Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fort Calhoun

Author Topic: Fort Calhoun  (Read 31635 times)

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
Fort Calhoun
« on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:33 »
Anyone know the status of Fort Calhoun's flooding issues? I know there was a small switchgear fire and they were bracing for flooding last week but never heard any updates, besides some of the crack pot reports floating around about a "level 4" accident, which obviously is bull.

MacGyver

Re: Fort Calhoun
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:58 »
Anyone know the status of Fort Calhoun's flooding issues? I know there was a small switchgear fire and they were bracing for flooding last week but never heard any updates, besides some of the crack pot reports floating around about a "level 4" accident, which obviously is bull.

When I need Ft Calhoun info I go here:  Ft Calhoun (Region IV)

The answer (partial at least) to the question you asked is found here:  Your partial answer is the Plant is still shutdown (i.e. they are still in refueling).  I really can't venture a response about the fire or offer an update.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2011, 09:03 by MacGyver »

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:39 »
late night coast to coast with george noory was talking about this

irishfan

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2011, 09:57 »
They had a quick clip on the NBC Evening News tonight and showed a video of the area.
Wow, that is a lot of water.  I hope the best for everyone there!

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2011, 10:33 »
From the pictures A.P. and Yahoo have on-line (sorry unable to hyperlink them)(any help rennhack?)  it would appear the only access  to the plant would be by bass boat at this point or a brave soul in waders....I would have to imagine those at the plant are busy with sandbags or pumps at this point...

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2011, 11:41 »
     I am an operator here at Port Calhoun  :).  We are experiencing major flooding onsite.  We are shutdown and will stay that way until the water level lowers. Access to the plant is via constructed walkways above the water. Plant is dry due to preps that were made.  Do a search on aqua damns.  Unless the river goes much higher than projected we will be fine.  For those that have been here the parking lots are all underwater.  They built a new one on the top of the hill in the prairie restoration area.
     As for the fire well it happened and they are doing an investigation as to what caused it now.  It was an electrical fire in the switchgear. 
     Hope that clears things up for everyone.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:35 »
     I am an operator here at Port Calhoun  :).  We are experiencing major flooding onsite.  We are shutdown and will stay that way until the water level lowers. Access to the plant is via constructed walkways above the water. Plant is dry due to preps that were made.  Do a search on aqua damns.  Unless the river goes much higher than projected we will be fine.  For those that have been here the parking lots are all underwater.  They built a new one on the top of the hill in the prairie restoration area.
     As for the fire well it happened and they are doing an investigation as to what caused it now.  It was an electrical fire in the switchgear. 
     Hope that clears things up for everyone.

Thank you! That will help combat the tin foil hat wearers believing that video going around saying Calhoun is at Level 4. /rollseyes.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 04:44 by DJ@LosAlamos »
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2011, 03:45 »
I found this one which make more sense then the last one. http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS-US_plants_on_flood_alert-2006114.html
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 04:43 by DJ@LosAlamos »
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:16 »
What about it?

Are you trying to say they did release radiation?

That someone died from rad related illness?

I mean... they are just shutdown... with some water around.... I don't have my PWR license yet, but I can't figure out what would have caused them to damage a core that has shut down from April. Again though, I am just a nub so what do I know?

Your first link appears to be gonzo journalism. The second appears to be more factual.

Either way, I trust the word of an operator on site, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 04:19 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:45 »
I trust you. I just can't believe what they put out in the new releases.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:05 »
I trust you. I just can't believe what they put out in the new releases.

You and me both.

Gonzo journalism..., they will now spin anything with the word "nuclear" in it into fukushima.

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:34 »
LMAO we have not damaged the core.  We have released nothing.  You have to love the news.

flblasted

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2011, 10:51 »
But... but what about the no-fly zone OPPD instituted over Fort Calhoun so that the helicopter pilots wouldn't receive lethal doses from the meltdown that is in progress RIGHT NOW?!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2011, 11:06 »
But... but what about the no-fly zone OPPD instituted over Fort Calhoun so that the helicopter pilots wouldn't receive lethal doses from the meltdown that is in progress RIGHT NOW?!

I am going to assume you are being sarcastic.  8)

flblasted

« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:45 »
Yeah, just a little bit though.   ;D

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:26 »
Thanks elwood, please keep us updated and stay safe.

IPREGEN

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2011, 12:31 »
Time to order a case of ShamWow

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

flblasted

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2011, 07:44 »
Word at our plant was they were piling sand on the back side of the aqua dam with shovels and decided it would be faster with a skid loader.  They cut a 4 ft. section into the aqua dam with that and collapsed it. 

I guess they cut off-site power preemptively when it happened and after they had installed additional barriers restored off-site power. 

I can't believe that they would authorize any work around that thing with a skidloader.

MacGyver

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:15 »
Just updated...

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/flood-berm-collapses-nebraska-nuclear-plant-174718311.html

It’s a little strange that author of that article referred to NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko as “the Jaczko”.

“When the Jaczko saw one of Cooper's two back-up diesel generators, he had to climb over three different sandbag barriers to get there.”

It is reassuring to read this from NRC website, “Fort Calhoun Station remains in the Notification of Unusual Event that was declared on June 6, 2011. The Missouri river level is at an elevation of 1006 feet 4 inches mean sea level (MSL). By design, the plant is protected to a river level elevation of 1014 feet MSL.

The information presented herein has been discussed with the licensee and is current as of 8:00 a.m., June 27, 2011.” http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1117/ML111780547.pdf

Eight feet is a long ways to go, isn’t it?

Bigchris

drayer54

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2011, 08:53 »
Eight feet is a long ways to go, isn’t it?

Not in the age of the shock and awe fear driven media.

This guy is going on every network and channel that will accept him as an expert and warning of the next fukushima, as everything appears to be the next imminent major disaster!

The agency that this clown is in charge of has an anti-nuclear agenda anyways.

Got to love our media and the fine job of reporting factual stories.

flblasted

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2011, 09:04 »
Not in the age of the shock and awe fear driven media.

The agency that this clown is in charge of has an anti-nuclear agenda anyways.

Got to love our media and the fine job of reporting factual stories.

People are afraid of what they don't understand and the media and the American public isn't equipped to understand the nuclear power industry.  I almost laughed out loud when she tried to compare a nuclear power plant to a car.  If I had the same standards with my car that a nuclear power plant does then that damned car would run for the rest of my life.  
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2011, 09:05 by flblasted »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:13 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?