Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "Mae West Curve" honeypot

Author Topic: "Mae West Curve"  (Read 17547 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
"Mae West Curve"
« on: Jan 14, 2004, 11:20 »
Can someone tell me the real name of the thumb-rule that says fission products tend to be more common with atomic weights around 90 (Xenon, etc) and 130 (Iodine, Cesium, etc).

I have always thought it was called the "Mae West Curve", but am drawing a blank when I try to do a web search.

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: "Mae West Curve"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2004, 11:37 »
The fission product yield varies with parent nuclide of concern. U-235 does have the characteristics you have stated. This may be useful, though I found parts of the site too general and others beyond the scope.

http://t2.lanl.gov/tour/sch007.html
http://t2.lanl.gov/publications/publications.html
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:14 »
Thanks for the help!

+ Karma!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

kwicslvr

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 06:04 »
I believe it is called the Fission Yield Curve for U-235

astronuke

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:01 »
When providing training for mixed gender groups, I used the more politically correct term for the curve: the two humped camel curve. 

moke

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2004, 04:14 »
As you now know the two Fission Product yield from thermal fission of U-235 are that of Krypton-90 and Iodine 137 that represent the nipples indicating the highest yeild during the fission process.

Kr-90 decays to the nasty 2.2 MEV Sr/Y-90 component and the Iodine includes the 662 Kev peak representing Cs-137.

May West reminds some of San Onofre Two and Three! Still standing tall and firm! ::)

Moke

DrNucleus

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2005, 04:07 »
Yeah, now how many of us (besides this old fart) remember Mae West? She said, 'I used to be Snow White but then I drifted."

Guess we can call it the Dolly Parton or Pam Anderson curve now. Maybe not here in CA where everything is politically correct.

Be well and choose to be happy,
Ellsworth Weaver

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?