Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Took the ASVAB

Author Topic: Took the ASVAB  (Read 24526 times)

psmarz

Took the ASVAB
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:58 »
So I took the ASVAB last week...and scored a 95 on my AFQT.  Still waiting to see what all I made in each area but I am stoked.

Next step is potentially NAPT...and from there... waivers...

I am still trying to figure out what to do for backup if I am unable to get into the Nuke Program.

I have law enforcement training and was potentially considering going for Master at Arms.  At the same time I would not mind still going for non-nuke EM, ET, MM.  What other rates have good potential for careers outside?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Took the ASVAB
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:50 »
IT--Information Technology.....the computer network guys

AT--Air Traffic Controllers
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2009, 07:52 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

psmarz

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:52 »
Thank you...I will check in on it.

psmarz

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:05 »
I am stoked.  I DEPed in Yesterday and finally got to see my line scores and did not score below a 60 in any section except AO. 

Right now I am signed for AECF with a Ship in December.  I talked to the Nuke Recruiter and even though I scored greater than the 252 I am going to have to take the Nuke Test to help with my waivers for grades.  All I can do is cover my end of things and do the best I can on the NAPT and see how it plays out from there.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:51 »
Good luck keep us posted!

Justin

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:07 »
I don't know if they still do it this way, but in 84 when I went in, the company commanders went by asvab scores to determine who got the responsibilities in the company. Since I got a 93, I was 1st platoon leader, which basically meant while in boot camp I didn't have to stand any watches. If you got a 95 you might end up arpoc or rpoc, if they still do it that way. Another added bonus is that you'll get a taste really fast what authority is like in the military, the us and them factor, and you'll know what it's like when most of the rest of the company hates you because you assign watches and tell them what to do in certain cases because you have to. Great fun! Good thing it's 8 weeks of your life that you never have to live again.

NuclearNate

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:41 »
Don't go non-Nuke MM unless you enjoy diving  ::)

I asked an MM what he thought of it when I had the same question, he told me diving the bilge isn't something you want to sign up for.

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:33 »
Don't go non-Nuke MM unless you enjoy diving  ::)

I asked an MM what he thought of it when I had the same question, he told me diving the bilge isn't something you want to sign up for.

That's right.  We Nukes send the non-nukes into our bilges  :P...  I hate to say this, but Nuke MM's do more than their fair share of bilge diving as well.

psmarz

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2009, 01:12 »
I started PT last Sunday and I have been sore since.  It has been a while since I have really ran and did other exercises and those full court basket ball games after the first DEP meet made me feel old because by the time I got home I could barely walk.

Been rotating so when my lower body is killing me one day I am working upper and vise versa.  I am just glad I have plenty of time to get in better shape.

Other than PT I have been studying basic physics for the upcoming NAPT.  I have never really had advanced math courses nor any physics in High School. Would it help me for upcoming A-School in AECF or potentially Nuke to study some more advanced math classes before I ship to basic?

Had a slight bump as my 2yr old thought it would be funny to destroy my power supply but thankfully the local library had some good physics books.

Thanks for the input on MM.

psmarz

« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:58 »
Well I took the Nuke Test and found out I passed.  Did not learn what I scored just that I passed and now I guess it is just a waiting game to see if my academic waivers and my age waiver get approved.

mellor_21

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2009, 07:37 »
heard anything yet??   :D when do you ship?

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2009, 11:54 »
That's right.  We Nukes send the non-nukes into our bilges  :P...  I hate to say this, but Nuke MM's do more than their fair share of bilge diving as well.
I was on a certain ship that will go unnamed, so I'll use its hull number: CGN-37. The MPA tried to get the restricted and extra duty men to clean our bilges in port. The Chaplain intervened, said it was cruel and inhumane punishment.

The morale of M-Div? Let's say the rest is history...
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009, 12:14 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

psmarz

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2009, 07:30 »
heard anything yet??   :D when do you ship?

Not yet...I did pass the test but there has been a foul up with some of the paper work.  The reference sheets got lost in paper work or fax land and I am having to redo them.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:33 »
Not yet...I did pass the test but there has been a foul up with some of the paper work.  The reference sheets got lost in paper work or fax land and I am having to redo them.

Welcome to the military.  8)

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:29 »
Other than PT I have been studying basic physics for the upcoming NAPT.  I have never really had advanced math courses nor any physics in High School. Would it help me for upcoming A-School in AECF or potentially Nuke to study some more advanced math classes before I ship to basic?

Had a slight bump as my 2yr old thought it would be funny to destroy my power supply but thankfully the local library had some good physics books.

Thanks for the input on MM.

I never took Physics in high school, and Algebra II and Geometry were my most advanced math classes.  I took the NAPT with no foreknowledge of the subjects.  The people at MEPS just said, "You need to take this."   You can learn the subject matter, but I believe it is inherent in the thinking of some people. 

