Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to prepare for Navy NPS

Author Topic: How to prepare for Navy NPS  (Read 121392 times)

Fermi2

Re: How to prepare for Navy NPS
« Reply #75 on: Jul 17, 2004, 02:21 »
The Chief hit it right on the head. Work ethic is everything in the Nuke Program. A lot of very intelligent guys are challenged for the first time in their academic careers, and cannot meet the challenge simply because they never thought anything could be that tough. In addition to your academic requirements you still need to do all the stuff the military demands. Mommy and Daddy or even your Boot Company Commander are no longer around to hold your hand.

At Prototype it's a bit worse, although I do understand Charleston doesn't have the distractions from the old Prototype system, those being also having to run your own household.

The key is Prototype is a LOT of integrated knowledge, in fact those who thrive in this industry are the ones who integrate things well and are not necessarily the best test takers. You might as well throw out any academic aheivement you've had to date because it doesn't matter anymore. We had two guys with Mechanical Engineering degrees not make it through NUke School and another who didn't make it through Prototype. On the other hand our anchorman who made it through with a 2.5, a 18 year old kid with a C Average in HS got to Prototype, kicked arse and was well regarded in the fleet. (We also admired him a lot, he put in 60 to 70 hours study a week, when we were out on OBT he was studying, we did help him out quite a bit though).

One of my favorite memories of Nuke School was going to McDonalds and picking up food for those who were staying in to study. Also Chi Chis had an excellent Happy Hour on Friday afternoons. And WHO could forget the Cover Girl!!

Two months ago my family and I went to Orlando, my little girl wanted to see where Daddy lived and went to school. The Orlando maps still showed Rickover Circle and all. I followed me old route I used to walk to Fashion Square Mall and ended up getting somewhat lost because there's about a dozen new streets and a housing developement where Nuke School once stood.

Talk about feeling old :(

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #76 on: Jul 17, 2004, 06:19 »
I was in Class 8502  in section MM "F". What section were you in?

I was 8502 section MM "B". You might remember me as the "troublemaker" that gave EM1 Frangionne (MM "B" section advisor) the handle EMI Frangionne!

MMCS (later MMCM) Ralph Carter was MTMO instructor for our class, and I have run into him here in the BFN Training Department.

It looks like you are proof that if you work hard after your 6 years in the Canoe club, the sky is the limit. Glad to see a former classmate moving up in the world. Get transferred to the South so you can offer me a job!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #77 on: Jul 17, 2004, 06:45 »
Heck Man,

I was just ecstatic to find this website!!!.

EM1 Frangione was the MM F section advisor. If I recall correctly MM B was our sister section. Were you perhaps in class with a guy named Roger Smith who looked about 16 years old? The last time I saw EM1 Frangione he was EMC Frangione and he'd rode the Shark into Mare for final decom. My MTMO Instructor was ETC Pritchard. Man it's odd, NPS is so imbedded in my mind I can name every instructor we had!

Actually I'm really sick of Michigan and have been hoping to move to either Surry or North Anna. I turned down a job at St Lucie.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Jul 17, 2004, 07:00 »
Heck Man,

I was just ecstatic to find this website!!!.

EM1 Frangione was the MM F section advisor. If I recall correctly MM B was our sister section. Were you perhaps in class with a guy named Roger Smith who looked about 16 years old? The last time I saw EM1 Frangione he was EMC Frangione and he'd rode the Shark into Mare for final decom. My MTMO Instructor was ETC Pritchard. Man it's odd, NPS is so imbedded in my mind I can name every instructor we had!

Actually I'm really sick of Michigan and have been hoping to move to either Surry or North Anna. I turned down a job at St Lucie.

Mike

I thought Chief Pritchard was the ETMO instructor. I believe you are right about Roger Smith looking 16. We used to ask him if he got all his study time in before his curfew!

I don't have too many hard feelings against people I actually worked and trained with, though the guy that was probably your last detailer (I won't name him) is way overdue a blanket party!

