Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tattoos

Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 21426 times)

Offline xrex1x

• Very Lite User
Tattoos
« on: Jun 12, 2009, 06:03 »
Hello everyone.  I have perhaps a bit of a unique question.  I'm fully aware of the Navy's tattoo policy, but I'm curious how visible tattoos are currently impacting employability in the commercial nuke industry.  Currently, I have two that extend below a short-sleeve shirt...however, I have plans to get more.  I guess my question is will that have a negative impact on my ability to transfer to the commercial world?  All of my current tattoos are tasteful, as the future ones will be.  I just don't want to disqualify myself before I even get a shot at it, you know what I mean?

Thanks for the input,

Rex.

thenuttyneutron

Re: Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2009, 06:23 »
I think you would be ok once you got the job in the commercial world.  The only issue I see would be the job interview.  If the person doing the interview does not like tattoos, you might have a problem.

I noticed years ago when I was going for a NLO job, only the people dressed in a suit and tie while I was there got job offers after passing the POSS test.

Tylus

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2009, 08:50 »
Wear button up shorts and long sleeves with ties

Anybody pursueing job interviews should be wearing that attire anyways.  After you have been hired, relax your attire slightly.

I understand it ain't fun to wear them, but it's just one of those things.  Show yourself to be a valuable employee, and the tattoo's won't mean a thing.

But I share your concerns.  That is why my tattoos are hidden above my sleeve edge.  I've got several "questionable" tat's already.  Shame, but I'll wait until I'm firmly ensconced in Civlant before I get anything more drastic

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2009, 03:23 »
This is one of those murky areas that are best not left to chance.
First impressions are very important but often totally wrong.
Not knowing the prejudices of others makes it impossible to determine the effects that our first impressions will have.  So, it is always wise to make your appearance and personality as neutral and pleasant as possible.
Although tattoos are far more common today, especially for women, they still tell something about us that may or may not be the thing we want others to focus on at any given moment.  Keep them covered during interviews until the boss rolls up his sleeve and shows you his ink.
I don't have any (yet) but people STILL, after 24 years notice that I wear two or three ear rings.  Often, they remark that they are a contradiction to my personality.  Of course, that means that they know at least something about me other than the three holes in my left ear and what I have in them.  By that time, it doesn't matter to them.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2009, 03:57 »
I think Tylus is right on. I am somewhat anti tattoo, If 2 people were close I think I would pick the person without the tattoo subconsciously.  If I did not see the tattoo I think I would make a fairer decision.  Hey I am being honest and helping a brother out.  I know some may not like it.  But I think there would be people like me and probably even worse and would assume someone was trash with a tattoo and be totally turned off.  I hope I would at least give someone a chance and if they were superior to others I would offer them the job, Tattoo or no tattoo.  I think if someone was NRRPT and had a tasteful tattoo and the others had no Tattoo and no NRRPT I think I would pick the NRRPT all other things being about Equal.  But hey I am NRRPT and that makes more difference than a Tattoo to me.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2009, 03:59 by thenukeman »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2009, 04:01 »
I think Tylus is right on. I am somewhat anti tattoo, If 2 people were close I think I would pick the person without the tattoo subconsciously.  If I did not see the tattoo I think I would make a fairer decision.  Hey I am being honest and helping a brother out.  I know some may not like it.  But I think there would be people like me and probably even worse and would assume someone was trash with a tattoo and be totally turned off.  I hope I would at least give someone a chance and if they were superior to others I would offer them the job, Tattoo or no tattoo.  I think if someone was NRRPT and had a tasteful tattoo and the others had no Tattoo and no NRRPT I think I would pick the NRRPT all other things being about Equal.  But hey I am NRRPT and that makes more difference than a Tattoo to me.

So maybe a large NRRPT tattoo would make a difference? ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2009, 04:02 by HydroDave63 »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2009, 04:08 »
NRRPT Tattoo would be Acceptable. I would add points for that as long as he had passed!!!  Maybe he could get one of those 2 day Tattoos if he interviews at the Harris Plant!!! They really like NRRPT's there!!!!!

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2009, 04:20 »
My opinion is it makes no difference. Discriminating based on tats is no different than discriminating based on sex, color, religion or sexual orientation. When I was an RO and SRO at Fermi I have a huge skull and crossbones ear ring and wore my hair in a long braid. I know some didn't like either and my take on it was then you either try to cut it or take it off me.
Eventually the ear ring started bugging my ear. Fermi also had Dave S, one of the very best radcon people I ever knew and he was literally covered with ink.
I'm not saying people in interviews won't discriminate based on their personal preference but I'm thinking it's less and less likely. Knowing the guys who interviewed for Ops positions at Fermi I'm 100% positive they didn't care. They hired me and they knew I was a wild man from my initial interview, then again the guy who hired me wasn't exactly tame! (miss ya Kevin!)

