Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to become a Nuke ET?

Author Topic: How to become a Nuke ET?  (Read 10516 times)

cddistance

How to become a Nuke ET?
« on: Sep 07, 2004, 11:02 »
I am looking to become a Nuke ET, and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some tips.  I scored a 98 on the ASVAB and a 68 on the NAPT, do I have a good chance at being selected for ET?

jowlman

Re: How to become a Nuke ET?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2004, 11:50 »
The best way to get any job in the navy is to tell your recruiter to put in in your contract before you'll sign it. It's like dealing with a car salesman, they'll tell you there's nothing that they can do, but until you sign the contract you have all the power. Never forget that they can/will tell you anything,but if it isn't in the contract then it is worthless.

RCLCPO

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2004, 11:11 »
It isn't possible to get it written into your contract to be a particular flavor of Navy Nuke.  About week 4 of boot camp, all prospective nukes meet with a Nuclear Field Advisor.  During this interview, the NFA will discuss with you how you scored on the ASVAB, your transcripts, employment and hobbies, as well as find out what it is you'd like to do.  Based on this interview, you will be assigned to one of the 3 nuclear rates; however, keep in mind there is significant cross-training that happens to ensure everyone understands everyone elses job(s).

Also keep in mind the ratio of MM's to EM's to ET's is about 4:3:2, not counting ELTs.  Read the other posts on this particular Forum to learn more about what each of the ratings actually does in the power plant, and/or ask your local Navy Nuke.  Not sure who that is?  Ask your recruiter, or e-mail me with your location and I'll send you the contact information.

As a submarine nuke ET, I can describe what I've done over the past 20 years (both at sea and on shore), but I'm sure my biases would shine through in my descriptions of what the other submarine ratings do...

Nuke1_port@cnrc.navy.mil

agentblazkowicz

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2004, 11:54 »
I am a DEP member and I'm going into the nuke program. When I was at MEPS the man who set me up told me that I'm most likely looking at ET but that could change easily. Like he said, you can't be sent into a specific field until later on.

troycawley

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:58 »
I was a nuke ET (submarine)  I knew guys who had years of electronics troubleshooting/soldering experience and scored very high on their ASVABs & nuke tests who became MMs.  Meanwhile, a kid in my ET class had absolutely no practical experience--his parents had to sign a waiver to let him enlist!  He had his 18th birthday in power school.  There is no way to position yourself to be an ET, in my experience...I just got lucky.

s_Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2005, 12:42 »
Its all about the needs of the navy.  If the navy desides it neads more nucs then they are more willing to let you choose your rate before hand.  MM is the only rate that the navy will normally give away. 

I do know of one person that was given ET as a rate before he came in.  But he was a marine before had.  Which gave him a leg up.

Answer is smiple.  Just dont sign up untill they write it in you contract that you will be ET.

If you want to about how life is on a carrier just pm me.  I'll gladly show you why targets are the way to go. 

donthaveacurefor

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2005, 02:52 »
it also depends on how well you did on certain aspects of the ASVAB.
i wanted to be an ET, but i did well on the mechanical potrion of it, so i am now an MM

nadus9

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2005, 04:30 »
when you take the asvab, punt a few of the mechanical questions but make sure you still score in the high 90's, request it at boot camp, say a prayer, and light a candle....dont be a sub vol and dont come to the numnutz and you will be a-ok....

badger

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:05 »
In my bootcamp division, everyone had the same ASVAB scores. We also all put in for ET.
There were six of us.. this is how we were divided:

1 ET
2 EMs
3 MMs

My recruiter also told me that it was impossible to be contracted in as a specific rate because I refused to join without being assured of a rate. That being said, Im glad Im an EM and the Navy seemed to place us where we were best suited.

snak3y3z1001

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:45 »
Hey. Can anyone tell me whats does ET, EMS and MMS stand for and what exactly does that particular job do? Im currently a DEP and is in SECF. I just took the Nuke test today and im pretty sure that i passed. Which one of those works with computers?

shayne

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:37 »
Hey. Can anyone tell me whats does ET, EMS and MMS stand for and what exactly does that particular job do? Im currently a DEP and is in SECF. I just took the Nuke test today and im pretty sure that i passed. Which one of those works with computers?

Welcome snak3y3z1001,

Well your question has been asked many times before, read all these topics and use the search function.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4219.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3821.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3676.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4089.25.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,1737.0.html

Offline tevya

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2005, 01:32 »
you can have it guaranteed IF you can prove you really screwed up in a previous life!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?