I have been on this site for a while, and there is nothing else to compare on the NET. I would like to see a little more OPS perspective / participation. I have seen improvement in that area in the past year, so my hopes are high for the future of the site.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Ikesss

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #79 on: Jul 18, 2004, 08:07 »
You shouldn't have too much of a problem if you did that well on the ASVAB. For me, I only had 2 years of High School Math and Science. I had a hell of a time at NPS(class 7805). I was in the 2nd section, so I imagine they spoon fed us more. $ hrs volunteer study time every night. Key word "volunteer". Don't let them require it. i would bug the hell out of the instructors every night. I found that the "smart" guys did real well in the first 3 month, developed zero study habits then had it pretty tough during the next 3 months. That's where you get classes like thermodynamics, Rx Theory Electrical theory(I was an MM) metalurgy......

It was the toughest time of my life, but it was also the happiest day when I saw my score on the final(just a 3.05, but good enough for me).

The key is to apply yourself. When I got to Prototype(whatever it is now) I spent extra time getting signoff. So they thought I was smart and picked me for ELT. No matter what Mr. Brubaker says, Utilities do look for ELT's first. I've spoken to a Supervisor at Diablo Canyon(a good plant) and they were looking for ELTs. Their Hps and Rad and Chem, not many plants like that these days. I've been an HP Supervisor for 15 years and have found that for the most part, the ex navy guys were the sharpest.

Of course it only took me 5 yrs, 11 months and 29 days to figuire out that while the Navy was a good place to get educated it wasn't for me.

Good luck, and listen to everyones recommendations.

Fermi2

« Reply #80 on: Jul 19, 2004, 09:58 »
Oops,

What I should have said is Fermi doesn't give any preference to ELTs. The last few techs we've hired have been road techs only one of which had Navy experience. Same with our Chem Techs. In my opinion I'd rather have a guy with one year of commercial experience than a Navy Nuke with 10 years because the learning curve is so sharp.

By the way, you're at Diablo Canyon,, Do you know Dennis Peterson and Bruce Davis?

Mike

dep759

dep program advice
« Reply #81 on: Aug 23, 2004, 01:05 »
Recently I deped into the navy and was an aecf, however the classifier at meps suggetsed that I take another test for the nuke field. Well I passed it and switched to nuke, however I was wondering if anyone would mind giving a  little advice. First off, my recruiters are really pushing for me to go on a sub. However, I just wanted  to get the scoop on how life is on a sub. The idea of closed spaces isnt whats killing me its just that on an air craft carrier theres so much more stuff to do You know what i mean? Secondly my recruiter advised me to get someone to enlist as well so that we could go in the buddy system. (hopefully to make things easier) However the closest Ive come is getting a friend in whos become an mt. Any advice? thanks in advance

Beta_effect

Re: dep program advice
« Reply #82 on: Aug 23, 2004, 02:08 »
You might find this site of interest: http://www.submarinestore.com

Of particular interest:

http://www.submarinestore.com/books.htm

The Compete Idiot's Guide to Submarines
by Michael DiMercurio, Michael Benson
Paperback: 358 pages (February 4, 2003)
Each copy includes bookplate signed by author, Michael DiMercurio.
Domestic shipping included.
$23.95

Don't sink to reading technical manuals to learn about submarines! The Complete Idiot's Guide to Submarines will show you exactly how these boats operate - and do it a manner that's easy to understand for the lay person! Between these covers you'll:

learn the ins and outs of a submarine - from the outer hull and ballast tanks to the sensor and weapons systems;

delve into details of underwater living conditions including how oxygen is generated, how food is kept fresh, and how to combat claustrophobia;

take part in a daily drill as performed by a submarine crew;

and much more.

This is, without a doubt, the most technology comprehensive and easy to understand book on the subject of submarines and submarine-ing.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Submarines is the perfect tool to:

bring the new submarine wife or girlfriend up to speed quickly;

assist submarine sailors and veterans in explaining to family members what life in the boats is like;

help adults and children alike understand the purpose and function of our submarine fleet, and comprehend the rigors of daily life of our gallant undersea warriors

Bodega says: "I wish I had something like this when I was qualifying!"

RCLCPO

« Reply #83 on: Aug 24, 2004, 10:31 »
A couple of other sources of information:

Book: SUBMARINE, A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship
Written by Tom Clancy, it's a reasonable guide for the layman.

Game: 688i Hunter-Killer
An older game, but a great simulation of the performance of a 688i.  There is enough material in the "school of the boat" sections that, on one of my boats, junior members of the crew used it to study for their submarine qualifications!

exnuke19

« Reply #84 on: Aug 26, 2004, 12:49 »
Your recruiter is pushing for you to go Nuke and to get a buddy to join so he can meet his quota.

