Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPUA honeypot

Author Topic: NPUA  (Read 387943 times)

longbow55

Re: NPUA
« Reply #450 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:58 »
Henry,

Sorry I didn't make myself real clear but I agree with everything you are saying. You make a lot of sense. What I meant was that the others don't want to hear reason. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #451 on: Sep 20, 2010, 08:39 »
Or.....south of the border folks come in on a much lower wage (like they have been doing with Bartlett Mexico) and take the contract and be happy. They are just dying to get our jobs in this market.

Or, on the other hand....if NPUA or some other agency has 400 signed cards wanting representation, and companies X, Y and Z lobby their pet Congresscritter that they need more H1-B visas for foreign techs because they can't find enough techs (at the lowest accepted wage), organized labor will hold real prima facie evidence to rebut that argument. As it stands now....well, we all have our own opinions and facts, don't we? ;)

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #452 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:48 »
The NLRB in Atlanta ruled in favor of the NPUA in regards to the recent core tech representation election at Vogtle/Farley/Hatch. As a result the election results were overturned and Bartlett received an unfair labor charge from the NLRB.

While the NLRB ordered a re-vote due to the timing of Bartlett’s announcement about previously approved wage increases, the NLRB agreed that the actual wage increases were “not objectionable.”  In fact, the Board stated that “it is therefore clear that the enhanced wages and benefits are the fruit of the Employer’s extended negotiations with Southern Nuclear, negotiations which pre-date and were unrelated to the Union’s campaign.”  The union had nothing to do with it.  Which once again shows how the propaganda machine rolls and spreads the half truths and falsehoods such as the following statement pulled off their propaganda site…

“…Let me be clear, neither DZ Atlantic nor Bartlett have been willing to negotiate higher wages without involviing the NLRB….best regards NPUA leadership”

Now they want you to believe that we, as a contractor, don’t champion higher wages for the work force, that we, in their words, “low ball” contracts.  There could be nothing further from the truth.   I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we don’t decide how much we can pay, the market does.  Our mark-ups are such that we make next to nothing on a single technician, there is no wiggle room.  We make money by staffing whole outages, and it isn’t a whole hell of a lot of money after the dust from overhead settles.  We want to pay as much as we can, more often more than our clients approve.   

It’s a simple equation…The more we can pay, the more likely you the technician can make a living and stay in the business.  The more we can pay the more it attracts new blood into the business.  The more people in the business the better chances we have of staffing our contracts.  Now for the icing, the more we can pay, the more we can bill – who would have thunk?   So ask yourselves, why, for what perverse reason would we not want to renegotiate to increase wages with all of our clients?  Why would we not want to pay as much as we possibly can?  There is no legitimate reason, so the propaganda machine churns out falsehoods and half truths.  They promise if you side with them you’ll get $35/hr…guess what, not unless they can reach an agreed upon CBA and the client agrees. 

Have any of you that have questioned what this union will do for you been treated like a person or were you just yelled at, demeaned, and pushed aside as if your thoughts, opinions and concerns don’t matter.  Do you realize this union has no benefits, has no strike fund, and cannot legitimately promise you what they have been promising.  I of all people know how this industry has changed, how it’s gotten tighter and harder to earn a living. I’ve worked it for 21 years now.  I’ve seen it change first hand.   Do you really think it will be easier if they should take over – think about it.  Do you honestly think it will be better for all, or just the self appointed officers of the union that stand to make upwards of 140K or more.   Bring them in and you can add another layer to the equation, a bureaucracy that will tell you where you have to go to work and when or lose your standing in line.   

