Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rookie Nuke worker Questions

Author Topic: Rookie Nuke worker Questions  (Read 139225 times)

TWillis

Re: A Question
« Reply #100 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:23 »
Ok, feeling guilty for not answering the questions asked.  I can best speak of the underground mining end, but some will aply to surface/open pit mining.

What types of jobs are available?

To answer this accurately I would need to contact the mining companies themselves, as you may want to.

I need some detail on four different (preferably dominate) jobs...

Geologists, mine engineering, miners, and health/safety to include health physics.

Geologists:  A degree is a must, and a post grad would help, although I've heard more than one mining company say that they don't like Ph.d's, "cost to much and they think they already know everything", or something like that.  Most State Universities offer geology degrees though the universities in mining states are more likely to have better (and more respected) programs.  There are colleges that specialize in geology/mining, Colorado School of Mines, South Dakota School of Mines, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, to name a few.  With the degree one also needs the experience in the geology of uranium.

Salary: dependant on degree and experience ($35K - low 6 figures)

Mine Engineers:  What applied above for geologists, also applies to mine engineers.  Although knowledge specific to uranium may not be needed, knowledge/experience with the rock type, mostly, but not limited to sandstone.

Salary:  dependant on degree and experience ($35K - low 6 figures)

Miners:  Speaking for underground operations only, miners usually work under contract, meaning, to keep it simple, that they are paid by the amount of rock they move.  To expand that a little bit, they get paid an hourly wage and by the amount of rock they move and the grade (Uranium content), this is adjusted for the distance the miners have to move the material, i.e. deeper in the mine, farther away from the dump, more money.  Miners are normally compensated for the number of roof support bolts they install, installing these takes time away from breaking/moving rock.  There are other things that take time away from the main objective of moving rock that are usually compensated.

Contract miners are usually compensated through a graded system, a "C" miner (apprentice), "B" Miner (Journyman), and "A" (Master), each getting paid a graded percentage of the contract amount.

Of course any mining company wants you to come in with experience, but due to where most Uranium mining is performed, i.e. the boonies, most have training programs.

Salary:  Hard to say these days, there are so few left, but likely in the $35k - 100K range.  The more rock you break and the better you are at keeping the grade (this does take skill and experience), the more you make.

Health/Safety and Health Physics:  Well you have this Wedsite to direct you on that part of your research.

Salary:  likely in $30k - 70k range, depending on position.  Sorry guys no diem.

As far as the living experience, I spent close to 5 years living in Ticaboo, Utah, 250 miles away from the nearest mall, movie theater, etc.  The nearest next town is 60 miles away and most of those folks worked at the mine or mill.  I miss it alot.

Mining towns, anywhere, are a little ruff and tumble (work hard/playhard), but usually people you can count on.

Oh, by the way we were 10 miles from Bullfrog marina on Lake Powell.  In the summertime, and its a fairly long one, fishing, water skiing, girls.....

Hope this helps you out with your research

huckawayne

How to contact Callaway?
« Reply #101 on: Jul 22, 2006, 02:48 »
Hello, I will be separating from the navy in 2 weeks.  Been in for 11 years, MM/LELT/EWS.   Moving back to Jefferson City, MO.  Want to work for Callaway.   Really want a job in OPS.  Does anyone know when they are hiring the next Aux Operator Class?  Also trying to get a contact phone number to the human resources dept. so I can talk to someone.  Does anyone out there work for Callaway that can give me some info on the plant?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: How to contact Callaway?
« Reply #102 on: Jul 22, 2006, 03:46 »
Hi Huckawayne,
I work at Callaway.  I haven't heard when the next Ops class is going to be.  We have an Asst. equipment operator class going now that just started about 4 months ago.  The next one probably won't be for another year.  Check the Ameren site www.ameren.com and look at the jobs listing.  Any Callaway jobs will have Fulton as the location.  I believe that there are 4 Rad Chem Helper jobs on there right now.  PM me if you have any questions. 

