Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rent a tech Union debate

Poll

Would You support a nationwide IBEW Union, and sign a card?

Yes
102 (52.3%)
No
93 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Rent a tech Union debate  (Read 419537 times)

jjordan

Re: Rent a tech Union debate
« Reply #150 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:30 »
So how do we know that what you are saying JJ isn’t misinformation?  Just because you say it’s so, it is?
Well, when I post them, you all can al be the judge. first off, I don't believe everything either, but it doesn't take a real rocket scientist to seperate the fact from fiction. It is all researchable here on the internet, but most is just common sense. I'm glad to see everyone is posting, both pro and con. SlogGlo likes it too, I can tell. Can everyone understand what he is saying, or dew eye knead to iturpurt four yew? ;)
JJ
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 10:33 by JJordan »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #151 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:40 »
Why not take a poll for those who want a union and would sign an intent card versus those who do not want a union. Simple. Agree to disagree! May be even add a link to those who want to contact a union representative. Anything I missed?

This is not a bad idea.  Another would be to organize a central meeting place for those who are serious about getting something started or at least talk about it to meet after the next season of outages.  Maybe a couple of regional type places.  Seems like we all do a fair amount of traveling and those who are serious about this would make a trip if it was within' a reasonable distance (few hundred miles or less).  It is always easy and cheap to get to Vegas for a couple of days, particularly in the off season.  I am currently not interested in the union but I am also not so close minded to think that I don't know everything and might be interested in a get together to meet some of my peers, have a good time and throw ideas around.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #152 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:45 »
  Sloglow likes it too, I can tell. Can everyone understand what he is saying, or dew eye knead to iturpurt four yew? ;)
JJ

When I first started looking at this web site I have to admit that I found his writings to be a bit frustrating, now strange as it may be I find it quite amusing.  I have to have respect for someone that sticks to something for that long because it just can't be easy to type like that all of the time...or then again...maybe it's for real?!  If that's the case, then I am sorry man...when did the accident happen?  Or is this what we can all look forward to after many years of exposure...I'm getting scared now.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

jjordan

« Reply #153 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:16 »
Itz haw yew tock iffen yur frum Picksberg! ;)
 JJ
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 10:35 by JJordan »

jjordan

« Reply #154 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:25 »
   ...from a management perspective, what will the outage contract rp environment look like in the next ten years...

It's getting harder every outage! There are fewer and fewer techs. Lots are having health issues, and some are waking up dead. check the fallen list here. It's getting pretty long. SloGlo and I have a lot of friends that have made that list, as I'll bet that everyone that reads this, knows a few. The foreign techs are helping a little, but not without challenges. We are trying to staff a few more Jr's, and hope they make Sr and return for us, but there's no garuntee. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
JJ

jjordan

Union Card
« Reply #155 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:08 »
At the request of shawneeman, here it is! Would you sign a card? Remember the IBEW would like 65% or better to insure a win, but ony 30% is required to pettition the NLRB. 8)
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #156 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:11 »
Why not take a poll for those who want a union and would sign an intent card versus those who do not want a union.
Ok I started the poll. Don't forget to vote!
JJ :-*

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #157 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:23 »
   ...from a management perspective, what will the outage contract rp environment look like in the next ten years...

there are quite a few different scenarios whose play will affect the contract rp envirionment:

1) in ten years there may be new power plants coming on line.  these should suck road techs into house positions.
2) in ten years, a lot of the current experienced 3.1 techs will be on the porch at the retirement home.
3) in ten  years most of the current jr techs will have crossed the time line into the 3.1 realm, minus those who have departed the ranks of meter swingers for management or burger flipping.
4) in ten years there should be schooling more prevalent for hp tech training.  will education become more equivalent to time spent for 3.1?  axe your local ansi rep.
5) in ten years there should be more jobs created in the nuclear fuel cycle, from mining to reprocessing/disposal.  this too could deplete the road tech ranks.
6) in ten years there should be more stringent requirements for work in secure sites.  this may inhibit manpower growth.
7) there are some other scenarios, however i have been asked not to post some of these so i do not feel that i can go into them.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 11:31 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Union Card
« Reply #158 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:39 »
would my 1500 card get grandfathered in?

jjordan

« Reply #159 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:45 »
Sure SloGlo, if you still have it.We are at 50% wonder who the 2 dissenters are? I'm appointing you shop steward. Management won't have a clue as to what you are saying!
JJ

illegalsmile

« Reply #160 on: Jan 12, 2007, 12:02 »
Sure SloGlo, if you still have it.We are at 50% wonder who the 2 dissenters are? I'm appointing you shop steward. Management won't have a clue as to what you are saying!
JJ

but neither would we

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #161 on: Jan 12, 2007, 12:50 »
Alright I will throw this out there. Take it easy on me though.  If we dont need a union why do we need a company to represent us?  I havent heard many complaints about Diablo Canyon. 
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2007, 01:28 by biloxoi blues »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #162 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:06 »
biloxoi blues.... maybe ya'd better run da diablo canyon staffing scenario.  although i tink i know watt it is, i never worked their 'n may knot understand it kerreckly.