Right now y’all have a choice.  Right now you can apply for any site you want.  Decline any job you don’t want.  Work for any vendor you want.   Let them into your life and that won’t be the case anymore.  While you are being told where and when you have to go to work, or risk falling to the bottom of the list, the self appointed officers will be kicking back making 140+k per year.  Of course that’s not what they want to advertise.  $35/hr and a chicken in every pot!  Not unless they can reach a CBA and the client agrees.   Amazing isn’t it?  That they don’t tell you that part is no wonder, after all why tell you the truth when they don’t have to whereas I am bound by labor laws to tell you the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Anyways, believe what you will.  Their lies and half truths or the facts as I present them, it’s your choice, your prerogative.  As always I will stand up to the falsehoods, half-truths and propaganda that anyone throws our way.  Take it or leave it, it’s your CHOICE.  The operative word here is CHOICE.  Keep your right to choose or give it away, you decide.  Do some research, read up on this group and see how much it will cost you for no legitimate guarantee in return.  All I ask is that y’all think long and hard before you make a decision.  It’s a lot easier to vote them in than it is to vote them out. 
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #453 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:12 »
Have any of you that have questioned what this union will do for you been treated like a person or were you just yelled at, demeaned, and pushed aside as if your thoughts, opinions and concerns don’t matter. 

Quote from: fsennyes on Aug 03, 2010, 09:54
That was the point I was trying to make to the Kool-Aid drinker...

I know…I’m actually a supporter a person getting a fair wage. The tech companies get more than their fair share which is why I’m a bit curious about some of the responses here. In fact, the obvious tech company suck ups really surprises me. It’s a far cry from the Chuck Pierce NUMANCO days…
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #454 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:31 »
And why did I get sucked back into this topic again?

Well, I'm siding with Bartlett after giving it much thought. Bartlett makes more sense especially the comment about telling techs what to do. None of the Techs I've been involved with enjoy that part of it. Free agency has always been the biggest benefit of being a road tech. 

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #455 on: Sep 21, 2010, 01:12 »
I don't care how much the union leadership makes if I can actually get 35 an hour.  I've been to the Bartlett headquarters and seen the "overhead".  Pretty nice.  Anyway, 22/85 was just too low for me.  I agree with some of what Eric is saying but I'd rather take a chance to get a much better wage.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #456 on: Sep 21, 2010, 01:23 »
I think I need to make an apology.

I have to admit a certain amount of confusion between the forum members Frankie Love/fsennyes and fschip.

The point I was hoping to make with my post above was that the NPUA vice president was doing exactly as Eric had mentioned in his post as to how those who disagree are treated on the thread.

So, reading Frankie Love's next post had me wondering where his "sarcasm alert" icon was.

Doing some research has shown me that Fankie Love and fschip are not the same people.

Where fschip is the admitted vice president of the NPUA

Frankie Love is not a representative of the NPUA as far as I can tell and is just another co-worker and contributer to the debate.

So to Frankie Love, for confusing you with fschip and making the post above, I'm sorry.

And to fschip, for insinuating that you had ridiculed members of this debate without cause, my apologies to you as well.

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #457 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:00 »
I heard that the union company is having problems paying there Techs. Just a rumor.
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #458 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:02 »
I've been getting that a lot lately. I am the guy who goes by Frankie Love and am not related to fschip. I'm the guy that started in 79 at DC Cook not the fschip that is a union guy. Besides, fschip does not make my BF list. Smart People now does. ;D

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #459 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:14 »
I heard that the union company is having problems paying there Techs. Just a rumor.

i heard you had 6 heads, and 14 arms...  Just a rumor.

Lets try not to be rumor mongers.  If its facts, say its facts.  If its bullshit, say its bullshit.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #460 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:19 »
I've been getting that a lot lately. I am the guy who goes by Frankie Love and am not related to fschip. I'm the guy that started in 79 at DC Cook not the fschip that is a union guy. Besides, fschip does not make my BF list. Smart People now does. ;D

It stems from you not quoting properly.  I just edited reply #446 for you, to help make it clear that you were not the other guy.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18812.msg127548.html#msg127548

Remember to properly quote people, and put your words outside of the quote.  This will help people not get confused.  SmartPeople and Beercourt were both confused, and I have to admit that I had to look a few times to figure it out myself.  These are all experienced forum users and smart people.

Click on the quote button to properly quote them, or use the
Code: [Select]
[quote]Stuff you want to quote.[/quote] commands to free-form quote stuff.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 02:21 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #461 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:23 »
I have to admit a certain amount of confusion between the forum members Frankie Love/fsennyes and fschip.

