Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The "New" Nuke Program...

Author Topic: The "New" Nuke Program...  (Read 43593 times)

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
The "New" Nuke Program...
« on: Dec 01, 2008, 10:38 »
Ok, this is my first post. Warm, friendly greetings everyone.

The reason I am posting is because a young gentleman of about 20 just took his ASVAB (score of 83) and was told he could be a Navy Nuke. They told him, and I quote, "Push button E4 out of A School, E5 out of NPTU plus 25K for making it through the program, 60K re-enlistment bonus, bright future of fun, frolic and frivolity in the US Navy."

Needless to say, I helped calibrate his perceptions, but as to the financial and rank rewards, well they just seemed astronomical to me. I went into the program in 1984 and what they get now dwarfs what we got.

Does anyone know, is this fella giving me the straight dope?

proud dad

Re: The "New" Nuke Program...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2008, 02:30 »
First thing,I thank you for you prior service.
From what my son has been through and what I have read here,the advancements and bonus are as your friend stated.Sign on bonus varies as to ship date(RTC).
 I would hope that part of your "calibrate" program was to send the youngster to nukeworker.com to read the coments from people curently in the program.Whether your experience was good or bad I would guess that his navy might be a little different from your navy.
Alan

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:54 »
Re-enlistment money can be as high as $100K these days, so, if anything, those numbers you posted are low.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Samabby

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:48 »
My only challenge would be regarding " E-5 out of NTPU " . This one is not an automatic promotion unless your young friend gets a Staff Pick Up assignment and extends.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 08:50 by Samabby »

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:30 »
Here is the most recent Enlistment Bonus information I've seen.  I've quoted the Nuclear Field bonuses:
NF: Nov-Jan $18,000
NF: Feb-May $20,000
NF: Jun-Oct $16,000
Source:   http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navybonuses/a/enlbonus.htm

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:25 »
The numbers quoted are relatively accurate.  The enlistment bonus has increased a good bit just in the last three years.  It may be increased for prior college.  My son has been in three years as of 1/3/09.  He was a push button E4 out of A school.  He's a SPU ET and has been an E5 for six months.  His reenlistment bonus was considerably more than $60,000.  The "fun and frivolity", I'm not so sure about.

sullied

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:07 »
Speaking from direct experience here. E-4 out of A-school is guaranteed unless there's some sort of disciplinary action. E-5 out of NPTU is an absolute lie...it's very likely to get it soon after leaving...but it's no guarantee at all. It is, however, automatic if he STAR reenlists after his two-year point and adds on another 2 years to his already 6 year contract. There's no $25K for making it through the program. You get the enlistment bonus that's offered to you depending on what time of year, but that's all. Half is paid out after A-school...if I remember correctly. The other half is paid after NPTU (that one I'm sure of). 60K reenlistment bonus could be low...depends on what rate he's selected as. ET's get the highest bonuses...and they are over 60K easily. Of course, the bright future of fun, frolic and frivolity is left to one's own perceptions. However, I must say that 95% of the people don't see that from day to day.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:14 »
Well, the calibration I gave him was more about the Navy, not the Nuke part. I'd gotten to know him a little..ie..he has no use for the "dress code" here at work, is late almost every day, etc. I told him that "hurry up and wait" is a way of life in the Navy, that most times you will wait in line an hour for chow after marching, in the rain, and no one will care if you are soaked, they don't care if you'd rather not do GQ because you had a late night playing cards, etc. You know, that kind of thing.

We have since had to let him go because of his habits, which seemed mainly that he used this job as a way to further "express himself". I'm sure his recruiter has told him all kinds of stuff, I just don't think that m.o. is going to fly in the military. But maybe the Navy, from boot camp on out to discharge, has changed in 20 years? Maybe now it's changed so that his Company Commander can demand one thing but since he feels like doing another, that's ok. He's a really nice kid, friendly, etc. It's just that, no matter what you tell him, he knows better...even if he's never done it before.

Wow, the money is amazing now. I remember I got 2k for getting through NPTU and the re-enlistment was 30K for two years. The only thing I'd change about it now is that I'd never, ever go on a carrier if I had the choice. Did we have a choice? I can't remember...
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008, 01:21 by dagiffy »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2008, 02:16 »
Well, the calibration I gave him was more about the Navy, not the Nuke part. I'd gotten to know him a little..ie..he has no use for the "dress code" here at work, is late almost every day, etc. I told him that "hurry up and wait" is a way of life in the Navy, that most times you will wait in line an hour for chow after marching, in the rain, and no one will care if you are soaked, they don't care if you'd rather not do GQ because you had a late night playing cards, etc. You know, that kind of thing.

We have since had to let him go because of his habits, which seemed mainly that he used this job as a way to further "express himself". I'm sure his recruiter has told him all kinds of stuff, I just don't think that m.o. is going to fly in the military. But maybe the Navy, from boot camp on out to discharge, has changed in 20 years? Maybe now it's changed so that his Company Commander can demand one thing but since he feels like doing another, that's ok. He's a really nice kid, friendly, etc. It's just that, no matter what you tell him, he knows better...even if he's never done it before.

Wow, the money is amazing now. I remember I got 2k for getting through NPTU and the re-enlistment was 30K for two years. The only thing I'd change about it now is that I'd never, ever go on a carrier if I had the choice. Did we have a choice? I can't remember...

