Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Re: Enlisted Bonus Went Up honeypot

Author Topic: Re: Enlisted Bonus Went Up  (Read 94047 times)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: The enlistment bonus went up?
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2008, 06:14 »
I got a 93, just hitting the "High ASVAB" but I am in the DEP program less than 6 months--so no bonus.

HOLY S#%T!!! I thought the "High ASVAB" bonus was just some NUB pulling my leg.  I guess it is serious.  Wow guess they will throw money at anything except a program that will make life better on the inside.  Is it too late to go back through the WHOLE process again, By the time I re-graduate the pipeline, I would be several thousands richer and would be at over 10 years and school has got to be a breeze nowadays.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18 »
HOLY S#%T!!! I thought the "High ASVAB" bonus was just some NUB pulling my leg.  I guess it is serious.  Wow guess they will throw money at anything except a program that will make life better on the inside.  Is it too late to go back through the WHOLE process again, By the time I re-graduate the pipeline, I would be several thousands richer and would be at over 10 years and school has got to be a breeze nowadays.

I have day dreamed a time or two about going back through the pipeline as a student.  I could only imagine what it would be like for someone licensed commercially to go through now............it would be funny to imagine BZ a lowly E4 telling off his instructors. 

MinnNukeRecruiter

« Reply #52 on: Sep 23, 2008, 03:36 »

There is no "High ASVAB Bonus" in existence. For nukes you can get the EB, then the EBCC (Enlistment Bonus for College Credit) to bump it up more.

New NAVADMIN message as of last month, Nuke EB's are now $21k-$25k.   

PreciousBlue, I agree. All the money that they are throwing around could be put towards quality of life issues, but I think the Navy would be seeing a helluva lot more separations because of the lower EBs and SRBs.

Gotta admit, $90k for zone B is awfully tempting...

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #53 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:16 »

Not really, especially if you get just the tiniest hint of what life is like on the outside. 

withroaj

« Reply #54 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:43 »
Not really, especially if you get just the tiniest hint of what life is like on the outside. 

Sure you want to be out of the military when the poo hits the fan?  I'd say the last real pension plan in the US doesn't look too bad when compared to today's market based retirement plans...  I guess it's not worth retiring from a job you can't stand.  To each his own, eh?

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Enlisted Bonus Went Up
« Reply #55 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:55 »
I was just sworn in last week--Enlistment bonus=24,000$  Then again I do have 90 something credit hours and scored a 95 on the ASVAB and something like a 266 on the nuke portion. 

Thanks for your service... ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008, 10:18 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #56 on: Sep 23, 2008, 06:55 »
Sure you want to be out of the military when the poo hits the fan?  I'd say the last real pension plan in the US doesn't look too bad when compared to today's market based retirement plans...  I guess it's not worth retiring from a job you can't stand.  To each his own, eh?

Whatever you have to tell yourself man. Market based retirement plans are for the long run, and in the long run they will always out perform the military pension. You can't use current conditions as an excuse to stay navy. Actually, any excuse that stops you from having to say "I did it for the money" is just as good as any other. Really, I would rather you just told the truth.

But you are 100% correct, to each his own.

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008, 06:55 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #57 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:02 »

No, its not.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #58 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:07 »
Whatever you have to tell yourself man. Market based retirement plans are for the long run, and in the long run they will always out perform the military pension. You can't use current conditions as an excuse to stay navy. Actually, any excuse that stops you from having to say "I did it for the money" is just as good as any other. Really, I would rather you just told the truth.

Justin

Oh I'm not committed to retirement.  I've got a carrier tour, after which I'll take a shore duty; and then I'll decide.  I've been in 5 1/2 years and I still enjoy it.  Might as well keep the job I like, right?

Maziwrath

« Reply #59 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:29 »
I leave October 1st and I am getting 19k. 16k for Nuke and 3k for College credit. And, to those of you who posted ASVAB scores--I got a 99. So, :p

Ken_Subnuc

« Reply #60 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:04 »
I leave October 1st and I am getting 19k. 16k for Nuke and 3k for College credit. And, to those of you who posted ASVAB scores--I got a 99. So, :p

that 99 ASVAB score apparently isn't helping you too much...Otherwise you would of demanded the cap enlistment bonus(which is now 24k) Screwed yourself out of 8k IMO.

Sorry for the lact of tact, but in my defense you also used very little.

And for future reference; your asvab score means about as much as, how well you did in the elementary school play. A guy in my 'A' School class got a 99 on the Asvab...think he graduated with a 2.7.

Maziwrath

« Reply #61 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:56 »
that 99 ASVAB score apparently isn't helping you too much...Otherwise you would of demanded the cap enlistment bonus(which is now 24k) Screwed yourself out of 8k IMO.

And for future reference; your asvab score means about as much as, how well you did in the elementary school play. A guy in my 'A' School class got a 99 on the Asvab...think he graduated with a 2.7.

I was simply responding to the absurdness of everyone else posting their ASVAB score, I didn't start it. That said, I don't intend to graduate with a 2.7.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #62 on: Sep 24, 2008, 12:56 »
Oh I'm not committed to retirement.  I've got a carrier tour, after which I'll take a shore duty; and then I'll decide.  I've been in 5 1/2 years and I still enjoy it.  Might as well keep the job I like, right?

And there is nothing wrong with that. I just hate when people shovel BS or fall for BS reasons to stay if they don't like it. AKA Panick reenlisting.

