Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sub Vol  

Author Topic: Sub Vol  (Read 32759 times)

Sejik

Re: Sub Vol
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:43 »
I know this sounds like the type of of sob story you always hear from people who have signed up for Sub Vol, but changed their mind, but I'm going to tell it anyways.

The day before I left for basic, when I was signing all of the paperwork at the recruiters office, my recruiter managed to slip a Submarine Volunteer form in with the rest of it. I remember asking her about it, and her telling me that it was something that everyone had to sign (Somethign similar ended up happening to a shipmate out of the same region). So now I'm stuck being a sub vol, despite the fact that I've wanted to get on the GW ever since I joined the Navy and heard that it was going to Japan. Anyone have any suggestions about how I might be able to get rid of this problem?

It's not as bad as one guy I know who was in my class. He actually never signed any subvol paperwork, and is in the system, however, as a subvol. He's been trying to get that changed for a while now though. Now that I think about it... I'm not sure if he's been given orders to subs or not. I never thought to check that since prospective orders just came out.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:58 »
FWIW, I was in the most recent class to graduate (0701).

man that must be nice... (sorry, im really disgruntled!)

Navnu, on your "dream sheet", if you put all surface ships, you should NOT be picked up for subs. If you are at MARF, you are more inclined to get the ship you want it seems. Dont cry when you get the "Big E" though! ;)

Navnu

« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:21 »
Unfortunately, on my dream sheet, I was forced to fill out both Surface and Sub preferences.

McBride

« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2007, 09:01 »
at least from my point of view, I see it as a screwjob, especially for Electrician's like myself, who have to do the most amount of work...

Uh, if I were a mean old A-Ganger I'd tell you to go get qualified, call you a dink, puke non-qual FLOB (Free Loading Air Breather); tell you to stop breathing MY air, eating MY chow and filling MY sanitary tanks!  I would then watch you try to beg an A-Ganger to grape you on Hyrdraulics, HP Air, LP Air, Trim, Drain, etc. etc. etc.  But I'm not that mean, and surely there is a terms of something or another I signed to be on this board... So . .  :-X

You look really nice today...  I like your shoes, is that a spit shine?  Quite lovely!  Quite!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2007, 09:21 »
Uh, if I were a mean old A-Ganger I'd tell you to go get qualified, call you a dink, puke non-qual FLOB (Free Loading Air Breather); tell you to stop breathing MY air, eating MY chow and filling MY sanitary tanks!  I would then watch you try to beg an A-Ganger to grape you on Hyrdraulics, HP Air, LP Air, Trim, Drain, etc. etc. etc. 

ROFLMAO...K to ya'

I think I heard those words from a "mean" old A-Ganger many years ago, as well as some other choice terms of endearment.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 09:34 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Rad Sponge

« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2007, 09:59 »
ROFLMAO...K to ya'

I think I heard those words from a "mean" old A-Ganger many years ago, as well as some other choice terms of endearment.  ;)

I think that is actually the A-ganger creedo.

Don't f with A-gang, ever, ever, ever, ever, nope, not even then, just don't do it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:56 »
Unfortunately, on my dream sheet, I was forced to fill out both Surface and Sub preferences.

Ok, did you write down your reasons for not wanting to go on a sub on the hand written portion?

McBride

« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:39 »
I probably over reacted a bit.  Sorry. But BOY it was fun!

Here's the deal.  You CANNOT be forced to go subs.  If you don't want to go, let them know.  I know of at least one guy who got to the boat, and decided he just could not hack it.  There is less shame in changing your mind now than when people's lives rely on you.

Did you take sub pay?  You owe it back to them.  They may or may not dock you for it, nobody on this board can answer to that.  If they do not, you will live the rest of your life knowing you took money you did not earn, and probably had no intention of earning.  If you did not, you should be able to serve on the surface fleet.

Going against both naval tradition and Boomer Pride, let me say that surface ships are as needed as anything else in this nations arsenal.  We need bird farms on the surface of the pond as well as sewer pipes in the lower regions.  If you decide to go topside, feel proud and do your job...do MORE than your job...walk tall and serve well.  You are about to embark on a mission that few men could handle.  Simply by volunteering you have demonstrated some character, and I can respect that.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:42 »
Don't be the guy setting his notes on fire in Rx Instrumentation because he didn't like submarine life.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2007, 04:09 »
Don't be the guy setting his notes on fire in Rx Instrumentation because he didn't like submarine life.

They don't take notes anymore...
 ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Navnu

« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2007, 01:25 »
Thanks a lot McBride. That means a lot. :) And just to give everyone an update...I'm just about to finish week 13, and I'm around 82% complete overall. Looks like I may be qualifying in week 16.

