Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Like Father,....Like Son,... honeypot

Author Topic: Like Father,....Like Son,...  (Read 28262 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Like Father,....Like Son,...
« on: Jun 29, 2011, 08:10 »
Father;

Shareholders Vote Nov. 4 On Shoreham

The fight over Governor Mario Cuomo's plan to abandon the Shoreham nuclear power plant moved a step closer to conclusion today as Shoreham's owner, the Long Island Lighting Company, scheduled a shareholder vote on the plan for Nov. 4....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/04/nyregion/shareholders-vote-nov-4-on-shoreham.html?src=pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Son;

Cuomo Takes Tough Stance on Nuclear Reactors

One of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s top advisers met with the operators of the Indian Point nuclear plant last week and told them that the governor was determined to close the plant....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/nyregion/cuomo-emphasizes-aim-to-close-indian-point-plant.html?_r=1

(sic)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Like Father,....Like Son,...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2011, 10:37 »
Nepatism at its finest!

Has anyone mentioned the prototypes in New York?

Sun Dog

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:04 »

Nepatism at its finest! (-5 pts/spelling)

Has anyone mentioned the prototypes in New York?

What does this topic have to do with nepotism?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:10 »
What does this topic have to do with nepotism?

Son blindly following the merits of his father. Figured this would fall into that realm. Son most likely got his position through his father, then using the same principles (the very problem with nepOtism [sorry lol]) to make his decisions. Im speculating of course, its entirely possible he developed his own thoughts and ideas free from persuasion of his parents.  :P

Things like this make me wonder why the military reactors never become under scrutiny. How can they want to shut down ONLY commercial plants, thats what I dont understand. BUT thats a completely different topic, so Ill leave it at that.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 11:12 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:23 »
Apples and oranges,...

nope, elected fair and square, well, not exactly fair, as the opposition did not offer anything close to viable or competent, but, squarely elected nonetheless,....

Every politician is elected "Fair and Square". George W. Bush was elected "fair and square" as well, marssim. (This was intended to be a "tongue in cheek" statement...)
so... :p  :D 8)

Not the point I was trying to make though. Looking at articles written by independent reviewers, closing the plant will generate more problems then solving. It's purely a political agenda for him, with obvious roots to his fathers decisions.

Here's some good reading.
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11666&page=R2
http://thisweekinnuclear.com/?p=1185

He's looking to wantonly close these plants, but has he offered any viable solutions to replacing the 2GW of power?

Heres his energy platform.

http://thisweekinnuclear.com/?p=1185

I also think its funny, the NYSIO opposes shutting down the plant, so he apparently wants to create an "independent" review panel to "examine the structure and practices of the New York Independent System Operator (“NYISO”) to determine whether reforms are appropriate."
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 11:49 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:42 »
Dude!

YOU ar gonna try to lecture Marssim on the saga of New York nuclear politics AND give a reading assignment?!?! What the F--- !
You may as well be trying to divide by zero!

No not at all! You misunderstood me. It piqued my interest, and I figured others would appreciate seeing those articles since marssim isnt the only one reading this... He's clearly reading it up on it himself, and Im sure he's already seen those, it was purely for any one else who wanted to see informative, non biased articles on it.

edit : my comments about the politics were intended to be tongue in cheek, not "lecturing", sorry.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 11:50 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:10 »
Lol yeah. I tried searching, but I havent found his views on the other nuke plants in the state, do you know his stance on those? Is it just this particular plant he doenst like?

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:35 »
Lol yeah. I tried searching, but I havent found his views on the other nuke plants in the state, do you know his stance on those? Is it just this particular plant he doenst like?

Its just the point due to its proximity to the city

if you understand the lingo

sf

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:10 »
That plant has been closed since the 80s. The fuel is sold and pieces of it are dismantled. IIRC the State didn't close it, Suffolk County wouldn't submit an Emergency plan so the NRC wouldn't license it.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:25 »
That plant has been closed since the 80s. The fuel is sold and pieces of it are dismantled. IIRC the State didn't close it, Suffolk County wouldn't submit an Emergency plan so the NRC wouldn't license it.

Who brought up Shoreham? The 'other' NY Nuclear Plant is Ginna in Ontario, NY near Rochester.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Sun Dog

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:38 »

Who brought up Shoreham? The 'other' NY Nuclear Plant is Ginna in Ontario, NY near Rochester.

I think Fitz & Nine Mile may deserve the designation of 'other' as much as Ginna does.  Shoreham was brought up by Marssim in the original post of this thread.

The fight over Governor Mario Cuomo's plan to abandon the Shoreham nuclear power plant...

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:51 »

Note under Father Marssim stated Shoreham. I used to work for the guy who was VP at Shoreham at the time and he said the blame rested solely on Suffolk County, not the state.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:52 »
I think Fitz & Nine Mile may deserve the designation of 'other' as much as Ginna does.  Shoreham was brought up by Marssim in the original post of this thread.

OK, if you want to get picky about it, the other mentioned NY plant. I was not trying to say that it was the only other one. I used to work for the company that owns Nine Mile -- I was there once. I realize it (and neighbor Fitzpatrick) exist.