Mikey

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2009, 06:01 »
As someone who is moderately tattooed, the above advice regarding dressing for interviews is spot on. But that's the same advice given for anyone.

There are plenty of tattooed folks in the industry. Most I have found to be above average. Maybe to compensate for the perceived judgment of others. Maybe because they are already strong individuals, and tattoos are a symptom.

Once you are in, then you can "let your hair down" Until then - act like Ward Cleaver not Eddie Haskell. (same advice goes for the MMPI - "How would Ward answer this"

;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:51 »
Employment discrimination based on race, gender, etc. is unlawful.  Tatscrimination is OK.  No state or federal employment discrim. laws protect the inked, pierced, dyed, shaved, or otherwise stoopid. 

At our plant every Security Officer under 35 yrs is buffed and inked up.  They make peanuts.  The money-makers in leadership and in the control room ..... no art.  Brains, work ethic, industriuousness.  well, most of the Operators ARE socially defective.  But no tats.  Lots of harleys, guns, trucks.

Tat removal should be a lucrative biz in future years as this generation realizes how poorly they've fared as bald, rock strewn cartoon canvases.

Disclaimer:  Navel jewelry on young babes rocks.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:17 »
I discriminate against Tats that are Nazi Flags, 666, Cuss words,  Face tats that make you look like a lizard or cat, Sam I am I do not like that tat, and other tats that do not make me happy.  Marine Emblems, Navy, Army, even girl friends and Mom I will tolerate.. Any piercing besides earrings,  and especially a bone in your nose,  A split tongue,  Funky Contacts will basically show me this person is all about themselves and not about the team and I will write them off.  I will say good riddance what a idiot.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:25 »
Face tats that make you look like a lizard or cat, Sam I am I do not like that tat...  I will say good riddance what a idiot.

I told him he did not look right, no food for you! 
   :P

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2009, 12:45 »
I discriminate against Tats that are Nazi Flags, 666, Cuss words,  Face tats that make you look like a lizard or cat, Sam I am I do not like that tat, and other tats that do not make me happy.  Marine Emblems, Navy, Army, even girl friends and Mom I will tolerate.. Any piercing besides earrings,  and especially a bone in your nose,  A split tongue,  Funky Contacts will basically show me this person is all about themselves and not about the team and I will write them off.  I will say good riddance what a idiot.

This is exactly why it is good to cover them.  While swastikas and demonic emblems  are almost universally repugnant, there are others that might seem harmless to you and disgusting to me.  But just about any display - tattoo or otherwise - that is garish, poorly done, or in questionable taste is going to call into question your judgement.  Even an American flag can make you look stupid if you have it in a silly place.

The only reason I don't have one yet is that I can't decide on one that I will want to keep forever.  Like any fad or fashion, tattoos will become dated.  I won't, at 47 years of age, buy clothes that are chosen by someone who is only 18.  I don't drive the same kind of car, drink the same cocktails, listen to the same music, or have my hair styled the same as I did when I was young.  I'm not even married to the same wife.  So, why would I want the same body art?  The good thing about fads is that they go out of style when we tire of them and we can put them behind us.  Not so true about a tattoo.

As far as ink on women goes, I think they are a waste of time.  I've never seen a pretty woman with ink who would not be just as pretty without it.  And, I've never seen one on any  woman that made her more attractive.  I just wish my daughter would have considered that before she got one on the back of her neck that was poorly done.  I guess I think that a woman should only get a tattoo if it is as pretty as she is.  That is either very difficult to do, or very difficult to accept.  No, in the case of tattoos on women, the best they can do is break even.

In the end, body art and piercings are things we do to please ourselves.  That can be a very good thing, but in the case of a job interview it is never wise to let the focus be distracted from our capabilities and redirected toward bold outward expression of our individual personalities.
Clothing, hairstyles, jewelry, makeup, eyeglasses, fragrances, and even speech and mannerisms should be unremarkable.  It is a quality known as elegant understatement.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2009, 01:44 »
Honesty, I think it depends on the site you are looking at. I have worked all 3 TVA sites, and the views are different at each one. At Sequoyah, they are tolerant, and really don't make a huge deal over tatts unless they are offensive, then they ask that they be covered. When I was at Watts Bar, I was told that if I could not keep my tattoo from showing, I needed to go home and change into something that would cover it. At BFN, there is a person here with sleeves. No one says anything about tattoos at all. Well, except the one girl who was offended when someone was talking about lower back tattoos, and another fellow piped up and so "Oh, aren't they called tramp stamps?"

As for the interview, I agree with the others, long sleeve, button down shirt. Make sure you either have a t-shirt under it, or it is dark enough that the tattoo won't show through.

