Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 100K for Zone C Navy nukes :)

Author Topic: 100K for Zone C Navy nukes :)  (Read 12395 times)

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
100K for Zone C Navy nukes :)
« on: Oct 22, 2004, 08:48 »
This is not really a question but a statement.

I just went to a GMT on the new zone C and possible zone D bonuses.
For those who do not know what this is,  Zone C is from 10-16 years and zone D is 16-20 years.   

Apparantly zone C is about to be approved to run the cap of reenlistment up to $100,000.    That is right 100K!!!  This is an unreal amount of money.  They are pretty much targeting people that are getting out at their 10-12 year point. 

They are talking a bonus type scenerio for people from 16-20 years.  Each year about 12-15k but that is not approved.

Of course all of this is for 5-6 years of enlistment depending on your rank/rate.  Some NEC's cannot max out such as some surface rates.

This is a big carrot for those like myself with 33 days left until TLV.   Speaking of which, anyone know of any good job openings :)  I have been to alot of power plant websites, applied and have a few interviews set up, but I am keeping my options open.  This is unreal at how many jobs are available to ex-Navy Nukes.

Just figured I would let a few old timer nukes respond to 100K  :)

(As a side note,  I thought when I said about 5 years ago unless the bonus went up to 100k I would never reenlist again.   HMMMM  maybe I meant 200k?)

damad1

Re: 100K for Zone C Navy nukes :)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2004, 02:24 »
$100K over 6 years, plus your whopping military monthly pay, divided by your hours while at sea= approximately $4.00 an hour!

Oh yeah, I forgot benifits= $4.03 an hour!

Can't put a price on being available for things like your first child being born!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2004, 10:45 »
If it's anything like the bonuses were in my time, you'll only see $35k the first year after taxes.  The rest will be paid out at$20k per year, or $16k after taxes.
Considering that I got my "$20k" in 1982, I figure that your buying power with that $35k will be less than what I could buy with the $8000 check I got.
Check into the tax code to see if income averaging is still available.  If it isn't, you're going to give the government back a bigger chunk than they give you, because you'll be in the 33% federal tax bracket, and a correspondingly high state tax.
The real ripoff is if they withhold Social Security taxes.  Although all your lifetime income is used to calculate your retirement benefit, that one year will barely be a blip on the radar because the formula heavily weights the later years in averaging your earnings.  So, you'll pay a huge stack of cash to Social Security which will likely not increase your benefit at all since you will probably be at the max anyway.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2004, 10:43 »
If it's anything like the bonuses were in my time, you'll only see $35k the first year after taxes.  The rest will be paid out at$20k per year, or $16k after taxes.

I got my bonus for reenlisting in a designated combate zone (the Red Sea) in 1992. Later, the IRS decided ALL my anniversary payments would be tax-free!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2004, 01:14 »
kewl
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

sean.denny

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2004, 08:57 »
It's easy to sign on for that money, but if your already thinking about getting out there must be reasons.  I know mine and the money will not change those reasons.  The Navy is throwing money at some of their problems so that they don't have to deal with them.  My opinion is that I don't regret anything from my naval career, I love what the Navy was able to give me, but it is time to move on to new challenges.  I would prefer ones that can actually be solved.

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2004, 08:34 »
I agree.  There is only so much money can fix.  I love every bit of experience and education the Navy has provided me, but I am looking forward to getting out.  See you all in the civilian side soon!!!!
Nukeet1

Offline Ikesss

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2004, 12:47 »
I got out in 83 after 6. I've probably averaged !00K/year in the last 21 years, and have been able to do what I want to. One 100K bonus doesn't make up for all the BS. On my last check for 2 weeks, I think I paid more taxes then an E1 Nuke gets in a month.  Yet some will still be coerced into signing on the line.

ODiesel

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2004, 06:53 »
A few of us arent in it for JUST the money. I like what I do, reguardless if it puts me in a lower tax bracket...

-EM2 O'D
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2004, 06:55 by ODiesel »

Biestie

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:28 »
Wait 'til you get to a ship to say that SPU! :)

taterhead

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:12 »

LMAO

I will take the 100k at 10.

I have advanced pretty fast (CPO in 7).

I will retire at 40 and say goodbye to NP.

A nuke with a history degree, go figure...

kwicslvr

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:22 »
Yup, you said it.  We had a guy show up to the boat, immediately reenlisted, deployed 2 weeks later for 6 months.   He hated it after 3 months and wish he never reenlisted.

100k is nice and they are about 5 years to late though.  Over a 6 year period on the outside you could double that figure.  I liked what  did in the Navy also but I really got tired of being treated like a child when I was 30 years old.  That and I could double my income if I left the Navy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?