Palisades

Above Average
18 (32.1%)
Average
14 (25%)
Below Average
24 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Palisades  (Read 125216 times)

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
Re: Palisades
« Reply #50 on: Apr 20, 2006, 03:53 »
We've heard other rumors in addition to the below.  I don't want to print any rumors here.  I'm sure we'll get the full story soon.

NMC UPDATE

NRC team sent to Palisades following containment incident

April 20, 2006

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has sent a four-person special investigation team to Palisades to evaluate an incident that occurred in containment early Wednesday morning. Palisades is in the 19th day of a refueling and maintenance outage.

The incident, which occurred following placement of the in-core transfer cask into the flooded reactor cavity, involved a cask liner that floated to the surface of the pool as workers were retrieving the liner rigging. The liner contained used in-core detectors from previous outages. High dose rates of radiation occurred when the liner broke the surface of the water for a few seconds.

Six workers immediately evacuated the 649-foot elevation of containment when directed by supervisors and Radiation Protection personnel. Management also notified the NRC of the event.

After breaking the water surface, the liner sank back to the bottom of the reactor cavity—landing upright next to the transfer cask. Despite the liner’s surfacing, the event did not cause a release of airborne contamination and individual dose readings following the event were well below dose alarm set points—and the 5,000 millirem annual federal limit for radiation workers.

The highest electronic dose reading recorded by a worker following the event was 41 millirem, with about 34 millirem due to the event.

The average person receives about 360 millirem of radiation annually from natural and man-made background radiation, while the average nuclear worker receives about 670 millirem of radiation per year.

An incident response team, with NMC fleet support, has been formed at Palisades and is in the process of analyzing facts and data from the incident. A limited amount of work is being done in containment until further notice.

Offline Meltdown

• Moderate User
  • Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?             $upporting Member
« Reply #51 on: Sep 17, 2007, 03:59 »
How's that Iodine thing working up there? Strange and viscious rumors are making their way South about 12 hour shifts followed by 4-5 hr cleanup - body count ordeals every day. Others with failed fuel are wondering...
Meltdown

"I know that there is an eye that watches all of us. There is a judgment that weighs everything we do. And before this great force, which is greater than any government, I stand in awe and I kneel in respect." L. Cohen

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #52 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:25 »

Shutdown Palisades 9/9/07...1R19...35 days...four leaking fuel assemblies...noble gas/iodine situation has challenged mechanical/administrative systems of control.

In addition, Cs137/Co58, have solid presence in body count data.

Best industry example of how to implement controls for noble gas/iodine situation with large outage worker population (PCM 2s, PM 7s, Canberra Fastscan) needed.

Generally restricting access at 100 nCi I131 by Fastscan. Pull upper internals (UGS) tonight followed by fuel offload and core barrel lift. Containment steady at 2 DAC Iodine.

Understand Indian Point has a red tag/green tag system that handles traffic control in situations like this. Description would be appreciated.

Need techs. $22/$95. Just given permission to work 7/12s. Probably to mid Oct. Atlantic Group.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2007, 10:27 by wlrun3 »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #53 on: Sep 18, 2007, 03:49 »

Shutdown Palisades 9/9/07...1R19...35 days...four leaking fuel assemblies...noble gas/iodine situation has challenged mechanical/administrative systems of control.

In addition, Cs137/Co58, have solid presence in body count data.

Best industry example of how to implement controls for noble gas/iodine situation with large outage worker population (PCM 2s, PM 7s, Canberra Fastscan) needed.

Generally restricting access at 100 nCi I131 by Fastscan. Pull upper internals (UGS) tonight followed by fuel offload and core barrel lift. Containment steady at 2 DAC Iodine.

Understand Indian Point has a red tag/green tag system that handles traffic control in situations like this. Description would be appreciated.

Need techs. $22/$95. Just given permission to work 7/12s. Probably to mid Oct. Atlantic Group.

The red tag/green tag is an Entergy fleet procedure - have the VY Rp Supv access it, or he can call VY and we can send it. You're part of the fleet now -  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #54 on: Sep 20, 2007, 07:37 »
OK, a few more days have gone by, how is the outage going now - things settling down?  :-\
Hopefully after the initial panic mode, everything has been planned as far as getting folks out of the RCA....
Heard that a S/G HEPA got hooked up backwards....that doesn't sound good. :P

Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Melrose

« Reply #55 on: Sep 20, 2007, 08:01 »
Anybody have more substantial information than "heard", regarding the worker uptake?

Thanks

Offline Luscious

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #56 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:20 »
Which one? The Beater said it best a while ago, no place to apprentice, no place for softies. :D

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #57 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:50 »
.......and not a place to go if you believe in Regulatory Compliance.

You heard of the "Cowboy HP", they got their own power plant, it's name is Palisades.
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #58 on: Sep 22, 2007, 10:40 »

Moving fuel, core barrel out soon, ec/sludge nearing end, brought on body count trailer, installed three new showers, reconfigured ventilation.

Schedule relatively intact. All is well.

Thankyou for all the replies.