alphadude

« Reply #163 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:59 »
well you dont need a company to represent you if you can post the bond and the employer will take you as a 1099 type. the bond insurance for techs runs about 2k or more a year (rates drop as your working time under a bond increases) each company (nuke) asks for a different bonding rate so you call your agent and he adjust the premium. HOWEVER it is not common practice for utilities to accept 1099 HP techs- its has been done but not too often. you get paid a straight wage (bid rate per hour) no ot or perdiem rates apply its the bid rate (eg for techs about $36 to $50 an hour is about right) PAY your taxes every quarter or you will be talking 1 on 1 with the IRS.  You do get a lot of deductions- (no perdiem but deductions)  which are housing, business phone, transportation, office in house (audit point big time) etc. it has its advantages.. you get to select your own insurance, 401k, pay your own Soc. Security, Medicare, State and Federal Taxes and this SHALL be done every quarter.. SOOO its a lot of fun.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #164 on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:13 »

...is there the potential for future regulatory relief induced reductions...

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #165 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:32 »
The reason I stated Diablo Canyon, and someone tell me if Im wrong or right, is that there is no Bartlett or Atlantic Group, etc.   And because of this Diablo has the highest payrate per hour (except wolfcreek, which by the way will go back to normal rates next outage)  Does Diablo have a permanent recruiter?  We all talk about union taking money out of our pockets and freedom of choices how bout the companies we work for dont they skim off the top. Does anyone really know how much the companies skim off the top?  Thanks for the info alphadude.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #166 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:06 »

...I feel we as rct's are segragated enough by not all sites accepting our DOE Core Certifications and not all sites requiring NEU testing proceedure and those with the claim that people taking the NRRPT without putting the required time in making it non ligament in some peoples ...

...not to worry my friend...big changes coming...

jjordan

« Reply #167 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:52 »
George, you don't have to join, but it would be in your best interest. Things could be so much better with unity, and a set of fair rules that you decide. Oh yes, and a contract that they can't change at will, like they do their promises!
JJ

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #168 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:58 »
 :)  Care to elaborate  :)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #169 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:42 »
The reason I stated Diablo Canyon, and someone tell me if Im wrong or right, is that there is no Bartlett or Atlantic Group, etc.   And because of this Diablo has the highest payrate per hour (except wolfcreek, which by the way will go back to normal rates next outage)  Does Diablo have a permanent recruiter?  We all talk about union taking money out of our pockets and freedom of choices how bout the companies we work for dont they skim off the top. Does anyone really know how much the companies skim off the top?  Thanks for the info alphadude.

who signs yer check?  dew they pay area consistent per diem?  is the hourly rate on par with house pay?  what insurance company supplies the med/dental/death/ etc. benefits and is it included or taken out of your pay?  is diablo canyon a union shop or open?  is per diem paid on a scheduled day off?  an unscheduled day off?  what travel pay in and out is offered? 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #170 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:44 »
   ...is there the potential for future regulatory relief induced reductions...

oh, that hertz!  all this roflmao is gonna leave bruises. ;)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #171 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:50 »
   ...I feel we as rct's are segragated enough by not all sites accepting our DOE Core Certifications and not all sites requiring NEU testing proceedure and those with the claim that people taking the NRRPT without putting the required time in making it non ligament in some peoples ...

yinz alluding to a conquered body that was already divided?  ain't dis da nature of da biz? 

youngrv

« Reply #172 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:58 »
Has anyone looked into the legal issues surrounding formation of a union.  Check the NLRB web site.  It is my understanding that you would need a collective bargaining agreement with each utility.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #173 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:23 »
its starting to sound like the smart questions are gitting axed this time around. 

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #174 on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:39 »
Has anyone looked into the legal issues surrounding formation of a union.  Check the NLRB web site.  It is my understanding that you would need a collective bargaining agreement with each utility.
Not true - the utility is not the employer - big Blue or the A team are the employer. The contract would be with the employer. That employer would then be obligated to include contract provisions within their contract with the utility as necessary. Craft contractor companies like Stone & Webster, Bechtel, etc do this all the time. They even have the added problem of having to deal with multiple local craft unions, although local building and trades councils usually negotiate common agreements for work.
The utilites don't give a R/A what the contractor has for union / non union - they evaluate based upon cost, reliability, ability to complete the job, etc.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?