Hope this helps,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

huckawayne

Re: How to contact Callaway?
« Reply #103 on: Jul 23, 2006, 12:30 »
thanks nuclear nascar.  I have been visiting the website daily.  I haven't seen the rad chem helper jobs posted, but I will keep watching.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Job Search Strategy
« Reply #104 on: Aug 08, 2006, 11:02 »
I think this thread is well suited to what I am looking for (besides this is just plain great info/advice) so I will try and breath new life into it.
I am looking for input on what an Ex-Navy Nuke should emphasis in his resume.  In my situation, a 23 year chief, should I go heavy on leadership/management or place more focus on operational experience? (FYI I am look for NLO (instant SRO, but I am not sure they would consider me for that))
I guess what I am wondering is what do you guys who work in the field think is important to the HR people.  I know that may not match what you think is important but unforunatly I have to get through them to get to you :).
I have both Navy nuclear and Navy conventional plant experience (de-nuked 1989). How should I handle the de-nuke thing?  I am not ashamed of it, I got a raw deal and have a letter from SUBLANT saying that I should be reinstated (never happened but figure the letter counts for something).

PS I would be happy to recieve (by email or PM) any resumes you guys have use in the past (hopefully one that worked :) ;))

Thanks,
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Fermi2

« Reply #105 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:43 »
Don't sweat the de nukerd thing. Be open an honest about it.

Wanna see my resume?

shayne

« Reply #106 on: Aug 08, 2006, 05:44 »

I am looking for input on what an Ex-Navy Nuke should emphasis in his resume.  In my situation, a 23 year chief, should I go heavy on leadership/management or place more focus on operational experience? (FYI I am look for NLO (instant SRO, but I am not sure they would consider me for that))
I guess what I am wondering is what do you guys who work in the field think is important to the HR people.  I know that may not match what you think is important but unforunatly I have to get through them to get to you :).

My best advice would be gear the resume toward the specific job you are applying for.  The job announcement is going to have all the required skills and job functions/duties.  Your resume should include all your accomplishments/skills that match what the announcement is looking for.  If the announcement lists operational experience, you resume will be mostly operations experience and maybe little management experience.

HR may be filtering your resume.  They may not understand the terminology in both your resume or the announcement.  However they can compare your resume with the announcement and filter based on how well it matches.  So it isn't a bad idea to use the announcement to help write your own accomplishments and skills.

Fermi2

« Reply #107 on: Aug 08, 2006, 07:10 »
One page MAXIMUM, anything longer is BS and boring.

Make it relevant, no one cares what you did 23 years ago. What I look for is..

1: Do you meet the basic quals for the position?

2: What have you done in the last 5 years?

3: How did your accomplishments help your group succeed. Saying you supervised 45 EMs in a division is meaningless trivia. Saying you supervised 45 EMs for a 3 year period without any personnel errors and 22 of these EMs were subsequently promoted tells me a lot.

4: No one cares if you oversaw a 2 million dollar budget what we doi care about is if you oversaw a budget did you meet it, and did you come up with ways to track how you were gonna meet it.

Anything else is a history lesson and mindless trivia.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: Aug 10, 2006, 09:56 »
I know I need to keep it in civilian terms as much as possible, but do they (HR) run them by people in OPs for input or feedback?

For #1 what do you consider to be the top 2 or 3 items that are the basic quals?

#2 last five years have been steam plant inspector and department supervisor would you consider that a draw back.  Ie not actually doing operations on the plant?

#3 Good one for a senior Navy guy, do they place a premium on the ability to develop subordinates in the civilian plants? I this may sound like a dumb question, but us lifers have heard for years how in the civ world people do not go out of thier way to help you learn/advance becasue the more valuable they become the less valuable you may become.