I was also having trouble keeping them straight from nukems.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #462 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:31 »
I don't care how much the union leadership makes if I can actually get 35 an hour. 

In this case IF is a pretty big word. I am pretty sure that someone just pulled that number out from somewhere. (Somewhere we don't want to talk about now.) The NPUA cannot promise 35 dollars or any other amount until they get through with all of the negotiations and see what the utilities are willing to pay. I really don't want anyone that makes idle promises to represent me. Now if they would just say we hope to get... or we will try to get... or we are doing our best to get... a certain amount then I may listen, but I know enough to know when someone is just blowing smoke...... I hope they are able to get members 50 dollars an hour but until they get a contract with every fly by night operation and the real companies out there, it is still going to be just wishful thinking. The little companies will just underbid the big companies and take the contracts from them, just like the old days when there were bunches of companies.  I hate to say it but wishful thinking won't pay my bills, but working for Bartlett for almost 20 years has paid them rather nicely for me. Would I like to make more? Of course I would, but I said I would work for my present salary, and I will until the contract runs out again.  Ok enough about that take care everyone and be safe!

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #463 on: Sep 21, 2010, 03:12 »
It stems from you not quoting properly.  I just edited reply #446 for you, to help make it clear that you were not the other guy.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18812.msg127548.html#msg127548

Remember to properly quote people, and put your words outside of the quote.  This will help people not get confused.  SmartPeople and Beercourt were both confused, and I have to admit that I had to look a few times to figure it out myself.  These are all experienced forum users and smart people.

Click on the quote button to properly quote them, or use the
Code: [Select]
commands to free-form quote stuff.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #464 on: Sep 21, 2010, 03:21 »
Better?    :D

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #465 on: Sep 21, 2010, 03:29 »
I already know people that got 35/hr and better per diem working for the NPUA company.  I thought everybody already knew that had happened?  I just said IF because 35/hr has only been available for a couple of jobs.  I hope it becomes more common place, that is where the IF came it.

duke99301

« Reply #466 on: Sep 21, 2010, 05:52 »
There are jobs that pay 35 an hour plus time and half and Diem is better and you do not have to pay union dues.for someone who will not help you when you have problems. all you have to do is shop for them they are there. A company I worked for last spring payed a very good rate to hp techs to be back up at VC summer.

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #467 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:37 »
i heard you had 6 heads, and 14 arms...  Just a rumor.

Lets try not to be rumor mongers.  If its facts, say its facts.  If its bullshit, say its bullshit.
Ok you caught me its a fact. Techs at Duane Aronld had trouble getting paid.
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #468 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:36 »
Better?    :D
Better.  In order to have your response in the same post, hit "quote".  You'll see the copied post in words only.  At the end of the post, you'll see the word "quote".  If you put your cursor to the right of "quote" and hit enter, you can put your response there.

For you more experienced members, if there's an easier way, please post it.
I still haven't figured out how to quote only a sentence within a post, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Sorry for being off topic, but wanted to help!
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 09:37 by retread »
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #469 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:11 »
I still haven't figured out how to quote only a sentence within a post, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Just delete what you don't want

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #470 on: Sep 22, 2010, 10:26 »
I don't care how much the union leadership makes if I can actually get 35 an hour.  I've been to the Bartlett headquarters and seen the "overhead".  Pretty nice.  Anyway, 22/85 was just too low for me.  I agree with some of what Eric is saying but I'd rather take a chance to get a much better wage.

I already know people that got 35/hr and better per diem working for the NPUA company.  I thought everybody already knew that had happened?  I just said IF because 35/hr has only been available for a couple of jobs.  I hope it becomes more common place, that is where the IF came it.

I understand where you are coming from but I feel I do have to explain a couple of things – 1st of all the headquarters are now rented from the previous owner of BNI (Bruce) at a cost lower than most facilities in this area of the country, if the rent were high we wouldn’t be still here in these buildings.  Plus overhead stands for a lot more than just our rent, we have statutory to pay, insurance, and non billable payroll to name a few things that go into it.

