Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Previous Exposure for Civil Service  

Author Topic: Previous Exposure for Civil Service  (Read 3752 times)

jmoackler

Previous Exposure for Civil Service
« on: Mar 24, 2011, 10:26 »
I'm not sure if this would be the appropriate forum, nor did I see anything pertinent in search results. I'm a prior surface nuke and now work for RadCon at NNSY. I have my exposure record for my time on the ship, but my supervisor is telling me I need start and stop times for my lifetime exposure, which means I apparently need any records NPTU may have. Is there any contact info for NPTU to acquire this information, preferably an email so I have piece of mind using my DoD email, or can I get transferred around just using their public quarterdeck or admin phone? I'm aware that my medical process will request this info through other official channels or something along the lines of finding my stored medical record, but I've been told I should attempt to find these records myself. Thank you to anyone who replies, and feel free to PM me if the contact info shouldn't be public or anything.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Previous Exposure for Civil Service
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2011, 03:35 »
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ and request your Navy medical records.

Offline Jonesmp

• Very Lite User
Re: Previous Exposure for Civil Service
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:37 »
I had a similar question when I started at Kansas State University at a test and research reactor (I wanted to make sure I didn't need to report it).  Our Radiation Safety Officer told me that although it was nuclear work, it's essentially bench-marked as irrelevant for occupational exposure for students; however your NPTU records for exposure should have been forwarded to your first, second, and so on (whatever it may be) command.  Regulations do change all the time, so it's possible that your NPTU records were not required to be forwarded when you went through. 

If the records are not available, a safe assumption is 1 REM per quarter for 2 quarters at whatever age you were.  Basically, that increases your lifetime risk of cancer (assumed) of .08% out of 21.2% based on the numbers that we have here. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?