Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Amodei expects new push for Yucca  

Author Topic: Amodei expects new push for Yucca  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Amodei expects new push for Yucca
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2016, 06:09 »
About time Reid retired

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2016, 08:46 »
nope, Nevada had their shot, too many billions of my tax dollars flushed down the toilet for multi-decade jobs programs with nothing to show for it,....

the private venture intitiatives in New Mexico and Texas are the best current options for providing viable long term storage and stewardship of high level wastes,...

I do have the expectation that emergent technology will (and in some venues already has) deliver better options for high level radwaste than the current above ground stewardship option,...

currently, above ground stewardship is the best option,...

a federally monitored hole in the ground not so much,...

did not WIPPs have a waste containment breach not so long ago?!?!?!?

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2016, 10:55 »
nope, Nevada had their shot, too many billions of my tax dollars flushed down the toilet for multi-decade jobs programs with nothing to show for it,....

the private venture intitiatives in New Mexico and Texas are the best current options for providing viable long term storage and stewardship of high level wastes,...

I do have the expectation that emergent technology will (and in some venues already has) deliver better options for high level radwaste than the current above ground stewardship option,...

currently, above ground stewardship is the best option,...

a federally monitored hole in the ground not so much,...

Yucca and WIPP are apples and oranges from the perspective of geological makeup and management. YUCCA has the technological edge over WIPP.

did not WIPPs have a waste containment breach not so long ago?!?!?!?

Yes a salt hauling truck caught fire, something not required at YUCCA which is in volcanic rock not a salt dome.

;)

Conventional wisdom seems to favor something between the two as a better solution but to start over would be that much more expensive.

Me I would like to see more efforts into processing and vitrification, then long term burial (or maybe burial on the sun  ;) ).

[coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2016, 11:49 »
Yucca and WIPP are apples and oranges from the perspective of geological makeup and management. YUCCA has the technological edge over WIPP.

Yes a salt hauling truck caught fire, something not required at YUCCA which is in volcanic rock not a salt dome.

;)

Conventional wisdom seems to favor something between the two as a better solution but to start over would be that much more expensive.

Me I would like to see more efforts into processing and vitrification, then long term burial (or maybe burial on the sun  ;) ).

[coffee]

drum 68660 was a QA/QC failure,...

the cause was internal, not external, to the container,...

the root cause was DOE not being consistent with contractors,...

there are technologies, nobody will just pick a set of methods and run with them,...

in the meantime we continue to scatter lonely ISFISI pads across the landscape protected by LCD security,...

was okay for the short term, not okay as the short term becomes the long term,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2016, 12:24 »
drum 68660 was a QA/QC failure,...

Management failure and possible typo, something that is common to any waste management facility (or any facility for that matter). How does this affect the desicion? Perhaps it was a Safety Analysis failure as a single failure in operation produced the accident. WIPP is a HazCat 2 facility.

"Just my opinion I could be wrong." D.M.

[coffee]
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2016, 12:26 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2016, 03:22 »
Management failure and possible typo, something that is common to any waste management facility (or any facility for that matter). How does this affect the desicion? Perhaps it was a Safety Analysis failure as a single failure in operation produced the accident. WIPP is a HazCat 2 facility.

"Just my opinion I could be wrong." D.M.

[coffee]

you mught be wrong:

oversight (DOE) problem,...

QA consistency problem,...

http://www.wipp.energy.gov/wipprecovery/recovery.html

WIPP Update   June 30, 2016

New Waste Acceptance Criteria Released

...This new WAC also requires that TRU waste  generator sites and WIPP-certified programs will undergo a Generator Site  Technical Review and Quality Assurance audit. This audit will ensure that waste packaging, treatment and certification activities are performed under adequate  controls and that waste is accurately determined and documented before certification  and subsequent shipment to WIPP.

All previously  certified waste containers not currently disposed at WIPP will need to be  validated to ensure the revised requirements are met prior to shipment to WIPP.  Some wastes may need to be treated and repackaged prior to shipment to WIPP but  it will take the Department several months to determine which, if any, wastes  may be impacted

One drum in one shipment is a typo (but not so much common to any waste management facility),...
this level of comprehensive corrective action is not the result of a typo,...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2016, 04:06 »
you mught be wrong:

SloGloism is spreading, donate now to stamp out this insidious language syndrome before it's too late.

:P

But... It's too late to change me  -You may be wrong for all I know  -But you may be right
 8)

In HazCat facilities Safety Analysis models potential accidents for collocated workers, the site, and then off site for various levels of exposure to radiological and chemical hazards. You may not be able to prevent an accident but if it is identified mitigating procedures and designs can be implemented. QA and operating procedures failed it would seem that mitigating procedures and facility design may have limited the impact. When modeling accidents for fissile material it is assumed that the dry material is fully moderated, to assume that a package may be improperly packaged is not that much of a leap and may have made the accident more of an embarrassment than a disaster.

Just say'n... from my perspective.   [coffee]   and yes it could be outside of what is considered a plausible event so I mught be wrong.

Sorry I couldn't help myself with the mught thing  [devious]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2016, 05:16 »
SloGloism is spreading, donate now to stamp out this insidious language syndrome before it's too late.

are noone of us immune?!?!?!? :P ;) :) 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?