Career Path > Money Matters

Employee Free Choice Act

<< < (2/3) > >>

Already Gone:
Yes, but thinking about it is only productive if we open our minds to the realities involved.

There is NOTHING in your description of the process which does not or cannot occur under the current law.  The EFCA is not going to create the circumstances which you describe - because they already exist.

Do you really think that only the unions harass, intimidate, coerce or threaten employees?  Maybe you haven't gone to work lately, but there is an implied threat of termination, disciplinary action, reassignment, loss of pay and benefits, and a holy host of other un-pleasantries in every hour that you work for an employer.  If they think you are pro-union, or for any other reason - including no reason at all - they can destroy you without the need to "wink-wink" at you first.

Now, go back and READ what I wrote.  A union cannot avoid the vote - no matter how big the majority have signed cards - if the employees opt for a vote.  If the employees feel that they were intimidated into signing the cards, they can always withdraw them, or petition for a secret ballot.  Under current law, they do not have the right to petition for a secret ballot under any circumstances.  That option is currently only available to the employer.

rlbinc:
I understand and respect your position.
I remain a firm believer in strictly private ballots for the reasons described.
Enough said.
Best Wishes to you.

Already Gone:
Yeah, the secret ballot does have a place in my patriotic heart as well.  Given the hypothetical situation that I were an employee who had signed a card, I would still also sign the petition for a secret ballot.  But, I would want it to be my choice and that of my coworkers, and NOT a stall tactic that our employer could use to bring in the "Pinkertons".

rlbinc:
What happened to Honey Comb's entry?
Hope he wasn't a beneficiary of the Employee Free Speech Act.  :)

rlbinc:
You never know who is reading, huh?
You don't feel comfortable letting them know what you THINK, how can you let them know how you voted?
It's minority rule, the way they prefer it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version