#4 The money thing is somthing us not for profit guys :) have to worry about a little less but I see your point.  This does bring up another question though--- How does the civilian nuke world look at people who have been successful by doing thing different (outside the box thinking).  I do not mean not doing the "JOB" right but I am thinking more about people who push for ways to improve the system or processes. Vauge, yes but I am wondering if I should put much emphisis on being a catylast for change and improvement.  Or will that be looked at as being a non-comformist (I often thought nuc school should have started each day with the students reciting the pledge of alignece followed by the borg mantra of "Resistance is Futile, You Will Be Assimulated!!!") ;D

Rob   

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #109 on: Aug 15, 2006, 05:55 »
How about recruiter? DO plants/companies use them or do they mostly relie on in house HR people. Ie should I work with a recruiter if I am trying to get in with Duke or other utilities like Dominion, TVA, Progress?

Rob 

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #110 on: Aug 15, 2006, 02:58 »
Some companies use recruiters. But for OPS positions, typically they aren't using them. Most of the Southeast plants (besides FL) get a plethora of qualified applicants for the entry level positions. I think TVA only takes locals unless they need to expand the search due to HR concerns (diversity, Veteran's, etc.).

Some utilities typically use recruiters only to fill difficult slots (such as instructor certified previously licensed individuals that recently got called from here).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Aug 29, 2006, 08:52 »
OK well I sent out my first resumes today (two to Duke sites, one to Dominion corporate) Anyone have recomendation for plant ops people to send resume to (tomorrw I will send in to Progress and FPL) Concentrating on SE for now.

Suggestions?????

Rob

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #112 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:15 »
I recently noted a post by a guy looking to get hired quick. Guess this deserves a bump.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline ProjectStew

• Very Lite User
IT outsourcing in nuclear field, does it exist?
« Reply #113 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:40 »
Hi,

Question as I work in the IT field for a software co. and we lose/compete for a lot of the work as it is sent to India, etc.

Does IT outsourcing exist in the North American nuclear design field? My understanding is this is not the case, especially in a union environment.

Is this a misconception on my part?

Thanks,

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Re: IT outsourcing in nuclear field, does it exist?
« Reply #114 on: Dec 28, 2006, 08:10 »
seems like it may be a misconception.....just look at Dell for example..their tech support might as well be a direct dial to India!

Offline ProjectStew

• Very Lite User
« Reply #115 on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:28 »
I was expecting to hear outsourcing does not occur in nuclear field

Fermione

IT outsourcing in nuclear field, does it exist?
« Reply #116 on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:51 »
Our major utility has it's help desk in Toronto.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #117 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:44 »
I thought it was in general....sorry.
At the plant i work at, the IS/IT dept is a NON- Bargining unit..IE non-union & it is not out-sourced..but we are a relatively small utility.
Probably like that at most utilities i presume...the non-union thing.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2006, 12:47 by RRhoads »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #118 on: Dec 29, 2006, 01:06 »

"So your network connection is oat...bad luck,eh?..."

Offline ProjectStew

• Very Lite User
« Reply #119 on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:51 »

Interesting that would be outsourced to Toronto...might as well outsource that to somewhere further away.

Is it better to work in a union environment or non?

wlksjstn

New Career
« Reply #120 on: Dec 30, 2006, 06:38 »
Hello everybody.  I've been a machinist since I have been in high school and have both a Journeyman Cert. and a Manufacturing Engineering degree, and for approximately 9 years and for the last 8 months I have been doing field service work for a global milling machine manufacturer.

The nuclear field has facinated me for the longest time, and I happen to live 'close' to Davis Besse and the Perry plant in Northern Ohio.  Both my good friend and uncle work for First Energy as Journeyman Lineman/Substation Supervisor, and are always trying to get me to jump fence.

I guess what I am asking is if there is any place in the Nuke field for a guy like me?  Work ethic and skills in my field aren't much of a problem at all, but I'm very very green at the idea of the Nuke field and don't know any details at all, or even where to start if you catch my drift.  I'm the type of guy who is always looking for the next rung on the ladder and can just feel myself getting stuck in a rut.

