Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Entry level operations honeypot

Author Topic: Entry level operations  (Read 26462 times)

jjr

Entry level operations
« on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:44 »
Would an A.A.S. in Nuclear Technology help me get into Operations? I already have a B.S. in Information Systems, and have been working in Nuclear Security for 7 years.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Entry level operations
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:46 »
Calvert has taken people from security with less education. They just want you to pass the POSS

wolfxoman

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:53 »
I can say that personnaly I had no nuclear background at all I also don't have a college degree.  I started in Security, took the POSS and passed.  I've been in operations for over 6 years now and am going to move forward and try for RO/CO.  If you can pass the POSS test and study hard thru the AO training and pass the required testing it should be no problem.  Oh yea I almost forgot don't forget to get your Power Point antivirus injections prior to class to prevent Power Point poisoning  ;) ;D
That part can be a killer.

codybuehler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2008, 08:56 »
I have an A.A.S in Nuclear Engineering.  I was told that it would get me to a level just under an SRO.  Can't complain there!  Where would you get the degree from? 

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2008, 09:38 »
I have an A.A.S in Nuclear Engineering.  I was told that it would get me to a level just under an SRO.  Can't complain there!  Where would you get the degree from? 

No, it'll get you in as an AO/NLO. There is no such thing as an instant RO.

wolfxoman

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2008, 07:27 »

You might get hired as a CO/RO but you'll still have to do 1-2 years as an AO/NLO.  Some places have started doing this to fill potential position for the future.

codybuehler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2008, 08:23 »
Yeah.  I was just saying the highest possible position that we were told that we were able to achieve in our careers.  Most union plants will require future operators to get into the system with an entry level job that has nothing to do with operations.  Once in, you can bid with a little union seniority.  No one walks into a higher operations position with just a degree and no experience. The is a hierarchy that takes years before you can be a higher RO.  I'm sorry if i gave anyone the wrong impression or higher hopes than what should be expected. 

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2008, 12:16 »
The majority of the the last several NLO classes at my plant (Union) have come "off the street".  That hasn't always been the case, but it's been the trend the last few years.  Nothing wrong with hiring in at a different entry level position either, it can give you a chance to learn your way around the plant and maybe even give you a better comfort level in that area.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

codybuehler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2008, 08:07 »
That's very true.  I applied at a place that was a little ways from where i wanted to move to who were looking for a ton of operator trainees. They also wanted a whole class that was very diverse in backgrounds for these positions.  Some where degreed, some were navy backgrounds, and some had other kinds of backgrounds (i really don't remember all of the different views).   The way my local union is set up is that for every 4 people they take for a job, 3 can be from the union, and 1 is off the street.  If no one in the union bids or can pass the qualifying tests, obviously they hire all straight from the street. If you have your sights on being an operator and you are fresh out of school, what would you rather do: flip burgers for minimum wage until an ops position opens or work entry level in a plant that you have an excellent possibility of becoming an operator someday?  I think that's a no brainer.  Even in entry level positions elsewhere in the plant, you still make a decent amount of money.  I'm not knocking the fast food industry either.  Wendy's makes some delicious burgers! 

With all this confusion and rules, who would want to be in the nuclear industry?  :P

wolfxoman

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:31 »
You might get hired as a CO/RO but you'll still have to do 1-2 years as an AO/NLO.  Some places have started doing this to fill potential position for the future.

Broadzilla,  He might be talking about an STA (Shift Technical Advisor) position. All you need is a degree in an engeneering to get there then in time he might get a chance to goto SRO class as an instant.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:37 »

I recieved a call from St. Lucie a few years back after I started my ops career.  They were offering instant RO positions.  The 6 month onsite still applies.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:41 »
Trust me, there's no such thing.

Mike

JnukePA11

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2008, 04:56 »
How does one get into an NLO program go through the local union or is there some specific place to apply at the plant.  I'm in the north east a stone throw away from Three Mile Island and can easily relocate anywhere in the US as well.

Edit: I know about the POSS my recent ASVAB score was a 96 (highest scores in electronics/Adv Science/Math) which line scored me out of NFQT for the navy just another pretest to get into nuke.  Trying to decide between civilian directly or navy first.  (This is a bit of a cross post sorry).
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2008, 04:59 by JnukePA11 »

Offline vokeysand

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2008, 05:33 »
How does one get into an NLO program go through the local union or is there some specific place to apply at the plant.  I'm in the north east a stone throw away from Three Mile Island and can easily relocate anywhere in the US as well.

Edit: I know about the POSS my recent ASVAB score was a 96 (highest scores in electronics/Adv Science/Math) which line scored me out of NFQT for the navy just another pretest to get into nuke.  Trying to decide between civilian directly or navy first.  (This is a bit of a cross post sorry).

