Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What to expect after A school

Author Topic: What to expect after A school  (Read 9214 times)

tommyg

What to expect after A school
« on: Jul 10, 2007, 03:55 »
What is the true real life of a Navy nuke? What is the typical day like? Is there any free time? Are you segregated from the whole ship? Do you see daylight?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: What to expect after A school
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2007, 04:14 »
Duck. Here comes BZ.

Better yet, do a pre-emptive search of the site and you will be absolutely flooded with more information than you could possibly imagine. You will probably get the answers to those questions and some you have not thought of yet. Look for the little magnifying glass and the search button, type in a few keywords and go to town.

And welcome to NukeWorker.com.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

tommyg

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2007, 11:11 »
i have read every post. any information from new nukes. everything seems like it from the seventies or eighties... or even nineties... anything current would be appreciated.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2007, 11:45 »
there is plenty out there from newer guys.

tommyg

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2007, 02:29 »
no... it is from cocky ass people... you are not better than me... give me the real deal... why such attitude... i am in the same place as you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2007, 07:20 »
Apparently you are not in the same place as the people here, and the attitude seems to be all yours. We try to keep this a friendly place with a little 'tough love' thrown in. There is plenty of information from people currently in the pipeline and you can't get much more current than that. You are more than welcome to take advantage of the information on the site but if you don't like what you find you are also welcome to go seek your information elsewhere.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Moparmaniac

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2007, 12:27 »
i have read every post. any information from new nukes. everything seems like it from the seventies or eighties... or even nineties... anything current would be appreciated.

You haven't read them all in the 28 minutes online since you registered.  Read the topics, use the search feature, prove yourself able to be a real nuke and do your own work.  If it's not answered after those hours of searching then come back here with your SPECIFIC unanswered question.

By the way, here's a great place to start:   http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10121.0.html

By the way, if you want to actually make it through nuke school then the first thing you might want to leave at home is your attitude!  It's much easier to leave it behind than have it removed by someone else.   :P
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2007, 12:29 by Moparmaniac »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2007, 12:37 »
Don't make me regulate.

Everyone chill.

Tommy,

PM me and we can address your concerns privately.

R/

Jason
Sr. Moderator

Rad Sponge

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2007, 12:38 »
sorry tommy,...after you pull 937 days underway on nuclear power inside a 1096 day span you will have begun the trip to being in the same place as me,....

Holy Snikeys's Batman, what the heck were you doing?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2007, 01:07 »
no... it is from cocky ass people... you are not better than me... give me the real deal... why such attitude... i am in the same place as you
They/I are/am not trying to be mean or “cocky” the comments made on this board generally reflect the personality of the naval nuclear community. If you are not prepared to be treaded like dirt for the next two-three years of your life you may want to consider other career choices. Other wise when you crack under the pressure you will end up an empty billet unable to stand watch or worse causing other people to stand “suicide” watch until they ship you off the boat. This is a hard life and until you prove yourself (graduating the pipeline is not nearly the beginning) be prepared to not be though of as an
equal.

Now in answer to your questions

1.typical day- varies three main types of day at sea, in homeport, in shipyard. Homeport can be good days working with 3-8 section duty and working hours mon-fri 07-15 or less. At sea on call 24hrs a day very little sleep typically work over 80hrs a week more as a “nub” (non-usable body general slur for new personnel) in ship yard similar work load to at sea you just go home “some” nights. Work typically cleaning most of the navy is nothing more than glorified janitorial work and if you are and electrician even your maintenance will be janitorial in nature (clean and inspect XXX motor controller)

2.Free time is directly proportional to qualification level and seniority the more of each you have the more free time you should expect. On my last deployment as the third most senior blue shirt in div and the watch bill coordinator I worked only abut 6-8hrs a day (this is very unusual) the typical new person will have little to no “free” time under way and will have probably around 2-5 hrs of sleep a day.

3.daylight subs well you can guess underway. Surface sure especially if you are a smoker.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2007, 01:14 by 93-383 »

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2007, 09:29 »

Son you're about two SRO Licenses and two Shift Manager Qual cards from being where I am.

Mike

Sejik

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:24 »

... Get used to that, and welcome to the navy, much less the nuclear navy. You'll get that from staff/student/officer equally. Don't show any weakness, or they'll swarm on you like rabid flies to a dead cow.

Personally, I can't answer for how the real navy is like. All I've seen is this BS training crap, though it does seem to be progressively easier and better.

A word of advice though, as far as I'm concerned, so far, this life style isn't about what you know, but who you know and your ability to get along with people/talk to people. Trained monkey's can operate the nuclear plant, hell, even MMs could. Heh, but if you're going to get through the pipeline, you'll know enough to be safe. It's that, and all about watch-team backup.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2007, 10:15 »
... Get used to that, and welcome to the navy, much less the nuclear navy. You'll get that from staff/student/officer equally. Don't show any weakness, or they'll swarm on you like rabid flies to a dead cow.

Personally, I can't answer for how the real navy is like. All I've seen is this BS training crap, though it does seem to be progressively easier and better.

A word of advice though, as far as I'm concerned, so far, this life style isn't about what you know, but who you know and your ability to get along with people/talk to people. Trained monkey's can operate the nuclear plant, hell, even MMs could. Heh, but if you're going to get through the pipeline, you'll know enough to be safe. It's that, and all about watch-team backup.

A BS training program that opened up a world of doors for you. It sucks.

Justin

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:01 »
May I offer a tid-bit?

Oral boards at Prototype:

You have many mini oral boards at Prototype--they happen to be called checkouts.  Money well spent is to ask the person giving your check out for a friendly wager.  Bet a gedunk that he or she (I guess nowadays) can't ask you something you don't know.  This is where you here a lot of Oral Board questions come up, you know, the stuff they usually save for later.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007, 02:28 »
May I offer a tid-bit?

You have many mini oral boards at Prototype--they happen to be called checkouts.  Money well spent is to ask the person giving your check out for a friendly wager.  Bet a gedunk that he or she (I guess nowadays) can't ask you something you don't know.  This is where you here a lot of Oral Board questions come up, you know, the stuff they usually save for later.

Ah but that kind of thing is illegal and can get you in trouble. In fact... I believe NPTU Ballston Spa killed the age old tradition of qualified students buying food shortly after I left in June. Watch yourself with this kinda thing these days. Never know when some LT looking to be the next hero by saving you from your tradition is standing around the corner. Morale and tradition do not apply to the blue donkey.

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 02:29 by JustinHEMI05 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:50 »
May I offer a tid-bit?

actually studying and going through OP's help much more then the generally disgruntled staff member who doesnt really care.

checkouts are what you make of em.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?