Facility & Company Information > Zion

Zion

<< < (7/10) > >>

carlschmarl2:
Hello,

New guy here. I currently work at Ginna as a guard (Wackenthut). The fiance is getting relocated to Milwaukee WI for work. Someone mentioned that I should look into Zion. Does anyone know if they are hiring guards? Also, does anyone know if I am able to work as a guard while living in another state? I know in NY that would be almost impossible as you have to have a NYS CCW permit. But I know both WI and IL don't have CCW...

Any help? Someone point me in the right direction to a website or to a contact number?!

Thanks.

Carl

Dave Warren:

--- Quote from: carlschmarl2 on Jan 04, 2009, 02:46 ---Hello,

Any help? Someone point me in the right direction to a website or to a contact number?!

Thanks.

Carl

--- End quote ---

I don't think you would have a problem living with living in Cheeseland and working at Zion.
30% or more of the people that were house at Zion lived in Wisconsin.
You can contact Everett Chretien at the Oak Ridge Office at 865-481-8285 and he may have some info for you.

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: carlschmarl2 on Jan 04, 2009, 02:46 ---

--- End quote ---

1-800-BLAGOEVICH  ? ;)

atomicrod:
As several people on this thread have noted, the conditions that justified Zion's closure in 1998 have changed quite a bit. License extensions have been proven to be acceptable, natural gas prices are about 2-4 times higher, nuclear plant operators have learned how to achieve high capacity factors, and electricity prices in Northern Illinois have gone up considerably.

For all of those reasons, several people in the area near Zion have begun serious questioning. They want to more fully understand why Exelon seems to be in a hurry to destroy (oops - decommission) the plant. They do not quite understand the math - in several public statements, Exelon has said that it might cost $1.5 - $2 billion and take 2-3 years to restore the plant. The company has stated that it also does not make economic sense to make that investment.

Using some rough, back of the envelop computations about the cost to operate - once the initial capital outlay has been invested - and the cost of power from natural gas sufficient to cover the output of the two reactor facility, it appears to me that it might generate $700 million to $1 billion per year in free cash flow. That would seem to provide ample opportunity to pay back the investment in a short period of time.

What I need from nuke workers is more information about the real status of the plant and what might be needed to get it running again. I recognize the challenge of getting back an operating license once it has been given up; as near as I can tell, this would be a groundbreaking effort that has never been done before.

One of the really talented nuclear plant operating companies with expansionary tendencies (Entergy, FPL, Dominion, Duke, or Southern) could make a go out of Zion and from what my local area source tell me, they would find some very welcoming people in the area.

Rod Adams
Publisher, Atomic Insights
Host and producer, The Atomic Show Podcast
Founder, Adams Atomic Engines, Inc.

slick1:
I was recently told that site was hoping to be proceeding forward twords D&D around middle of 2010. Also, last month I heard that Energy Solutions was looking for a few internal Rad Techs to join the site crew.

Zion is also mentioned in today's 2/19/2010 Barrons artical.  Source of full artical at end. -Slick

THIS MORNING, STEVE CREAMER, chairman and chief executive officer of EnergySolutions (Ticker: ES), announced his resignation from both positions, effective immediately.
This follows the resignation of Philip Strawbridge, formerly the chief financial officer, in December 2009.
(content removal)

As a result, we are downgrading the shares of EnergySolutions to Underperform (from Outperform) for several reasons, including: (1) concerns about fourth-quarter results; (2) uncertainty about management's guidance for 2010, given that both the CFO and CEO are new to their positions and may take an ultra-conservative view; (3) uncertainty about the timing and success of the Zion decommissioning contract; and (4) uncertainty about the future strategy of EnergySolutions.

(content removal)

We expect the shares to be weak as investors attempt to understand Mr. Creamer's resignation, particularly the timing. We believe that management's guidance for 2010 and broader comments about Zion and the longer-term strategy will be the catalyst.

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB126653955393448077.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version