 »
Second....Contact "Cycoticpenguin" (via PM).

He just completed the program.  And, he is married.

Cycoticpenguin is going to have good intel for ya'.

SO im just some lap dog for ya? :D I gave him a good pm going over most of what you guys are going to say, and dealing with housing and other stuff. Cant say about churchs im afraid, I spent most of my time studying! (haha)

mlslstephens

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:35 »
I am 19 years old and three months away from boot camp.  I'm also newly married...  We are both active Christians; are there good churches on base?

Thanks!

Jason has posted great advice here for you.  There are many active threads on this, the greatest, nuclear forum. Cycoticpenguin is another great fresh source of info.  That being said, remember that advice always comes with a single point perspective.  Take everything given here, including my post, with an open mind. 

Smile.   Breath.  Study.  Do as you're told.  Be honest/ethical/resilientExercise/stay fit.  Eat healthy.  Get good Sleep.  Don't do what everyone else is doing.  Be respectful.  Ask questions.  Don't ever not do your required duties. 

You'll be going to school to learn 'Navy' Nuclear Power.  Do it their way.  You'll be paid to be on time and willing to learn.  You'll be paid to have good military bearing and the Highest Standards. 

I highlighted a few thoughts from Jason again to help you reread them because they are right on track.  I see every student who comes through the 626 and he is right on track.  The successful students do the things Jason has mentioned.  I was fortunate enough  :) to go through the pipeline twice, the first time in '86 (not married) and the second time in '97 (married with kids).  Even though I had an engineering degree hanging on the wall before the second time through, I found the second time through the pipeline just as challenging if not more than the first. The reason was that I was married.  Here is what I mean.  Although my wife was a tremendous asset to me, she was also a distraction in that when I was at school, I wanted to come home and be with her and the kids.  Why do I tell you this, not to discourage you, but to enlighten you and to encourage you.

As for the churches in the area.  There are several churches and I highly recommend you continuing your active participation in the local church.  The pipeline is over a year long and up to 18 months if you are an ET.  This is way too long of a time to not go to church.  I don't know much about the base chapel, but I do know the base chaplain.  Great guy!  You will be able to attend church on a regular basis up until prototype.  Even then, during the first seven weeks, you will be on day shift M-F.  Once shift work starts, getting to church gets a little more difficult, but not impossible.  I've seen many students work out their church devotion with the chain of command and it works. 
Smile.  Be resilient. 

Hope this helps and you can always PM me with specifics.  :)
Thanks for joining the greatest Navy in the world. I've never regretted a day...7,917 and counting.
X

Samabby

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:21 »
" Does anyone have any "words of wisdom" for me? "

If you and the little lady haven't already done so, please delay any family plans until you get out of the pipeline. You are about to enter a tough challenge, so hold on tight to your sweetie. It WILL be worth the work and sacrifice. Thanks for serving.  8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:43 »
We are both active Christians; are there good churches on base?

Thanks!

As an active Christian, I can tell you that there are many great churches (large and small) near the base in Charleston. Sorry to be the one to tell you that you and your wife will not be satisfied with the on-base services. The only time on-base Navy services are of high quality is overseas. Army and Air Force fare slightly better, but the off-base churches are still better than the Charleston Air Force Base.

One of the reasons you joined the Navy was to experience new areas / cultures. Go out and join in with the Charleston area crowd, and you will be very pleased.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?