Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Weekends honeypot

Author Topic: Weekends  (Read 4930 times)

mattlaf_9

Weekends
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:24 »
I'm leaving 20070306 for bootcamp.  I was told that 'A' School is set up pretty much like a normal college.  Does that mean we get the weekends off??  If some friends come down during the summer would I be able to spend the weekend [and if possible more than that] with them??

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Weekends
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:50 »
Okay, let's start with the fact that this is still a civilian forum.  Dates in the format 20070306, are hard for us sand crabs to read.
Second, the military does not write dates like that either.  You'll either write 06Mar2007 or something similar.
Last, and most importantly, NOTHING in the Navy is just like anything that is not in the Navy.  Therefore the statement that "A" school is pretty much like normal college is not completely accurate.  College students mostly do not wear uniforms, get inspected in those uniforms, have barracks inspections, clean the floors and toilets in the school, start classes at 7 a. m. or stand fire and security type watches at all hours of the night (Christmas and weekends included).  You may have no classes scheduled on weekends, but that doesn't mean that your time will be your own.  Civilian visitors will almost certainly be prohibited from your quarters at certain times.  You will not be allowed to entertain members of the opposite sex in your room during most - if not all - hours. 

However, if a weekend happens along when you have no duty day, and you are otherwise unencumbered by your military obligations (change of command ceremonies and stuff like that are almost always held on Saturdays, and attendance is mandatory for all hands), you will mostly have liberty.  When you are on liberty, you may go out into town and visit your friends at a hotel, maybe bring them back for a short tour of your base, have meals with them, drink (if you are old enough) and party in the bars til ungodly hours, and pretty much behave as if you were a real human being.
My advice is to get your duty schedule and check if your are going to be free for a particular weekend before you invite anyone.  Still, the only way to be sure that you will be totally free on any given weekend is to be on leave.  Leaves are rarely cancelled unless an emergency comes up, but school commands almost never grant leave to students.
Get boot camp behind you before you start looking beyond that.  You will learn the specific rules of each command as soon as you get there.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:03 »
What a crab,take a chill-pill B/C
Call Before You Dig!

navytwinmom

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:31 »
My sons are in A school right now...weekends are not your own to do as you please. Sunday is the day before an teaching day so you have study to do...depending on your grades and such it could be as long a 5 hours. Fridays they tend to get out of school around 4:00 and then have study time. It is nothing like college. I will send you a PM with their email addresses they would be happy to talk to you.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:10 »
Let me show you a SUPERB post that pretty much says it all.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10123.msg53131.html#msg53131

Mike

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:30 »
Let me show you a SUPERB post that pretty much says it all.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10123.msg53131.html#msg53131

Mike

Wow! Is the new gentler kinder Broadzilla?  ;D

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:40 »
Marlin,

I agree, when I first talked to broadzilla I got a pretty harsh lesson...On little things but it straightened me real quick...but lately gona soft...hmm wonder why? haha

Mattlaf,
Anyways about the weekends.....Im in Power school and usually friday night and saturday we have to ourselves...BUT, it highly depends on your hours and ur success in school...dont plan on Sunday being yours....I enjoy my friday and saturday with my friends if I am comfortable with my knowledge, and sunday is dedicated to laundry, cleaning, and im usually at school aroun 1430 until later in the evening....best of luck to you....if you have anymore questions about it here I should be able to help you more than most people on the forum due to the fact that most haven't been here in years...thanks

Dennis

redimsok

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:12 »
Thats the biggest thing, it depends on how you're doing in school. Your study hours can range from 35-5 (35 hours a week and at least 5 hours a day sun-mon) to vols (no mandatory study). it depends on your grades, your chief, your instructors, and how your class as a whole is doing. Most people don't ever see vols but personally i haven't been to school on a sunday in about 4 months, i get my homework done friday and don't come back til monday. Thats not the norm though, expect to have friday and saturday off and study sunday

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?