Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu School After RTC
honeypot

Author Topic: School After RTC  (Read 5744 times)

snak3y3z1001

School After RTC
« on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:30 »
I was talking to a Chief Petty Officer down in MEPS and he mentioned that if I make it to Nuke ill go to school for my first 2 years in the Navy. I would like to know if i will be a fulltime student. My parents are gettin some info from my Uncle and I have no clue if its true. He told me parents that you work for 10 hours a day and only get to study/learn for 2 hours. I would like to know if this is true. My Uncle is getting his info from a friend that claims to be ex-navy. He said it was so hard he had to drop out.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005, 01:46 by Roll Tide »

taterhead

Re: School Atfer RTC
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:38 »
Uh, well, that's the first time I have heard that particular rumor.

While the 2 year figure is rough (varies per rate and timing of classing up), you will definitely be in school full time.

The bulk (98%) of your day will be spent learning.  The max amount of "work" you will be expected to do will be "field day" (housekeeping) work.  You will be in class for about 8 hours per day, then expected to study a few hours in addition to that after school is out.

The rumor you heard from your dad's buddy is simply false.  Grossly false.

shayne

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2005, 08:00 »
Here is a good starting place for answers to your questions.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,1737.0.html

But expect to spend your first year and half to 2 years learning nuclear power.  Your entire days will be spent learning.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005, 05:42 by Shayne »

snak3y3z1001

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2005, 08:18 »
Thx for the help. Quick question. That blue jacket manual that somone mention in the other thread, is it that Sucess Accelerator book they give you?

shayne

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2005, 09:04 »
Not familiar with the Sucess Accelerator book, However the Blue Jacket Manual will be given to you at boot camp.  I'm sure you could go to a library and find one or buy one from ebay.

http://www.news.navy.mil/media/allhands/flash/AH200206/feature2.html

jeepgirl1

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 11:00 »
Thx for the help. Quick question. That blue jacket manual that somone mention in the other thread, is it that Sucess Accelerator book they give you?

No, the Success Accelerator is like a Cliff's Note version of the BJM.  As Shayne has already mentioned, you get one when you head to RTC.  However, if you're slightly impatient like myself ;), head over to ebay or amazon and pick up a used copy.  I got mine for about $10 off of ebay.  Not sure what edition they're using currently, but my recruiter has the Centennial Edition in his office so that's the one I bought.   

shayne

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:13 »
It is one of the few books I have left from the Navy.  I wish I could find an electronic version of it, so I could sell my hard copy on ebay.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2005, 02:26 by Shayne »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?