I just accepted a NLO position and am set to start in a couple of weeks. I would say that the hardest part is getting your resume in the hands of the right person(s). I was told that the company had received over 100 resumes through their website job posting and not one had been looked. They were extremely busy with interviews and other responsibilities, the people interviewed had ways to get an inside track. I personally had no one inside and still managed, so it can be done but be willing to put a lot of effort in and you never know where the help may come from. Remember to  be considerate and persistent. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2008, 12:21 »
Many of the power companies will do the entrance exams for multiple positions throughout the company all at once. You need to watch the individual company websites for the testing as well as entry level positions.
It doesn't matter if being a janitor is what it takes to get into a company. You need to suck it up and do the crappy job to get in. Some will be lucky enough to go straight into operations at various plants, but more often than not.....

One thing that all of those getting out of the military have to do is talk to their state labor and industry office and find out what you are eligible for. Some states will give Journeyman credit, while other states will allow you to test for an advanced license based on your DD214.

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:52 »
stpnoc.com looking for 12 AO's to start in Jan.

AmazinAZ

« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:10 »
I have a degree in communications and have been groomed to go to AO school practially since I stepped foot out at Palo Verde. I have no nuclear background, but just finished up a 4 week Plant Systems training class and I am slotted to take the POSS next Thursday. Needless to say I am nervous and excited all at the time since it has never crossed my mind that I might some day be an AO. And after 5 hours in the simulator today I don't think I will ever want to be a RO, (snore) LOL
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2008, 11:11 by AmazinAZ »

bigman77

« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:34 »

I'm currently enrolled in B.S. Radiological technology concentrating in Health Physics program.  I Was just wondering how would my training/education help me in possibly  becoming an Auxiliary Operator.  What additional information would I need as a student to prepare myself for whatever exam or testing that may be required to enter into Operations?  Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:54 »

I'm currently enrolled in B.S. Radiological technology concentrating in Health Physics program.  I Was just wondering how would my training/education help me in possibly  becoming an Auxiliary Operator.  What additional information would I need as a student to prepare myself for whatever exam or testing that may be required to enter into Operations?  Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

The industry standard Ops test is POSS.  Look here for info on it:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,250.0.html

As far as matching a B.S. in Health Physics with an operations career...hmmm?  Not really a great fit.  How far into the program are you?  If you aren't near graduation, it might be time to re-evaluate your interests and swap to a degree program that more closely matches them.  If you are close to graduation...stick with HP, graduate, get a job doing HP, transfer to Ops at a later date...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

bigman77

« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2010, 04:23 »
UncaBuffalo

thanks.

School has nuclear engineering curriculm but not enough interest for class. I'm also taking a few electro-mechanical engineering technology classes as well.  Theramdynamics, fluid mechanics to name a few.

Pman52

« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:15 »
  Theramdynamics
I've heard of thermodynamics but not theramdynamics.  Hmmm I wonder what that class is about... ;)

Motown homey

« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2010, 08:39 »
I've heard of thermodynamics but not theramdynamics.  Hmmm I wonder what that class is about... ;)

Hopefully, it's spelling.

One of the best OPS instructors we have has a degree in HP from the University of Lowell.  He started in HP, but the plant wanted their RPMs to be SRO Certified.  He did so well in the cert class that they talked him into sticking around for the full license.  After getting his SRO license, he moved on into training.

Best thing about this industry - given the chance you can go just about anywhere.  Stay open to the possibilities, and good luck.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2010, 06:11 »

The worm has turned...

Nuc Plant Operator in Training
Requisition Number:  SNC2000992

As a Nuclear Plant Operator in Training at Plant Hatch, you will have an opportunity to progress into Licensed Operator Training program for a Reactor Operator License.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

* High School Diploma or GED, required
    * Three (3) years commercial power plant experience, plus
    * Six (6) months experience as a non-licensed operator at Plant Hatch OR
    * Twelve (12) months at a comparable facility OR
    * Six (6) months experience as an active reactor operator at a comparable facility OR
    * Twenty-four (24) months military

Looks like sites that have gone short-staffed are going to try this social experiment...

Offline Madcat647

• Very Lite User
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2010, 07:13 »
The New ACAD allows for Direct ROs now, but it also explicitly does not allow classroom time to count as on-site time.  I would quote directly, but I don't know if that is a TOS violation to cut/paste INPO documents.

499tarheel

« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2010, 09:58 »
Only problem I can see is that I hear they pay RO's around $35/hr once licensed and $30/hr during the licensing class.

Excluding the potential out for navy time it sounds like they're trying to poach from other utilities. Kind of hard to get folks to jump ship for a pay cut. Cost of living and all considered $35/hr isn't too competitive for a chronically understaffed locale.

There are usually reasons why locations are chronically understaffed. Pay is a typical culprit. Maybe someone with insight could chime in on what the deal is at Hatch.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?