Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EM(SS) qualifying Reactor Operator, is it possible? honeypot

Author Topic: EM(SS) qualifying Reactor Operator, is it possible?  (Read 39611 times)

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
Re: EM(SS) qualifying Reactor Operator, is it possible?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:48 »
It's possible for a non-ET to be the watch stander at the RPCP.  The CO just secures the RO, then stations a special watch stander.  It's in the EDM.  He'd never do it; might as well go to battleshort for gravy.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:16 »
No doubt.   Your "Dad" let you "drive without a license".   By the letter of the law, you were not "qualified" unless you also carried the ET NEC. 

I did have the ET NEC.  I got out with a 3363 and 3373. You assumed something not in evidence.

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:22 »
However, I'll grant you that I have not read versions of all the Regs dating back to circa 1983.   So, does your DD-214 (i.e., the master document of all things veteran official) list you as qualifying "Reactor Operator"?  We're not talking "Shutdown RO" where yes, EMs can qualify....we're talking about "RO".  If so, than congrats...you, Dave have literally pulled a rabbit out of your hat.

I'm not the EM who qualified RO.  I'm an ET who was on-board when he did.

So, yeah... my DD-214 has me qualified RadWorker, RC Entry Watch, RT, AEA, SEO, TH, RO, EO and SRO (and maybe some more I've forgotten after 22 years).

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:28 »
Though why not just qualify EWS you will have to stand watches on all of the control panels to qualify and will supervise the ROs while they do much of their testing (I hated hot rod functionals being three section EWS and the only first class EWS on my boat I usually got them).

As I said before, he was already qualified EWS.  Chief of the Watch would probably have been more practical, but he chose RO.  He transferred to TTF right after that anyway (and came back just before I finally left in 88).

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:43 »
As I said before, he was already qualified EWS.  Chief of the Watch would probably have been more practical, but he chose RO.  He transferred to TTF right after that anyway (and came back just before I finally left in 88).

EWS was Chief of the Watch on my boat and the only difference between the EWS and EOOW card was couple of drills in maneuvering. Sorry I didn't know you were talking about a "Target". Never mind.  [coffee]
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2010, 02:49 by Marlin »

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:46 »
Man that's impressive,...

I think mine just listed my primary and one secondary NEC, I had others but the Navy limited it to two on the coversheet (DD-214). The other stuff was buried back in the service jacket.

Excuse me?!?  I only listed 2 NECs - 3363 (primary) and 3373 (secondary).

I don't really want to get into a pissing contest, but could you actually read what I write instead of substituting your own reality in there?  

As for the list of watches qualified, that is just a standard list of watches that an ET Nuke on a Trident would qualify.  There's nothing unusual or impressive about it at all.  In fact, it is kind of embarrassing (no EWS).
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2010, 02:59 by dave in St. Louis »

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:51 »
EWS was Chief of the Watch on my boat and the only difference between the EWS and EOOW card was couple of drills in manuvering. Sorry I didn't know you were talking about a "Target". Never mind.  [coffee]

Huh?

On my submarine, the Chief of the Watch manned the Ballast Control Panel under the supervision of the Diving Officer while the EWS was the roving Engineering Spaces Supervisor (who could, and did, switch off with the EOOW in the box) - not to be confused with the Engine Room Supervisor.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:01 »
Huh?

On my submarine, the Chief of the Watch manned the Ballast Control Panel under the supervision of the Diving Officer while the EWS was the roving Engineering Spaces Supervisor (who could, and did, switch off with the EOOW in the box) - not to be confused with the Engine Room Supervisor.

Sorry, I thought you meant EDPO/EWS. CoW did not make any sense in context with the thread.

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:35 »
Sorry, I thought you meant EDPO/EWS. CoW did not make any sense in context with the thread.

Nah... He was qualified EWS/EDPO.  The next logical watch on ship for him to qualify would be CoW at the BCP (which he'd never stand).  Instead, he went for an aft watch station that he wasn't allowed to stand - RO.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:53 »
Nah... He was qualified EWS/EDPO.  The next logical watch on ship for him to qualify would be CoW at the BCP (which he'd never stand).  Instead, he went for an aft watch station that he wasn't allowed to stand - RO.

I would have liked to of qualified a couple of the forward watches but we were so short handed it was not permitted. I did spend a little time in sonar (a much different beast in the 70s).

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:54 »
Sorry you think someone wants to piss in your wheaties, I've read though my post a dozen times and all I'm seeing is that I'm impressed someone took the time to list and squeeze all your junior watch stations into your DD-214.

1) I don't eat Wheaties. ;)

2) I haven't looked at my DD-214 in years.

3) Did you read the post (by Co60slr) that I was responding to?  You know, where he asks "So, does your DD-214 (i.e., the master document of all things veteran official) list you as qualifying "Reactor Operator"?  We're not talking "Shutdown RO" where yes, EMs can qualify....we're talking about "RO".  If so, than congrats...you, Dave have literally pulled a rabbit out of your hat."  Did you read that?  Because that is what I was responding to not having looked at my DD-214 in years.  He assumes that I am the person being talked about when it should be clear to even the most casual of observers that I'm talking about someone else on my boat.  The notation that I stood RO on a submarine should have clued him in that I was an ET, but did not.  So, when he posted the above quoted bit, I threw it back in his face - including a listing of everything I'd qualified on board (and I qualified all those except EO and SRO at S8G in New York prior to getting to USS Michigan).

Anyway... Merry Christmas to you as well.

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:58 »
I would have liked to of qualified a couple of the forward watches but we were so short handed it was not permitted. I did spend a little time in sonar (a much different beast in the 70s).

Manning (and qualification) levels were quite nice on Tridents just out of new construction.