Shoreham was brought up as the subject of the past (i.e. 'Father') part of this and that reference was about the time before it was dismantled, so Broadzilla's comment would not apply.

But thanks for the misinterpretation and unnecessary correction. It was fun.  ::)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:58 »
Note under Father Marssim stated Shoreham. I used to work for the guy who was VP at Shoreham at the time and he said the blame rested solely on Suffolk County, not the state.

Cuomo was trying to shut down Shoreham, but had no basis to do it. Suffolk County provided it for him. He got what he was after even if he had no way to get it himself. I still don't get the relevance of your comment about it being shut down since the 80's or being dismantled in the context of the thread, but it doesn't matter.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2011, 02:12 »
Given it was an imbedded part of the thread and used as the basis of comparison it has everything to do with it. Reading comprehension is a wonderful skill, wish it was an innate one too.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2011, 03:10 »
Once the NRC said no E Plan by Suffolk, No License it was a moot point. Suffolk killed it,.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2011, 04:38 »
Given it was an imbedded part of the thread and used as the basis of comparison it has everything to do with it. Reading comprehension is a wonderful skill, wish it was an innate one too.

I am not saying it wasn't mentioned (or embedded), just that your comment was irrelevant to the thread. Yes it was shut down and dismantled in the 80s -- brilliant observation. The thread was about Cuomo's attempt to stop it from going on line and his son's attempts to take Indian Point out. It really doesn't matter to this thread (or any other that I know of) why it failed to get licensed, the point was Cuomo's vendetta against it. He tried, but in the end it was the county that succeeded in stopping the plant. My guess is that the State could also choose not to participate and that had Suffolk County not done it for him Cuomo might have taken that route, too. That was the point -- not who managed to stop it, but that Cuomo tried, just like his son is trying to stop IP. Get it now? How is your reading comprehension doing? Mine is just fine.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:45 »
Father;

Shareholders Vote Nov. 4 On Shoreham

The fight over Governor Mario Cuomo's plan to abandon the Shoreham nuclear power plant moved a step closer to conclusion today as Shoreham's owner, the Long Island Lighting Company, scheduled a shareholder vote on the plan for Nov. 4....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/04/nyregion/shareholders-vote-nov-4-on-shoreham.html?src=pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Son;

Cuomo Takes Tough Stance on Nuclear Reactors

One of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s top advisers met with the operators of the Indian Point nuclear plant last week and told them that the governor was determined to close the plant....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/nyregion/cuomo-emphasizes-aim-to-close-indian-point-plant.html?_r=1

(sic)

5.5 YEARS LATER:

Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant to Close by 2021

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/nyregion/indian-point-nuclear-power-plant-shutdown.html?_r=0

The Indian Point nuclear plant will shut down by April 2021 under an agreement New York State reached this week with Entergy, the utility company that owns the facility in Westchester County, according to a person with direct knowledge of the deal.

Under the terms of the agreement, one of the two nuclear reactors at Indian Point will permanently cease operations by April 2020, while the other must be closed by April 2021. The shutdown has long been a priority for Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who — though supportive of upstate nuclear plants — has repeatedly called for shutting down Indian Point, which he says poses too great a risk to New York City, less than 30 miles to the south.....

almost forgot

[jerry] [Flamer] [beer]
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 08:31 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:34 »
Ah, Entergy. A bona fide industry leader... at shutting down plants!
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 10:39 by Red Gold »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:34 »
Ah, Entergy. A bona fine industry leader... at shutting down plants!
hay! license terminators got too eat two!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:00 »
“For 15 years, I have been deeply concerned by the continuing safety violations at Indian Point, especially given its location in the largest and most densely populated metropolitan region in the country,” Cuomo said in a statement. “... The state is fully prepared to replace the power generated by the plant at a negligible cost to ratepayers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/cuomo-ny-can-absorb-closing-of-indian-point-nuke-plant/2017/01/09/6f3f6732-d685-11e6-a0e6-d502d6751bc8_story.html?utm_term=.614ceb661ee8

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:35 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/cuomo-ny-can-absorb-closing-of-indian-point-nuke-plant/2017/01/09/6f3f6732-d685-11e6-a0e6-d502d6751bc8_story.html?utm_term=.614ceb661ee8

Hmmmm... There are liquid gas tankers in New York Harbor with a terminal in Perth Amboy. A rupture of one of these tankers could launch a gas cloud that when detonated by an ignition source on shore would be one of the largest explosions in US history. A lot of the replacement energy is likely to be gas. They are fighting fracking there as well!!! So much for adult supervision. NY get your wallets open.

Imagine an aerosolled gas cloud with no nearby ignition source.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:13 »
NY get your wallets open.

...but Gubner Cuomo said "negligible cost to ratepayers"!

Maybe we can start calling this the "Diablo Effect", or the "SONGS Effect", or the "VY Effect", or the ....

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:33 »
Hey yeah just like Germany is replacing all their nuke power with renewables!!!  hardy har, that was a good one.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:06 »

http://archive.longislandpress.com/2009/06/11/nuclear-waste-20-years-after-the-closure-of-the-shoreham-power-facility/

7.5 years old, but I hadn't read it before today, I found it quite interesting.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?