Next is the $35/hr.  I know its sounds good, hell I’d love to pay it – as the old saying goes in this business “pay it and they will come” but I can assure you just because they promise it doesn’t mean it will happen.  First they would have iron out a CBA with the vendor and after that the vendor would have to get utility approval, which I might add maybe easy to do on a back-up for a half dozen or a dozen techs, but to get a full crew…I don’t think so.  The reason I state that is because we have tried and it hasn’t happened.  Does this mean we won’t continue to try to get the highest possible wage our clients will allow? No.  Does this mean we will stop trying to educate our clients on the ever changing dynamics of this industry and what we think we need to do as far as increasing compensation? No.  This means we will continue to champion pay and overall compensation changes that will benefit our work force and give them the ability to earn what they feel they should be earning. 

All I ask is to at least do yourself justice by doing the research and taking a close look at THIS group and make an educated decision before rushing blindly like lemmings off the cliff just because they “promise” $35/hr.   

As always,

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #471 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:21 »
In my previous nuclear life, I attended a number of NRC region meetings. As always, the concern was staffing HP's for the outage. RPM's were concerned as well as the HP vendors about staffing. But, whomever the Corporate utility, the Corp. $$ squeeze will continue. Doesn't matter what the situation, monies will be moved around which supports what Eric is saying. If it's in the utilities best interest to pay, they will pay. Otherwise, not. I'm sure there are reasons dictating those utilities who chose to pay the extra $$. Goes back to what I said before. Free agency is still better. [2cents]

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #472 on: Sep 22, 2010, 02:17 »
In this case IF is a pretty big word. I am pretty sure that someone just pulled that number out from somewhere. (Somewhere we don't want to talk about now.) The NPUA cannot promise 35 dollars or any other amount until they get through with all of the negotiations and see what the utilities are willing to pay. I really don't want anyone that makes idle promises to represent me. Now if they would just say we hope to get... or we will try to get... or we are doing our best to get... a certain amount then I may listen, but I know enough to know when someone is just blowing smoke...... I hope they are able to get members 50 dollars an hour but until they get a contract with every fly by night operation and the real companies out there, it is still going to be just wishful thinking. The little companies will just underbid the big companies and take the contracts from them, just like the old days when there were bunches of companies.  I hate to say it but wishful thinking won't pay my bills, but working for Bartlett for almost 20 years has paid them rather nicely for me. Would I like to make more? Of course I would, but I said I would work for my present salary, and I will until the contract runs out again.  Ok enough about that take care everyone and be safe!

Lying in the hospital bed this past week; I was thankful for Bartlett and them paying our bills as well. I was thankful for the insurance that has paid all my bills after deductible (even though it was a high one)... and funny thing as I talked to Henry long distance I wasn't concerned about not having a vacation home or a time share, a bigger better car, more cash in the bank as I couldn't take it with me and well... I just missed my husband and thought about all the days, months and years we had been seperated while he traveled the road.

As far as the NPUA, I believe forcing a second vote at Southern Company is childish, a waste of money and wonder when it will end. I also pondered this... how many techs are there in the United States, or how many people are eliglbe to belong to the NPUA vs how many have signed cards? Statics please?

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #473 on: Sep 22, 2010, 03:05 »
If Henry made more money maybe he could stay home once in a while.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #474 on: Sep 22, 2010, 04:52 »
If Henry made more money maybe he could stay home once in a while.

Perhaps or perhaps he would have spent it on more toys like most of us.... could have, would have, should have.... however I'd like to say you either forgot the fact or didn't know that Henry and I are 30 plus year vets and we've seen big money come and go. Been there and done that. Been through IRS audits because of IRM, been through no work because of last union effort and been through loosing friends and family to the business...

Seems to me that you and others are the ones worried about more money... what would you do with and how much is enough? Instead of being a &*&D and taking nasty shots at me do something to promote your cause (NPUA).  :(  -K -K -K -K -K

BTW, my husband was right where he needed to be with me before and after surgery and for the next 2 days then he took a break and went to work.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?