Offline perdeim

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #59 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:21 »
The worst organized ,and worst planned outage on record .The O.c.c. was told about problems with leaky fuel bundles at Prairie Island , so they should think about limiting work to just the S/G crew when they pop the manway . Oh no not here get er done , well they paid in the long run like P. I. , everyone in the body counter . One body counter and one shower , oh yeah we are all happy workers ,some working 18 - 20 hours of work ,the one crew at night doesnt know who is coming the next day. 3 or 4 people a day dropping from the heat , no safety standdowns , get er done the heat stress stay time is stay until you get dragged out only a few going to the hospital a day. But hey its all good in the O.C.C.  they dont go in, push , push  at all costs . It will all get better when they shut the doors to CTMT , but hey it will be better next outage , because no one will show up . Other than that come an help them , good luck watch your own safety because they wont .
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2007, 11:32 by perdeim »

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Sep 23, 2007, 01:40 »
A very accurate and correct account of the 1st 2 weeks of the outage.  8)

shane3106

« Reply #61 on: Sep 25, 2007, 09:58 »
Well this is true, no matter what it's hotter than all can be in containment. :'( I guess we are about 58 hours behind, but the magic pencil will take care of that  :o

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #62 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:41 »
But hey its all good in the O.C.C.  they dont go in, push , push  at all costs .

Reminds me of a manager I use to work for (not at Palisades). You walked into his office and his desk was situated so that he faced you when you walked in. Not the usual office cube. Behind him was a sign, about 2' x3' , hand lettered and framed in a nice wooden frame, that read "No job is too big for the man who does not have to do it."

Just remember: Their bonus is not based on your job satisfaction....
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #63 on: Sep 26, 2007, 09:36 »
and that is the sad part, no bonus at Palisades.

But 3K next door at DC Cook (good decision Wayne 8)).

Offline Luscious

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #64 on: Oct 01, 2007, 12:28 »
On Record? :o Who has these records? ::) Are there any that aren't on record? :-X I would like to see these records. ;)

The worst organized ,and worst planned outage on record .

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #65 on: Oct 05, 2007, 02:43 »
Well after the Gas Chamber, someone decided to take a dip in the cavity (probably to relieve heat stress, LOL). The plant won't let people go to other plants like Pharaoh and the Ten Commandments.  (LET MY PEOPLE GO! sayeth the Lord) Oh yeah, plus we're losing and finding fuel particles.  Anybody wanna add on here?
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #66 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:45 »
Well after the Gas Chamber, someone decided to take a dip in the cavity (probably to relieve heat stress, LOL). The plant won't let people go to other plants like Pharaoh and the Ten Commandments.  (LET MY PEOPLE GO! sayeth the Lord) Oh yeah, plus we're losing and finding fuel particles.  Anybody wanna add on here?
I read the condition report on the swim - good thing life jackets are required....we just had to remove all wire brushes and wire wheels from the plant because Palisades had wire brush debris visible in their fuel....gotta love a well planned and effective response to a problem.

be glad it ain't deep winter yet - tho it might be before you get out - might not take a miracle to walk on water when you leave... ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #67 on: Oct 07, 2007, 06:43 »
Sort of makes you wonder if Entergy buying Palisades was a smart move????

Asa1

« Reply #68 on: Oct 10, 2007, 08:10 »
380 million for a 800 mwe plant running thru 2031? Of course it was a smart move. On another note, this outage has illustrated a good point at the Palace.........bring your A game or stay home.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Oct 10, 2007, 08:44 »
You dont need your "A game" for a below average nuclear facility.

Your RPM turnover rate is almost as bad a your contract tech returnee rate.

The worst part, some good people there. Good Luck! 8)

Offline Meltdown

• Moderate User
  • Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?             $upporting Member
« Reply #70 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:40 »
Wow - lots of useful info here. Now we get to see if forewarned is truly forearmed. Or if a stitch in time saves nine, or if you can't put the cow back in the barn after...

Meltdown

"I know that there is an eye that watches all of us. There is a judgment that weighs everything we do. And before this great force, which is greater than any government, I stand in awe and I kneel in respect." L. Cohen

justatech

« Reply #71 on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:06 »
On another note, this outage has illustrated a good point at the Palace.........bring your A game or stay home.

WOW....Asa....for a house tech give some consideration to those who have not been there before but are there to support your outage now. There is a vast level of skills and experience amoung the techs.........are you telling techs that if they are not up to the "A" standard..............don't show up? 

Even the most experienced techs would like to have a well planned outage............

No wonder the returnee rate is down.....................
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 11:30 by justatech »

inyourface

« Reply #72 on: Oct 13, 2007, 12:44 »
thank you justatech.  i was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it.

Offline Luscious

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #73 on: Oct 13, 2007, 04:45 »
 ??? Support the outage by surfing the net is not an 'A" game, telling stories about places where one's feet have never been is not an 'A' game or supporting the outage for that matter. ;)

I agree bring the "A" game or stay home! ;)

As for regulatory compliance there is a wide chasm between regulatory compliance and 'excellence', and the Palace has a way to go to get to excellence. Hiring some "A" game techs would be a step in the right direction. ;D

Want to work for a bonus....sign onto the bonus plan, no plan=no bonus. :P

On The Road

« Reply #74 on: Oct 13, 2007, 07:03 »
As far as I'm concerned: Most of us brought our "A" game. Only the strong survived  8) and some of the Houdini's. The weak went home!!! :'( 

It has been a great Outage....I haven't been BEAT this much in a long time though, but it's good for you every now and then so you don't get too SOFT!!!

Thanks Beater The Great!!!!!!!!  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?