The other posts here are pretty good ideas for info on the subs.

scruffy

« Reply #85 on: Oct 27, 2004, 07:51 »
Well Adidas I went to nuke school under the old Rickover era. A little background I got a 58 on my NFQT and had already failed out of college and was mediocre in high school. I acually took a rather unconvential path to prepare. In a bar one night before I went off to boot I got in a hypnotis show and as a result he asked if anyone would like to have a post hypnotic suggestion some asked for stop smoking some lose weight I asked to help me study better and retain and comprehend what i took in. As a result I finished MM A school with 98% completion and top 10% in all the nuke training with a 3.78 on the final from NPS I aced 2 reactor principles tests and missed only 1 or 2 questions on many others (class 8007) . When I left I was a Chief selectee ( aced my chiefs exam in 30 min.) but wanted to go into the civilian nuke program and since then I have aced many of my tests and scored a 96 out of a 100 consistantly on my Northeast utilities exam (which is the typical theory exam to work in the commercial plants) since so I would say that the approach I took worked but mind you is unconvential. Also mind you that in nuke school I only went on +4's only 1 week and had lots of spare time to enjoy the attractions that were in Olando FL. Good luck and enjoy.
NPTU Idaho S1W
USS Tunny
Subase Pearl R-5 Shift Sup.
USS Swordfish and out

Danielson13fx

Looking for advice, for Nuke ET
« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:28 »
My name is Daniel Scutt. I enlisted March of this year (26th, I think), and am set to leave for boot camp January 12th. My story... I got a 97 on my ASVAB, if I remember correctly, and was offered the Nuke Program. At first I was like.. Eh.. Nuclear material.. cancer.. But, once my recruiter, Doug Baker, told me about the experience I could have, I opted. Between MM, EM, and ET, I decided to go for Electrictronics Technician. So... A few questions.

1. First and foremost. Advice?
2. What's the difference between an ET and an EM?
3. Further advice for a kid who's now not so sure he wants to go. I figure, I want to get out of this town and make something of myself, you know? But, if I don't like it, it's 6-8 years that I'm trapped in yet another bad experience. Egh..
4. Stories! I love listening to people's experience in the Navy. Particularly those that pertain to my job, but I'll take any!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Re: Looking for advice, for Nuke ET
« Reply #87 on: Dec 13, 2004, 05:30 »
wELCOME DANIELSON!

Jump into it with your eyes and ears open, because you will have incredible learning opportunities! EM works with larger wires, ET works with smaller wires and electronics. Both control major equipment required to support the nuclear reactor on a naval vessel. ET is considered slightly more prestigious initially, but by the time you are EWS it won't matter to future employers.

Palo verde AO

« Reply #88 on: Dec 25, 2004, 11:13 »
Daniel, I was a Nuke ET in the Navy. I got out in 1989. I presently Work at the biggest Nuclear facility in the country in Arizona, for the last 15 years. The Nuc training that you get will be the best. We like to hire ex-Navy Nukes here, see other post as to we are hiring. I too was tring to get out of a small town in "way" upstate NY. I turned 18 in bootcamp! The one thing that the Nuc Navy trains you on, is that you can do anything as long as there is a procedure. I was single and make the best of it when I was in. I did alot of traveling. I have no regrets about going into the Navy Nuke program. The Aux Operator job that I have is great and pays very well.  Good luck!!!  8)
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2004, 03:44 by Palo Verde AO »

gato-rojo

« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:18 »
Does the Navy Nuke program now admit women? I know for a short time it did and then did not allow women in the program?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #90 on: Jan 01, 2005, 02:44 »
Nobody has an answer for me?

I believe they do.  Search for posts by Jeepgirl1.  She's going into the Navy nuke program and has posted quite a few times. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

s_Phoenix

« Reply #91 on: Jan 04, 2005, 03:20 »
yes the navy lets women be nukes now.  Worst thing that they ever did was to let women on ships. 

