Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Excited about being a Nuke

Author Topic: Excited about being a Nuke  (Read 5037 times)

PotentialNuke

Excited about being a Nuke
« on: Apr 04, 2010, 03:40 »
Guys, I have to say that my time is coming up very soon for me to be a contributor to the domain of which some have already served and that of which are still serving. I leave to Great Lakes on the 7th of July, and feel very fortunate to soon be a Nuke. (I'm not trying to be cocky about already saying I will be a Nuke, just optomistic). I appreciate the help I have received from this site and site members, as it has put me into contanct with a Naval officer who has been able to answer a lot of questions I have posed concerning the path he took and how I might be able to do likewise. If anybody has any "last minute" advise to offer before I start my journey, please feel free to post it. I appreciate this site and those of you who offer advise.
Elias

JustinHEMI05

Re: Excited about being a Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2010, 03:47 »
My standard new recruit advice;

- Keep your hair cut.
- Keep your face shaved.
- Keep your uniforms cleaned and pressed.
- Keep your boots black.
- Say sir, ma'am, Chief after everything you say.

Remember those basic military requirements, and your life in the pipeline will be much easier. No need to draw undue attention to yourself because you can't follow simple military rules. You will see guys that do challenge the rules though, as if they are surprised they have to get a hair cut, and they never win.

Good luck, congratulations and keep up posted!

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:28 »
Some time ago, another new recruit came onto this forum asking the question "How can I make my time in the navy a good one?" I wrote a response that covered a wide range of general advice.  You can read it here.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18505.msg105492.html#msg105492

A few posts later, xforcehunter made a comment that I think is worth mentioning again.  Your time in the navy will be what you make of it.  There are going to be plenty of days where life just plain sucks and you'll be kicking yourself for ever signing up for this gig.  But don't let that discourage you.  And whatever you do, don't give up.

When it's all over, you should be able to look back on your naval service with pride, not shame.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

PotentialNuke

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2010, 01:06 »
Thank you all for your time in responding to this. Curmudgeon, sovbob, I read both links you've provided, and they were very imformative. Marssim, I appreciate the logic of it, except for the pent up aspect of being a nuke, concerning potential and kinetic. I'm just waiting for approximately 9.8m/s^2 to take place. I do not mean any disrespect towards you at ALL, and sure as hell am not trying to be smarter in any way, shape or form. Just scrutinizing. I really do appreciate you all for your time, and willl keep you posted.
Elias

jowlman

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2010, 05:23 »
Something else to remember, Boot Camp is not the military. It is their initiation to becoming a member of the club. So do what you have to, to make it through and then things will become somewhat easier.

ravenuke

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2010, 11:55 »
I can give you a little advice about A school that will put you ahead of the curve. 

-Always be 15 minutes early for everything.

-Get your hair cut on payday and it will never be an issue.

-Keep the boots shined.

-Volunteer for leadership.

-Do what the instructors say.  They really do want you to succeed.

-Stay in shape.  Lots of people get fat in nuke school.

-Stand out in your class by getting the best grade and being and example, not by criticizing your shipmates.

-Under 21, don't drink.

-If you do something wrong, don't brag about it to anyone, they will tell on you.  I can't stress this one enough.  We see this a lot in the POD that some student said they went to a party and were overheard by a shipmate who told on them and they go to mast for something they did 8 months earlier. 

-If you're married, don't cheat.  This seems to be another popular one.

Finally, just study and use the NDI.  Get good grades and do a good job.  Many students make this a lot harder than it truly is.  PM me if you have any questions.  Good luck.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2010, 01:28 »

-If you do something wrong, don't brag about it to anyone, they will tell on you.  I can't stress this one enough.  We see this a lot in the POD that some student said they went to a party and were overheard by a shipmate who told on them and they go to mast for something they did 8 months earlier. 

I disagree with this one. If you find that you did something wrong, tell your Section Advisor. First make sure he understands why you are telling him. Tell him or her that you understand the Navy is about integrity, not perfection. And that you had a lapse in judgement, that you want to make him or her aware of and accept the consequences. This is the behavior we expect in the flleet when one makes an error on a precritical check, planned maintenance, etcetera--so that it can be fixed before it becomes a bigger problem. You will have consequences, but they will be minor in comparison to if they come to you after finding out from somebody else.

At least, I hope I didn't leave my Navy in that big of a mess that what I'm telling you is B.S. ...

deltarho
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

ravenuke

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2010, 06:59 »
I disagree with this one. If you find that you did something wrong, tell your Section Advisor. First make sure he understands why you are telling him. Tell him or her that you understand the Navy is about integrity, not perfection. And that you had a lapse in judgement, that you want to make him or her aware of and accept the consequences. This is the behavior we expect in the fleet when one makes an error on a practical check, planned maintenance, etcetera--so that it can be fixed before it becomes a bigger problem. You will have consequences, but they will be minor in comparison to if they come to you after finding out from somebody else.

This is absolutely correct.  I was mostly referring to underage drinking with this one.  We are told to try resolve any issue at the lowest level, and if a shipmate fixes the problem, then it is done.  Thats why i say don't brag.  The reason I am replying commenting is because if it is for underage drinking, do not tell your SLPO.  They are required to start captain's mast paperwork if you tell them.  Go to the DAPA.  You will find out who that is when you get here, but they have what is called "safe haven".  You could also tell the chaplain if you want to report yourself.  This way you do not get in trouble for trying to come clean.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2010, 02:39 »
I was a Section Adviser for class 9050 and 9101 ETs at NFAS. I called them the Alphas and the Omegas--the beginning and the end. After a sailor was found stuck and passed out under the closed back gate in Orlando trying to sneak in because he was under age, I had the wonderful distinction of having one of mine incriminated with him. As I interviewed my guy, he admitted it, and I asked him whether he was with any others. When it was all said and done, 13 between the two sections were indicted for underage drinking and one 22 year old was found to be contributing to the delinquency of the minors--he was "helping" them out buying the booze, renting a hotel room, confiscating keys, and playing babysitter so that nobody would get hurt.

I was in a pickle; I always told the guys that I would allow them to be stupid and make mistakes, however they would get no mercy for lying, cheating, or stealing. Every one of my guys when confronted told the truth when asked whether they were underage drinking. I never told them whether someone else fingered them. I asked each one of my students, one by one, even the ones not implicated by the others. Only the ones who everyone else said was involved admitted they were drinking. Some who weren't drinking told me that they heard rumors, but because they were not there, did not want to speculate--which I totally agree with--NO GOSSIPING!

I came up with a recourse that the Captain, who later became at least a two star, supported; it allowed everyone save the 22 year old to continue with their training, but on probation. The 22 year old went into 30-day treatment and would be reinstated into the program if he successfully completed 1 year of after care.

This event was THE silver bullet. I do not believe the grace and mercy shown will be repeated because of the emphasis placed on NOT drinking underage--regardless of one's integrity. In fact, the word was put out afterward that any future occurrences will not be tolerated, that the command was using the event as a teachable moment, and that the executioner's hand was still at the lever for the affected students, despite what rumors any students may have heard.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2010, 02:44 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?