As far as MM...if you don't become an MM, you have no chance of ever becoming the Master-Rate of ELT!   ;D :P

All Nuke rates have the luxury of bilge diving as a chance in their future.  If you go subs, it is a certainty that you'll be in a bilge at some point.  It all comes down to what the military needs and your aptitude.  I think the only tie breaker is if you're close in a few areas for aptitude and the Navy's needs...so then they consider what you'd like. 

Best of luck to you!  Whichever rate you become, your future will have many doors open up to you.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 10:24 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

psmarz

« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:30 »
All Nuke rates have the luxury of bilge diving as a chance in their future.  If you go subs, it is a certainty that you'll be in a bilge at some point.  It all comes down to what the military needs and your aptitude.  I think the only tie breaker is if you're close in a few areas for aptitude and the Navy's needs...so then they consider what you'd like.

I do not mind in the least.  For the tie breaker I think I am kinda SOL because I scored about the same for all of them, minus AO which I filled in randomly and got a 47.  I guess it will all come down to what is short-manned.

I still have yet to redo those reference sheets.  Been so busy working but tomorrow I should be able to make progress with that. 

Loving the job I am doing as it is getting me in great physical shape for basic.  Walk no less than 8 miles a day and constantly doing all sorts of work from heavy lifting to the fun tedious stuff.  Good blend of physical and mental training all for minimum wage.  =)

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2009, 09:31 by psmarz »

psmarz

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2009, 06:56 »
Awesome.  They found it.

bakedbeans

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2009, 04:48 »
I just went up to meps on April 20th and 21st of this week in Buffalo, New York. I scored a 99 on my test and had a great time at meps except for that fact that I could not sign up for nuke while I was there. I had my college transcript for my two years of college, but I didn't have my high school transcript because my high school doesn't allow you to pick up your transcript in person. They only mail the official one out. So because it is spring break week and my 2 dollar check hasn't gotten to them in the mail yet, I'm sol. I enlisted into the dep program as a submarine non nuke et, which I almost feel comfortable about doing although I probably shouldn't. My recruiter and the job counselor assured me that once my high school transcript came in next week, I would be able to change my job. I'm hoping everything works out okay. I'm nervous and excited. I also had to fill out an academic waiver for failing calculus my senior year, even though I've passed calc 1,2, and 3 in college. Does anyone have any advice?

On the lighter side of things they had a good sense of humor at meps, laughing at my lame joke asking to opt for the catheter for the urinalysis. What I thought was going to be pain and suffering from some of the horror stories I've read turned out to be an almost delightful experience. Thank you for any replies.

Offline xrex1x

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2009, 02:09 »
Bakedbeans,

I went to MEPS in January, and had a very similar experience.  I also did not have my high school transcript, and as such could not enlist in the nuclear field, so I enlisted in SECF.  Once the transcripts came through, I re-classified to a nuclear rating with a shipping date three months earlier than the one I originally had.  As long as you had a decent GPA (HS and college), and don't have a criminal record or too many traffic tickets, I wouldn't be very concerned.

Hopefully I'll see you in Charleston.

bakedbeans

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2009, 03:01 »
I should know what fate will become of me by next week. Good job yourself. At meps they said I would probably have to wait until December 2009 or January 2010 to go to basic  :(  unfortunately. Perhaps destiny will allow our paths to cross....
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2009, 03:04 by bakedbeans »

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2009, 10:52 »
... I also did not have my high school transcript, and as such could not enlist in the nuclear field, so I enlisted in SECF.  Once the transcripts came through, I re-classified to a nuclear rating ...

This is interesting.  Not to mention rather surprising - I would have bet against this ever happening.  Thanks for the info/upgrade.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2009, 05:57 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

mellor_21

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2009, 02:21 »
Bakedbeans,

I re-classified to a nuclear rating with a shipping date three months earlier than the one I originally had.

thats what i had to do too, i didn't have my ss card so they made me an am for a week lol

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 12:46 »
I took the ASVAB in January, scored a 96 AFQT/260 NUC, and my academic waiver still got declined because high school grades, despite a 3.75 college GPA with 39 units. I was told to take the NAPT and get a good grade in a college math course higher than what I've already taken and they will reconsider. So now I have a 74 NAPT and 48 college units with an A in precalculus. I resubmitted my transcripts and am waiting for a response regarding the waiver.

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21 »
Wow. It seems that waiting a couple of days for a waiver has turned into waiting a couple of weeks for a waiver. Words cannot express how disappointed I will be if I do not get accepted into this program after getting an A in a $2000 class that was taken because I was told a good grade in a math class will get me into this program. Seriously, 96 ASVAB, 260 NUC, 74 NAPT, an A in precalculus, nearly straight A's with 43 college units; what else could they possibly need as proof that I can handle this program?

Okay, I'm done complaining for now.

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 05:45 »
Whining NUB.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?