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #92 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:29 »
There were women in my class, but none in the ones after.  Back then, they could only serve in non-combatant billets.  So they filled up all the shore duty and tender jobs to the point that all the nukes coming off their sea duty rotation had to go to non-nuke jobs when they finally did get cut loose from sea duty.  This was not only a waste of their training, but it meant that the Navy had to train still more nukes to replace them at sea because the women on shore couldn't do it.  The end result was that nobody got shore duty during his first enlistment, and an overwhelming percentage of first-termers did not re-enlist because of it. 
Since almost all the jobs being done by nuke women could be done by non-nukes, and because of the unhealthy effect they had on retention and morale, they just stopped signing them up.

At some point, they started enlisting female nukes again.  Because they can go to sea on carriers, they don't have such a negative effect on sea-shore rotation.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

s_Phoenix

« Reply #93 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:05 »
Sorry  beer court but there still missing up that to.  If a female gets pregant she gets shipped of the ship first chance they have.  We wont go to sea with a pregant  female because they cant provide medical for them in the worst case.  Therefor they go to shore billets asap (all the easy one that eveyone wants).  The guys have to wait to be allowed to proto or A / power school. 

That and it leaves us short handed since they have started combining watches on cvn they think we nead fewer personel and it only gets worse. 

And yes i'm in a bad mood about a female on my ship that does $hit and is getting a good deal.  She got herself sent to etms (very good maintains school) and  dint know $hit before and knows even less after.  And now she is has gotten herself put in charge of our maintains room and said that she's not going to allow us to play video game in there anymore. 
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2005, 06:02 by s_Phoenix »

taterhead

« Reply #94 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:49 »
Is your recruiter MM1 (SW) Doug Baker?

We served together on the Reagan.

I was wondering where he went afterwards...

jayratch

« Reply #95 on: Jan 08, 2005, 05:17 »
gato-rajo: Enough has been said about females, as far as I know the big problem is finding females who are interested, and it's hard to design accomodations for just a few.  You may meet some negative attitudes down here just because the military is still so predominantly male that we're not 100% used to you.  There are 3 females in my class, two of whom had major harassment problems in A-school, but the command has taken care of them and many policies are in place to help them; there are a lot of people who feel it's almost unfair what a "good deal" females get in this program.  Personally, I can't see why you'd want to join the Navy if you don't get the chance to go on a sub, but that's just me :)

Danielson: You have no guaranty of being an ET, so do yourself a favor and don't lock yourself in mentally.  All of the jobs have their perks: MMs get E4 quicker, and spend less time here; ETs get higher reenlistment bonuses, and do less physical work in the fleet.  Don't think if you're an ET you'll never turn a wrench, though. 

The Navy has likely already decided what you are, but there's no way you'd have been told by now.  When you find out in week 5 of boot camp, be grateful for whichever it is.  During the ET-only portion of A-school there was a lot of "Why didn't I take the blue pill" mentality, so don't think it's all roses and violets.  But it's worth it. 

So.. have fun.  And take what they give you and be happy with it, because you will only be happy here if you choose to.

taterhead

« Reply #96 on: Jan 08, 2005, 06:25 »
ETs get higher reenlistment bonuses, and do less physical work in the fleet. 

Yes and no.  I maxed out as an MM on my Zone B reenlistment (60k)and am looking forward to doing it on Zone C(100k).  The cap on the bonus really nullifies any big discrepancy.  Maybe there is a difference at Zone A.

As far as less physical work, you got that right ;)

s_Phoenix

« Reply #97 on: Jan 08, 2005, 06:43 »
Hey tater didnt doug go to big E.

The simplest diff is em work on motors and cleans salinity cells (thing that check how clean water is).

Et's work on curcuit cards and pressure dectors.

Both stand watch in places that are ac.

MM work on machines/valves  and stand watch  in 100+ degree plant
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2005, 01:54 by s_Phoenix »

taterhead

« Reply #98 on: Jan 08, 2005, 07:31 »
Hey tater didnt doug go to big E.

The simplest diff is em work on motors and cleans salinity cells (thing that check how clean water is).

Et's work on curcuit cards and pressure dectors.

Both stand watch in paces that are ac.

MM work on machines/valves  and stand watch  in 100+ degree plant

I know that he went to the big E, then came over to precom the Reagan.

From there, not sure.

s_Phoenix

« Reply #99 on: Jan 09, 2005, 01:53 »
Ya, and doug went back to Big E, to be a plant chief.  I'll ask monday at work to make sure.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?