Justin

mlslstephens

« Reply #63 on: Sep 24, 2008, 06:00 »

Your post reminded me of Frank the Tank from Old School..."Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

But seriously, I think your approach is perfect and as long as you enjoy your job, keep doing it.  Just a word of wisdom from someone who was in your shoes a few years ago.  Don't be surprised to see yourself looking back over a 20+ year career and wondering where all the time went so fast. 

Good Luck and thanks for serving.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Sep 24, 2008, 06:37 »

Justin

Not to mention the fact that even the military has gone to a 401K style plan with TSP.  The only difference....Most private companies have matching contributions.  Navy doesn't. 

Yea back in my day (1998) we had a guy with a 99 ASVAB and 67 NFQT fail out of A school after two subjects, Math and BM.  The ASVAB is basically the Miltary version of SAT, it measures how well you should do in training, not what you will do.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #65 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:12 »
Not to mention the fact that even the military has gone to a 401K style plan with TSP.  The only difference....Most private companies have matching contributions.  Navy doesn't. 

Yea back in my day (1998) we had a guy with a 99 ASVAB and 67 NFQT fail out of A school after two subjects, Math and BM.  The ASVAB is basically the Miltary version of SAT, it measures how well you should do in training, not what you will do.

Haha there are so many things that people would think are indicators of future performance in the NNPP that just aren't true. We had a LT on my boat who couldn't pass ENG school, yet he had an engineering degree from MIT. Some people are just cut out for it, some are not. ASVAB/NFQT/Degrees are no guarantees for anything in this line of work.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:13 »

Rick James comes to mind.  :P
Slap *******!

Justin

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Sep 24, 2008, 08:25 »
I would say, once you are screened and accepted into training, the only indicator necessary to predict future success is desire.

Maziwrath

« Reply #68 on: Sep 24, 2008, 08:29 »
I would say, once you are screened and accepted into training, the only indicator necessary to predict future success is desire.

Desire I definately have.

AskewDivergent

« Reply #69 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:18 »
I have some buddies who are instructors at NPTU, and they are saying that it is flippin impossible to fail someone out who seriously should not be there. Apparently they send everyone through remedial upgrades until they finally stumble their way through a board.

As for that reenlistment bonus, personally, I know just where they can shove that.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #70 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:28 »
I have some buddies who are instructors at NPTU, and they are saying that it is flippin impossible to fail someone out who seriously should not be there. Apparently they send everyone through remedial upgrades until they finally stumble their way through a board.

As for that reenlistment bonus, personally, I know just where they can shove that.

well this fact has been discussed at length on several threads and confirmed by numerous individuals(both E and O gangers).  But your buddies are right, it is 99.999999999999999% impossible to have a student fail out as long as they give at least 0.00000000000000000001% effort.   

imthehoopa

« Reply #71 on: Oct 10, 2008, 03:03 »
Posted already in the "DEP, shipdate..." thread but here it is in this one in case someone actually goes here to find it.

The cap for Nuke enlistment is 25,000. I'm not sure about the month period where you get this, but I am shipping in April and got it. I assume it's just the few months right before high school graduations.

JnukePA11

« Reply #72 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:52 »
I'm scheduled for my physical at MEPS in 2 weeks.  I'm trying to figure out how the bonus negotiation works.  What I do know is that navy nuke enlistment is up to 25,000 at the moment.  Currently I already have a college degree and a Stafford student loan can I get money on top of the 25,000 to pay for that?  Also, from this thread it is unclear is there a "additional bonus" above the 25k mark because of a high ASVAB score? Finally are there any other "chips" I can play to up the initial bonus?  I know about selling my soul for STAR and the 65k after my first 2 years.

On a separate note: Has anyone worked with a mortgage company while in the service when you already owned a home.  This is the situation I'm in already owning a home before enlistment.

Thanks again,
Justin

JnukePA11

« Reply #73 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:05 »
Thanks for the info Honeycomb if anyone else has any information especially along the lines of owning a home before you enter the service I would appreciate some insight.  Thanks again.

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #74 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:26 »
I'm scheduled for my physical at MEPS in 2 weeks.  I'm trying to figure out how the bonus negotiation works.  What I do know is that navy nuke enlistment is up to 25,000 at the moment.  Currently I already have a college degree and a Stafford student loan can I get money on top of the 25,000 to pay for that?  Also, from this thread it is unclear is there a "additional bonus" above the 25k mark because of a high ASVAB score? Finally are there any other "chips" I can play to up the initial bonus?  I know about selling my soul for STAR and the 65k after my first 2 years.

This is probably posted after you have made your decision, but here we go.  It is always a wonder to me how some think that joining any branch of service can be treated like buying a used car.  There is no way to negotiate the bonuses.  The bonuses are set by Congress when the new budget comes out each year.  So, no you can't add any other chips.  You can opt for the Loan Repayment Program(LRP) which will pay up to $60,000 in student loans.  They can not be privatized in order to qualify.  You can't take the bonus as well as the LRP though.  Lastly, there is no extra bonus based on ASVAB score.  You can get additional bonuses for college credits received before enlistment.  So make sure that you have a copy of your official college transcripts when you go to MEPS.  Don't mean to be rude by these statements, but don't treat this as a negotiation.  You can get what you are qualified for and the classifiers are not going to try to lowball you.  They are going to show you exactly what is mandated for the program.

Chad
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 10:26 by Demps0880 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?