Maybe it would be good for him. That kinda reminds me of how I was 10 years ago before I joined. I got sold a lot of "stuff" from the recruiter and enlisted, the adjustments was very tough but I think I am a better person for it. For example I just looked the other day I looked at my transcripts I graduated HS with a 2.53 GPA I wasn't dumb I just didn't apply myself typical D and F on homework and A and B on the test. My current college GPA is a 3.37. The military can change people for the better but it's not gentle. 

sullied

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:32 »
Maybe it would be good for him. That kinda reminds me of how I was 10 years ago before I joined. I got sold a lot of "stuff" from the recruiter and enlisted, the adjustments was very tough but I think I am a better person for it. For example I just looked the other day I looked at my transcripts I graduated HS with a 2.53 GPA I wasn't dumb I just didn't apply myself typical D and F on homework and A and B on the test. My current college GPA is a 3.37. The military can change people for the better but it's not gentle. 

Was it the military that changed you or was it just you becoming more mature? Most people lose their bad habits when they get past their early 20s. I know this is really off-topic for the post, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Daggify: You should've had a choice of carrier, sub, or cruiser...they were all around when you were in. But you're right on the other things...that sort of attitude doesnt work with the military. But, like 93-383 said, maybe boot camp will change him.

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:32 »
I do believe the initial Nuke contract is 8 years, not 6.  (the last 2 years are inactive reserves.  If you were in DEP prior to AD then subtract 1 month for every month of DEP). :)   Kathy VPNM

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:49 »
Daggify: You should've had a choice of carrier, sub, or cruiser.

Wrong....the only choice there was or is currently available is whether to volunteer for subs or not.  You couldn't choose CVN or CGN.

If you didn't volunteer subs (and in some cases even if you did volunteer subs), you got assigned to a surface nuclear ship in accordance with the "needs of the navy."
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008, 08:49 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Samabby

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2008, 09:16 »
That " dress code issue " still might present a challenge or two.  ;D

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:51 »
Wow, an eight year commitment. I don't think it was like that when I went in, it was only six and you were OUT afterward if you discharged. Well, hopefully my ex-coworker goes into the program, loves it and lives happily ever after.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2008, 11:07 »
It still is 6 and out.  However, you are still in the inactive reserves for an additional 2 years.  This is  the same as it was when I entered active service in 1990.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:17 »
maybe it was that way in 1984, too. I can't remember ever hearing or thinking about it, though.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2008, 02:06 »
maybe it was that way in 1984, too. I can't remember ever hearing or thinking about it, though.

You wouldn't unless things got so bad that they needed the inactive reserve. At that point, we are pretty much screwed. :)

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2008, 02:51 »

I am seriously supprised we haven't heard from HydroDave on this one.......

300 Quatloos against the newcomer.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

PapaBear765

« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2008, 03:00 »
Was it the military that changed you or was it just you becoming more mature? Most people lose their bad habits when they get past their early 20s. I know this is really off-topic for the post, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I've asked myself that many times: do I attribute who I am now to growing up in general, or due to my time in the navy/nuke navy?  I'll take the cop-out and say it's both.  You either grow up or you don't (see pro athletes), but the nature of your adulthood depends on how you grew up.  The nuclear navy atmosphere, being on a sub, etc. can't help but produce an adult who's more pragmatic than the average person.  I have to check myself sometimes when dealing with the "normies" out there like an auto mechanic who shears the bolt off of my truck's valve cover.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:47 »
300 Quatloos against the newcomer.

Good luck finding someone to take the bet!

However...plenty of those that get bumped from the program, still have fun at sea and wise up later, so there is always hope!

grimmreaper42

« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:19 »
The first reenlistment went goes up to 90k now and ET multipliers are pretty ridiculous. If you want you can fiddle with the SRB Calculator https://staynavytools.bol.navy.mil/SRB/Default.aspx . The 90k is for the STAR. You should use one of the NUC 3363 NEC's or one of the other numbers....don't remember what's surface and what's subs, put in a rough estimate of 2 years till someone does a STAR and reenlistment term is 6.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:04 »
Still not worth it.

Justin

mlslstephens

« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:16 »
Been there; done that.  I got several T-shirts.  :P  Some have battery acid, others have carbon dust.  However, my last few t-shirts are still in pristine condition.  Now all I have to show for my time is two DD-214s, a shadow box, and a sword over the mantle.

Oh yeah, and a monthly check for doing nothing.  ;) [If you turn your computer speakers up real loud, you just might hear the Navy Hymn playing in the background] :P

Just kidding Justin, I'm not that much of a diggit.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2009, 12:30 »
Been there; done that.  I got several T-shirts.  :P  Some have battery acid, others have carbon dust.  However, my last few t-shirts are still in pristine condition.  Now all I have to show for my time is two DD-214s, a shadow box, and a sword over the mantle.

Oh yeah, and a monthly check for doing nothing.  ;) [If you turn your computer speakers up real loud, you just might hear the Navy Hymn playing in the background] :P

Just kidding Justin, I'm not that much of a diggit.

Still not worth it.  ;D

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:55 »
Still not worth it.  ;D

Justin

Didn't your reenlistment allow you to qualify T-EOOW and wind up instant SRO in a big kids' plant?  You might not have pulled off SRO with just six-and-out.  Still not worth it?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?