Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Big E Decommissioning... job opportunities?  

Author Topic: Big E Decommissioning... job opportunities?  (Read 18811 times)

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
Big E Decommissioning... job opportunities?
« on: Sep 12, 2011, 03:33 »
With eight reactors, I imagine there will be a lot of rad work to be done on the USS-Enterprise. Does anyone know yet where the primary work will be done? It seems the nuclear facilities (Hanford) are mostly on the Pacific side, while the the major ship yard is on the East Coast.

I've read the start date to be sometime in FY 2013. Does anyone have a recent article?
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

chrisk500

Re: Big E Decommissioning... job opportunities?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2011, 06:29 »
It will be done at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.  They have already started the ramp up of hiring techs.  Imagine they still have a couple of more rounds of hiring to go before they start.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2011, 07:17 »
It will be done at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. 

No, sorry, that is wrong.

It will be done in Newport News.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 07:18 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2011, 07:55 »
It will be done at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.  They have already started the ramp up of hiring techs.  Imagine they still have a couple of more rounds of hiring to go before they start.
No, sorry, that is wrong.

It will be done in Newport News.

You're both right.  From the rumors I hear, the defueling will be done at Newport News, then the Big E will be towed to Puget Sound for the rest of the decommissioning.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011, 07:56 by roadhp »
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:46 »
Sad to hear, one heck of a ship. Anyone know the plans for her?

matthew.b

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:53 »
Sad to hear, one heck of a ship. Anyone know the plans for her?

Much of the upper decks will have to be torn up to get all 8 reactor compartments out.  The Navy doesn't consider it worthwhile to rebuild the ship to turn it into a museum.

Figure either scrapping or a target.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:59 »
Much of the upper decks will have to be torn up to get all 8 reactor compartments out.  The Navy doesn't consider it worthwhile to rebuild the ship to turn it into a museum.

Figure either scrapping or a target.

Most likely seems to be the removal of her island for a museum piece and she enters the ship recycling program.

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2011, 02:53 »
The decomissioning will be done in Newport News, along with de-fueling and as much dismantling as the government will pay them to do. After that it will be tugged around to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. That is where final dismantling will be performed. As for job oppurtunities, the Radcon work will be covered by the Shipyards rad techs.

Offline silverbullet02

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2011, 04:55 »
Are they going to send the RC packages over to Hanford then?
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011, 04:56 by silverbullet02 »

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:50 »

Yes. But they won't be sent to H anford for a long time. It takes about 3 years to dismantle a cruiser. Who knows how long it will take to dismantle the Big E

Offline nickelrodent

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2011, 06:28 »
Newport News Shipyard is heavy hiring. current round is 75 technicians.

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2011, 07:09 »
Newport News Shipyard is heavy hiring. current round is 75 technicians.

I worked there for a while a few years back. Would never go back myself.

drayer54

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2011, 12:05 »
I worked there for a while a few years back. Would never go back myself.
Why is that?

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:24 »
Pay mostly. If I wanted to move back to that part of the country, Norfolk Naval shipyard pays alot better. I knew people in Newport News who were making about $20 an hour after 15+ years. This was in 2003.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2011, 04:20 »
The decomissioning will be done in Newport News, along with de-fueling and as much dismantling as the government will pay them to do. After that it will be tugged around to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. That is where final dismantling will be performed. As for job oppurtunities, the Radcon work will be covered by the Shipyards rad techs.

I'll bet a steak dinner Big E gets a final dismantle same way previous CVs were done off the coast...

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:35 »
I'll bet a steak dinner Big E gets a final dismantle same way previous CVs were done off the coast...

I'll take that bet. In order to get the RC packages out, they're going to have to cut away most of the ships hull.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:56 »
I'll take that bet. In order to get the RC packages out, they're going to have to cut away most of the ships hull.

Which makes BGM-109 decom somewhere off the coast a much more attractive option than barging 9000 miles. Thanks for making my point!  ;D

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2011, 12:46 »
Which makes BGM-109 decom somewhere off the coast a much more attractive option than barging 9000 miles. Thanks for making my point!  ;D
Can't do it, have a treaty with Russia so they can see our containments from space lined up in a pit.  All of them are at Hanford with serial numbers.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2011, 02:04 »
Arguing apples and oranges. I never said anything about containments, we KNOW what that story is; the question is the post-removal hull/hulk.

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2011, 02:42 »
Arguing apples and oranges. I never said anything about containments, we KNOW what that story is; the question is the post-removal hull/hulk.

My point is that there will be no hull left when the containments are removed.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2012, 01:44 »
My bet is she will be stripped down as far as possible and still retain weather protection to the hull.  She will then sit in floating storage for years before final scraping, just like the Long Beach which was decommissioned in '95 with her final disposal not to begin until next year or later...
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:06 »

Where going to have dig a bigger hole  ::)

Offline M.S. McLean

• Very Lite User
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:44 »
For any former Big E RC divvers out there.  Think of all the cables in the Rod Control Cabinets.  Think of a Milwaukee Sawzall with a metal blade.  I can assure you that the two of them have been in intimate contact.

Offline walrusrampage

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2013, 03:41 »
Hey all, I am stationed on the Big E right now.

We are in Newport News in the water still for another year or 2, then going to drydock a couple miles away for defuel. To my knowledge, all of us are off the boat by the time she goes to Washington, and that is the distant future (2017 has been thrown around). Hope this helps.

"Think of all the cables in the Rod Control Cabinets.  Think of a Milwaukee Sawzall with a metal blade.  I can assure you that the two of them have been in intimate contact."

Right when we pulled back in from the last deployment, they handed me a Sawzall and told me we were inactivating rod control today, and I got to go to town. It was a pretty good feeling knowing they couldn't change their minds and send us back out, at least not without a crap ton of work  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2013, 03:44 by walrusrampage »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?