Good luck to you!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2009, 09:10 »
As far as ink on women goes, I think they are a waste of time.  I've never seen a pretty woman with ink who would not be just as pretty without it.  And, I've never seen one on any  woman that made her more attractive.  I just wish my daughter would have considered that before she got one on the back of her neck that was poorly done.  I guess I think that a woman should only get a tattoo if it is as pretty as she is.  That is either very difficult to do, or very difficult to accept.  No, in the case of tattoos on women, the best they can do is break even.

I tend to agree about the tattoos on women (Tats on Tarts? Sorry, not my real opinion just couldn't resist.) BUT... I did see one on an absolutely gorgeous woman who was convinced to enter a bikini contest at a resort on Islamorada and won it (the contest, not the tat.) She had a bird of paradise, very well done, coming up out of the top of her bikini bottom... in front. In her own words... "Where else would a Bird of Paradise live?"

I will end the story before it qualifies for the Bathroom Wall.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

diparyar

« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2009, 08:08 »
hmmmmmmmm,  keepamerica beautiful get a tattoo.

currently i have one tattoo, because it aint finished yet, sleeves, full back peace, thigh, and lower legs, do i plan to have my entire body inked? well time will tell,  so it aint never been a problem gettin in a plant, the tats dont meen a thang, if your qaulified to be a hp.

peace

rapidray

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2009, 05:24 »
\

This post made me laugh my considerable a$$ off.  I don't think I've read anything on this forum as funny--other than about every other HydroDave post... He's a real brain surgeon of comedy, too.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2009, 07:24 »
I remember when being a guy with an earring was strange. Tattoo's have become so common that unless you have them on your face or have some Nazi ink to proclaim yourself as a supremist of some sort, people just don't really care any more. Unless you are interviewing for a job. Having tattoo's is one thing, showing up to an interview displaying all of them is quite another. I have been a hiring manager before and I would view someone showing up with all thier tat's showing the same as someone showing up wearing dirty sweats instead of a suit(and I have seen this). A bad first impression is nearly impossible to recover from. Your tattoo's will be your first impression, not what you have to say. Let people get to know you and respect you for how you think, what you know and how you perform, then let them in on the tattoo's.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:18 »
Speaking of tats on the face....

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/5657370/tattoo-gone-wrong-stars-and-gripes-forever/

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Belgian teenager has told police how she emerged from a tattoo parlor with 56 stars over one side of her face, rather than the three she had asked for, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

"I said this part, the top, is ok, but not the rest," Kimberley Vlaeminck from the city of Kortrijk, 90 km (56 miles) northwest of Brussels, told Belgian broadcaster VRT.

The 18-year-old said she fell asleep during the procedure, and woke up in pain when her nose was being tattooed.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2009, 06:53 »
Speaking of tats on the face....

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/5657370/tattoo-gone-wrong-stars-and-gripes-forever/

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Belgian teenager has told police how she emerged from a tattoo parlor with 56 stars over one side of her face, rather than the three she had asked for, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

"I said this part, the top, is ok, but not the rest," Kimberley Vlaeminck from the city of Kortrijk, 90 km (56 miles) northwest of Brussels, told Belgian broadcaster VRT.

The 18-year-old said she fell asleep during the procedure, and woke up in pain when her nose was being tattooed.

+K for the new avatar
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2009, 07:45 »
http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5520,00.html#15_330

Pictures of people I would not Hire to include a Lizard and a Cat.  Hey I can down load a youtube but can not do a picture.  Can someone download the Cat and Lizard person here and tell me how to do it.  It is funny!!!  Maybe the dude with 6005 piercings also!!!

Lizard Dude

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5520,00.html#4_0

Cat Man
http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5520,00.html#6_0

6005 piercing dude

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5520,00.html#1_0
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009, 06:14 by thenukeman »

Arpydave

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2009, 04:27 »
Wear an appropriate longer sleeved shirt to the interview, make your best impression there whether you have tatts or not.
Once you have a foot in the door, gauge your actions based on your co-workers AND your supervision.  If your employer has a "probation period" of say, 6 months, tread light.  That goes for actions as well as showing off your ink.  Just plain 'ol common sense.

Once you can stand on your abilities, your current and future designs shouldn't be a thing (so long as they aren't out and out offensive).

And yeah Mike (BZ); you me, Steve B. in I&C and Steve C. in Ops led the way in ponytails up here at Fermi.  I just had all the ink, too!

Dave S. aka RP Dave

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:11 »

No food for you!!  No Job For you!! To many tattoo on you!!!!

If you have a tat that looks like a cat, then you will not be working where I am At.

Thanks HydroDave on posting Pictures Help!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009, 09:29 by thenukeman »

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:13 »

No food for you!! 

You are weird enough to fit in with the operators.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:42 »
There are still many in society who see people who have tattoos, especially abundant tattoos as being aberrant or having criminal tendencies, either consciously or subconsciously. I would cover them up with a suit for any interview.
No one gets out alive.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?