Navnu

« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2007, 01:27 »
And in answer to the other comment...No, though I did write down how I had been wanting to get on the GW since I heard that it was going to Japan.

badger

« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:58 »
My sub vol document is still in my service record.. right behind the ESWS certificate :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:12 »
And in answer to the other comment...No, though I did write down how I had been wanting to get on the GW since I heard that it was going to Japan.

I know you put your "Dream sheet" together already, but try to keep an open mind. You along with 10,000 other nuke potentials are trying to get on the Gee Dubb. I didnt get what I wanted (Enterprise!? not sure how that happened!), but theres always silver linings to everything. Keep your head up, and get qualified :D

Navnu

« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:27 »
Just a quick update....I'm 100% book complete, just waiting on my final oral board. And, I got my orders. I get to be one of only two electricians from this class to go to the G.W. :) Japan here I come.

Kev3399

« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:09 »
Congrats on the GW......... :D

Seriously though.....when you get there. Keep your head up and do something positive for the Dept. I promise you there will be some morale and personnel issues on that ship after the homeport change. Be part of the solution and not the problem. Qualify quickly, do your job and listen to your Chief/Mentor. All the "negative leadership" you'll encounter will be there for a reason. I'm not saying its right, just don't be the sacrificial anode for it.

Best of luck to you.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:51 »
Just a quick update....I'm 100% book complete, just waiting on my final oral board. And, I got my orders. I get to be one of only two electricians from this class to go to the G.W. :) Japan here I come.

Congratulations and good luck on the board!

Justin

Offline wainfiggitty

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:46 »
Ahh, yes, the mighty G dub.  you'll like it there as an "Extra Mechanic"  haha.  I left this past January.  Tell RL division that "FIGGS" says hello.  I'm sure a few of them will have plenty to say about me.

ddklbl

« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:14 »
Japan here I come.

Kev3399 is right when he says don't be the sacrificial anode.  You'll just get worn out and eaten away first.  Learn to like Master Chief sandwhiches.  Learn to like them because it will help you specifically in one scenario and generally in others.  Be formal, polite, and courteous to your supervisors.  You are not their friend nor are they there to be yours.  That is just all part of being a professional.

Maybe in a year you will look back at this thread and appreciate the full gravity of these little nuggets kev3399 and I give you.  Or, in a year you will look back and curse our names for being so cryptic.  Either way, you have fun out there.  ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:15 »

congrats :D Good to see good things happen to fellow sailors  ;)

Offline gfresh3000

• Very Lite User
« Reply #45 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:49 »
I signed my contract the other day and skipped the sub vol sheet since I knew I did not want to go subs. Today my recruiter called me and told me that I have to sign it. He said it does not mean I have to do subs that everyone has to sign it. Has anyone gone nuke and never signed up for subs? The reason I dont want to go subs is because I heard I would be able to talk to my wife more if I was on a carrier.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Aug 11, 2008, 11:20 »
I think that is actually the A-ganger creedo.

Don't f with A-gang, ever, ever, ever, ever, nope, not even then, just don't do it.

The cooks, on the other hand, are a different story.
I mean, how hard can it be to figure out how much food to make.  Went to sea with x number of people on board, didn't pick up any extras along the way, they're divided into three sections, so x/3 should be then number of servings needed.
Sorry....you ran out of cookies?  Well, I'm out of electricity for your rack light!
When my off-going guys have the full meal, you'll have electricity again!
PhLAP (PHILADELPHIA Light and Power)!
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

withroaj

« Reply #47 on: Aug 11, 2008, 11:30 »
You are NOT required to volunteer to be a steely eyed killer od the deep.  The prestigeous U.S. Submarine service is a volunteer only community (though your volunteer status is set in stone; immune to a change of heart).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #48 on: Aug 11, 2008, 11:38 »
I signed my contract the other day and skipped the sub vol sheet since I knew I did not want to go subs. Today my recruiter called me and told me that I have to sign it. He said it does not mean I have to do subs that everyone has to sign it. Has anyone gone nuke and never signed up for subs? The reason I dont want to go subs is because I heard I would be able to talk to my wife more if I was on a carrier.

You can volunteer for subs at at any time in the pipeline.  You can even do it at prototype.  I never signed a volunteer for subs statement as enlisted.

I would politely ask your recruiter to show you the instruction that says that you have to volunteer for subs prior to entry into the navy...my guess is that he is strong arming you in order to meet some sort of recruiting goal.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

PapaBear765

« Reply #49 on: Aug 11, 2008, 11:42 »
First of all, submarines have a lot of advantages so dont knock em. 

Sub life sucks, go surface.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?