Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TVA NSGPO Class at SQN honeypot

Author Topic: TVA NSGPO Class at SQN  (Read 10295 times)

TN_LELT

TVA NSGPO Class at SQN
« on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:37 »
Does anyone have any information as to when the SGPO class at SQN is scheduled to start? 

Fermi2

Re: TVA NSGPO Class at SQN
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:17 »
Step One: Pass POSS Test....

TN_LELT

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:25 »
I have already passed the POSS test with TVA from a previous opening that was posted for a hydro facility.  On my score results it said that I had passed for all of the programs, including NSGPO.  I called TVA employment services when the NSGPO posting came up, and they said that my prior scores would be applied to this posting as well. 

I realize that there are many steps (and hurdles) still awaiting me in this process, provided that I even get selected for an interview.  I was just curious as to when the course was scheduled to commence.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:52 »
Do you live within 60 miles of the plant?

TN_LELT

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2010, 05:16 »
Unfortunately, I am about 95 miles away.  I was living in the Chattanooga area going to graduate school at UTC for a while when I got out of the Navy, hoping that a job in operations at Sequoyah would get posted up on TVA's bid board while I was there.  When that didn't happen and I needed to get back to work, I took job that allowed me to stay in the nuclear industry and remain in TN.  This required me to move a little further north. 

Since then, I have been keeping my eyes on the TVA bid board continuing to hope for the opportunity to get in with TVA, as I really want to get back into nuclear power and I have very strong ties to the Chattanooga area.  My lease on the house I am renting up here is up in January, which is why I was curious as to when the class begins.  Just trying to do some planning and set my self up if things do (or don't) work out.  I don't think it ever hurts to be overprepared.

Thank you very much for your feedback and interest thus far. 

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2010, 07:36 »
Don't confude my answering with being at all interested.

You do realize people who have residence within 60 miles of the plant get preference right?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2010, 07:45 »
He just meant your interest in the thread, not in him as an employee.  If you answer it is assumed there was some degree of interest.  It's not cool to chide people for being polite. 

jnsp2007

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:17 »
I was told that it should start sometime around February, but it all depended on how long it takes for everyone that is going to be in the class to get badged. I was told this by a recruiter at the COC and an HR person at SQN. I got my invitation to test today so I'm going to start studying tomorrow! I will be taking the POSS on November 1st!

co60slr

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:24 »

You do realize people who have residence within 60 miles of the plant get preference right?
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+confude&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:53 »

TN_LELT....don't get discouraged by Broadzilla and his unpleasant demeaner.  He is that way to all ex-navy folks.

There are folks on this site that will help you.  Unfortunately, more and more of them are leaving every day.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

TN_LELT

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:09 »
I was told that it should start sometime around February, but it all depended on how long it takes for everyone that is going to be in the class to get badged. I was told this by a recruiter at the COC and an HR person at SQN. I got my invitation to test today so I'm going to start studying tomorrow! I will be taking the POSS on November 1st!

Thanks for the information.  Congratulations on being selected for the POSS and good luck!  If I have one piece of advice (which is reiterated on this site many times) prepare yourself to work quickly.  The problems are very easy but the time is very limited.

Hope our paths will cross around February.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 09:44 by TN_LELT »

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2010, 11:46 »
I meant interest in the thread. When he becomes TVA he'll find I might be the most helpful person he'll find. I could care less if he's an Ex T Baller or not. I virtually adopt every employee that comes to Operations.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2010, 11:49 »
Unfortunately all the people who gave the best advice and really knew what they were talking about have left. What you're getting now is the 3rd or 4th String.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2010, 06:34 »
Someday you are going to insult the wrong person.  I'd love to be there.

jnsp2007

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2010, 12:58 »
Thanks for the information.  Congratulations on being selected for the POSS and good luck!  If I have one piece of advice (which is reiterated on this site many times) prepare yourself to work quickly.  The problems are very easy but the time is very limited.

Hope our paths will cross around February.  Good Luck!

Your welcome. I hope our paths cross as well. I admit that I am intimidated by the applicants with the higher degrees. I do not actually have my degree yet. At the end of this semester I will have 96 credits, so I am hoping that combined with the industry experience that I have (10 outages including 1 at SQN), and the internship with TVA that I am doing will be enough to make it to the interview list. My internship is at the COC, and although I am miserable there, I am not stupid enough to turn down experience with the company that I know I want a career with. I do not let it effect my work performance, but I have had a really hard time adjusting to the corporate environment and adjusting to the dreaded five 8's! Hopefully I can get back in a plant before I have lost my sanity in my cubical!
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 08:49 by jnsp2007 »

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2010, 06:05 »
I was an intern at COC for River Ops prior to hiring in as an AUO.  I didn't have my degree when I applied for the position, but I was finished by the time the class actually started.  FYI my degree is from Chattanooga State, and it is a two year degree.  If you have 96 college credits you should be in good shape.  The minimum requirements are listed on the website, if I recall correctly it includes some chemistry or physics and some math.

Good luck to you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?