Weren't you worried about turning into a "stonar girl"? ;D

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:09 »
Manning (and qualification) levels were quite nice on Tridents just out of new construction.

Weren't you worried about turning into a "stonar girl"? ;D

Nah, I just wore my grubbies from the engine room, "eau de grease" ensured that I was not mistaken for a Navette or Sonar girl.  [coffee]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:24 »
Nah, I just wore my grubbies from the engine room, "eau de grease" ensured that I was not mistaken for a Navette or Sonar girl.  [coffee]

Or in Marlin's case, the shiny Star Trek insignia  ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:52 »

That's cold Bro' COLD... (true, but still cold)

you did the Starfleet Engineering insignia right ...hmmmmmm coincidence I think not

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:54 »

That's cold Bro' COLD... (true, but still cold)

you did the Starfleet Engineering insignia right ...hmmmmmm coincidence I think not

[OT] [spank] [devious] [whistle]

co60slr

« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:48 »
I'm not the EM who qualified RO.  I'm an ET who was on-board when he did.

So, yeah... my DD-214 has me qualified RadWorker, RC Entry Watch, RT, AEA, SEO, TH, RO, EO and SRO (and maybe some more I've forgotten after 22 years).

So, when he posted the above quoted bit, I threw it back in his face - including a listing of everything I'd qualified on board (and I qualified all those except EO and SRO at S8G in New York prior to getting to USS Michigan).
My apologies...I guess I wasn't following your thread as closely as I should have.   Let's see if I can catch up.

What qualification above are you specifically "throwing back in my face"?  You're posting to an audience of active, inactive, retired, etc Nukes that may have done more than "6 and out" as you have.   Your "resume" is garden-variety, but...it represents TREMENDOUS hard work.   We've all done it (and much more), so what are you inferring?

The "facts entered into evidence" (as you say) so far are thus:

1.  Some buddy of yours stood RO when Navy Regs don't allow it.   (Yeah...my error for trying to decipher your bold/italic formatting.  We'll do a root cause analysis later).  While it makes for good fodder in the Navy Times, I think even they would be bored with that one.

2.  You qualified your senior in-rate watch (RO/SRO) and everything else expected of a junior petty officer.  By no means a trivial feat...for any of us.   However...

3.  You failed to qualify anything supervisory.

4.  You quit after 6 years.

5.  You've returned 22 years later to regale us of your feats and challenges while standing the box with an EM1 standing RO?

When someone tries to do a job in the Navy that the Navy doesn't want them to do (e.g., EM1 coveting an ET1's job), than the EM1 fails.  Nothing has changed from 1987 to 2010.   (Some of us may have been in before your MICHIGAN days).  Let's assume the OP to this tumultuous thread may return someday to see what he started....

EM1...go qualify EWS/EDPO. (You're dink).
EM1...go to prototype and qualify EOOW.  (If you're good enough to shim as an EM, you're good enough to supervise everyone).
EM1...get your college degree.  (If you're that good...prove it).
EM1...make chief, or come on out to commercial nuclear and make >$100K with no sea duty.  (You can't lose here...can you?)

It's really that simple.   This thread was dead before "Dave in St. Louis" regaled us with his "RC Entry Watch" resume.

Are we done here?  Or, is there other "evidence" as to why the U.S. Navy should maybe cross-train EM1's to do an ET1's job?

Lastly, after a 22 year hiatus from nuclear power, is this your function in life now "Dave in St. Louis"...to tell tales of a "friend of yours" that qualified RO as an EM1?  You offer that as some "prize", while I only read failure of your friend to have someone help him with the big picture in his nuclear career.

You omitted your phone talker qual.

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #42 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:10 »
You're posting to an audience of active, inactive, retired, etc Nukes that may have done more than "6 and out" as you have.

You keep assuming things not in evidence.  Have I indicated how long I was in?  It wasn't "6 and out."

Anyhow, just got back from a friend's Christmas party.  Time for bed.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #43 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:53 »
Lets see...

Co60's Stream

____
             /        \
     O    /            \
     \l/ /               \
      l /                  \
     /\                     X

dave in St. Louis's Stream
               ____
             /        \
     O    /            \
     \l/ /               \
      l /                  \
     /\                     X

Both yellow streams look even to me, I guess that means it is a draw ;)

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #44 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:58 »
It'll all be good as long as we don't cross the streams...

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #45 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:01 »
Lets see...

Co60's Stream

____
             /        \
     O    /            \
     \l/ /               \
      l /                  \
     /\                     X

dave in St. Louis's Stream
               ____
             /        \
     O    /            \
     \l/ /               \
      l /                  \
     /\                     X

Both yellow streams look even to me, I guess that means it is a draw ;)

I have been copied by HydroDave.  I feel my life has just been justified.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

co60slr

« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:12 »

I have been copied by HydroDave.  I feel my life has just been justified.
I simply think he saw "Command Urinalysis Coordinator" on his DD-214, got excited, and found an appropriate ASCII generator.

I can only conclude that it's some innate leadership quality.

:-P

co60slr

« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:42 »
What?!?!?!? They put that on DD-214's too?!?!?!
Only if your "stream" is bigger than a YN3's...apparently.

cav12345

« Reply #48 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:11 »
what can i say ET's are just better than the others.  RO is boring anyways.  Nothing changes and you might get to shim once a watch.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:38 »
what can i say ET's are just better than the others.  RO is boring anyways.  Nothing changes and you might get to shim once a watch.

yeah, those long horrible watches in air condition with nothing to do but sit and talk with people you will probably become friends with... horrible isnt it ;)

Grass is always greener, isnt it?

I simply think he saw "Command Urinalysis Coordinator" on his DD-214, got excited, and found an appropriate ASCII generator.

I can only conclude that it's some innate leadership quality.

:-P

haha well played sir, well played.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?