Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Disqualification/LimDu honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Disqualification/LimDu  (Read 6708 times)

ELT_Phai

Nuke Disqualification/LimDu
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:30 »
Hey Everyone!

Here's a quick rundown of my story:
Been enlisted since April 2008, Made it through Boot, nuke MM A school, Power School, NPTU Charleston AND was picked up and qualified ELT and AVT.  I had recieved orders to PCS to San Diego, unfortunately the night before i detaching from NPTU i had a seizure.  NPTU charleston kept me for 2 months on Medical Hold and now i'm transferring to Naval Hospital Clinic Charleston to be on Limited Duty. (the seizure is an isolated incident, the doc's can't find anything wrong with me)

My questions are, am i still a nuke?  What happens next?  No one at my old command can give me a concise answer and everyone at my new command (the hospital) treats me like Nuke waste. 

I am NOT nuke waste, i made it through every hurdle and qualified everything they'd let me, but due to an unforseen incident i'm now stuck in limbo.

It's difficult to seek clear guidance on what to do,  I would like to stay in.  I understand, odds are i won't see the sub surface fleet but i feel i still have a shot at carriers.

Also, the civilians at NHCC were telling me that not being attached to a nuke command for greater than 180 days would strip me of my NEC, and stated they'd "find a job for me" when my Lim Du was up; implying i was losing my NEC.  Has anyone heard this?

I feel my situation is fairly unique, No idea what to do next, and it's hard to fight the good fight alone.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Nuke Disqualification/LimDu
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:40 »
1)  You're not unique.  There are thousands of nukes who have been placed on LIMDU for medical reasons over the course of their careers (including me).
2)  The LIMDU process is best understood by the medical community that put you there.  However, unless you are talking to a UMO (Undersea Medical Officer), don't expect the medical community to be able to explain the ramifications of LIMDU on your NEC.  So try and get together with a UMO do discuss your specific situation.  Otherwise, the admin folks and career counselors are your best bet.
3)  LIMDU for > 6 months does result in loss of NEC (or at least did when I went through it).  If you lose your NEC, you lose any nuclear bonus you were entitled to.
4)  A medical board has to certify your suitability for continued service before your NEC can be reinstated.
5)  Don't just mope around on LIMDU...do something...I was able to finish an AS degree in my year away from the program....you can too.  If you do end up staying in or getting out, staying a nuke or not, this will only help.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

ELT_Phai

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:16 »
Thank You.

I just want to be proactive about my case.  It's disappointing to go through 2 years of training and make through all of it come to find out that I could get disqualified and not get much from the whole situation.

I actually went to and figured the whole Web TA deal out, I'm currently taking a few classes through Thomas Edison.

I suppose also, outside of the Firefighter/Wet trainer school I went to, this is my first exposure to the navy outside the Nuke Community.  I've been told one thing by one person and another by someone else.  I realize that'll happen, I'm just trying to find guidance.  Currently i feels like I'm going to get boned for something i had no control over.

Any more thoughts or help is appreciated.

ranger306ci

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:58 »
Don't worry, your training will not be wasted. If you are or are not a nuke anymore, the world outside battle grey loves "navy nuke" on the resume. If you are still getting the nuke bonus in your paycheck, you're still a nuke. I wandered through limdu also. Just gotta keep at it. Talk to the admins, find what in your file, etc, etc. Talk to the detailer, see what they can find out. My coworker was limdu'd a year for a bad back, and kept his NEC. Just keep at it, and make the best of your time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?