Any opinions would be great!  wlksjstn@yahoo.com

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: New Career
« Reply #121 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:07 »
machinists are in great demand in the nuke field, both as in house at nuke plants and for vendors during outages for on site work and at the repair facilities.  inasfar as i know, the equipment is not all that different.  the main difference should be that alot of detail is paid to the waste stream.  this would include the scrap from the material, lubes 'n other liquid wastes, and the small particles which you may be used to as dust and grime.  all of these compound the work as their containments are mandatory and can cause some consternation when they interfer with the "normal way things are done". 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
Chem Tech, Calvert Cliffs ?????'s
« Reply #122 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:25 »
Well here goes.

I started applying for jobs at various Nuclear Power plants about 6 weeks ago.  Well I have gotten three  real responses so far, which I am feeling pretty good about.  The first two were for Aux Operator positions or what I believe you folks have been referring to as NLO's.  The first of these was in NC (New Hill???) and was unlikely since it had a start date of Jan 2, 2007.  The second was for Duane Arnold in IA.  Which, by the way, is a little werid to see FLORIDA Power and Light in Iowa.  The third and perhaps most "responsive" reponse was for a Chemistry Technician position in Calvert Cliff's MD.  By responsive I mean they wanted to interview ASAP, began talking about benefits/relocation/etc.  They also quoted me a starting salary (without asking) higher than what I have seen for NLO postions in discussions here, though I guess that is relative since those salaries, for NLO, appear to be tiered to the progress you make in training.

My first question is what does a Chem Tech do?  I was an ELT in the Navy, so any correlation to that would be great.

What do you think of Chem Techs?  I see alot of you post as HP Techs or Operators.  Are Chem techs operations or something else.  The position is shift work.  Is this a great way to get experience in company to pursue other things like RO, management, HP???

What is the consensus of Calvert Cliff's?  If nothing else what is the area like?  I googled the area and it "looks" like it should be beautiful.  I grew up in Hampton, VA as an USAF brat so I have good memories of that.  My main worry is that it would be super expensive, so maybe that is why the higher starting salary exists. 

I am sure I will think of something else, but I dont want this to get beyond scope of the forum.  It took me a half an hour to come up with the title, and it looks rather lame.  Sorry for that.

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
Re: Chem Tech, Calvert Cliffs ?????'s
« Reply #123 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:45 »
Hi Cincy,

Quite a few of us on this board have worked at Calvert Cliffs in some capacity. It is coastal area of Maryland, and is considered by some to be a suburb of D.C. (though located at least 1-2 hr south). Area can be expensive, but then there are expensive places in most areas.

Usually the chem techs keep track of water chemistry in the various systems and also perform gamma spec analysis of sample and items to be release from the Radiation Controlled Area, among other things.

I saw the ?? in your post by New Hill. That would be Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant, New Hill is barely a town and is located between Sanford and Raleigh, NC. If you look on the map, just look for the town of Apex and you will be close. Shearon Harris was actually my home plant for lots of years.

Hope this info helps.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
Re: Chem Tech, Calvert Cliffs ?????'s
« Reply #124 on: Dec 30, 2006, 09:14 »
So am I safe to assume that a chem tech is more analytical??  My thought is how much HP stuff is a Chem Tech likely to do??  In the Navy we did both, so I wonder if in a civilian plant it will be much more exclusive to performing analyses?

So, what happens to Chem Techs during an outage?  Are their systems requiring upkeep or do they join in with what is going on...kind of an all hands thing?

Where are the inexpensive areas?  Would I have to go to VA or are there some near the plant?  I dont mind being out in the middle of nowhere, since I am now.  The handle is Cincinnati, but only the job is there.  I live in Indiana, though not very far into it mind you.  It helps in that I dont have to listen to every obnoxious "The" Ohio State Univ. fan.  I never thought I would say it, but I am actually going to be pulling for Florida.

What is dare I ask a typical home range from?  You know 3BR, 2 BA a yard??  How much are **GULP** property taxes in an area as exclusive as this?  Keep in mind my and the wife's family live in Alabama.  I think property taxes are voluntary..only kidding.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?