Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AECF transfering to Nuke

Author Topic: AECF transfering to Nuke  (Read 17458 times)

Walifrex

Re: AECF transfering to Nuke
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:11 »
Update.

Told yesterday waiver didn't go through, and that the minimester thing may not work. Waiting to hear back from the NFC (Man I love having to track everyone down every day to keep on top of them, but if I want it, gotta work for it.).

Got told we may be able to push my ship date back to allow me to take some spring semester classes at the local CC to see if that works, but then I can run the risk of losing AECF and getting stuck with a worse job. Still going to push for Nuke as much as I can, but I'm seriously thinking about just going AECF, seeing how I like it, then when the chance comes in a few years, if I can, getting an age waiver and transferring to Nuke after showing the Navy I'm not a lazy pillock.

Is that plan feasible in any way shape or form?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:02 »

Still going to push for Nuke as much as I can, but I'm seriously thinking about just going AECF, seeing how I like it, then when the chance comes in a few years, if I can, getting an age waiver and transferring to Nuke after showing the Navy I'm not a lazy pillock.

No.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

co60slr

« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:09 »
Update.

Told yesterday waiver didn't go through, and that the minimester thing may not work. Waiting to hear back from the NFC (Man I love having to track everyone down every day to keep on top of them, but if I want it, gotta work for it.).

Got told we may be able to push my ship date back to allow me to take some spring semester classes at the local CC to see if that works, but then I can run the risk of losing AECF and getting stuck with a worse job. Still going to push for Nuke as much as I can, but I'm seriously thinking about just going AECF, seeing how I like it, then when the chance comes in a few years, if I can, getting an age waiver and transferring to Nuke after showing the Navy I'm not a lazy pillock.

First, don't sound desperate.  When a car dealer knows you've fallen in love with his car, his job is done.   Likewise with military recruiters (no insult towards present Forum members).

Separately, you have to "keep on people for things you want in any facet of life.  Be polite about it...(or not as the case may so very carefully dictate).  However, people are always on their own time...not yours.  Just learn how to deal with this professionally, with grace, with respect, but with energy.   Yes...show them you want it.

Next, you don't ever "get stuck with a worse job".  If the recruiter used those words, you might consider other options than with that person.  However, I don't know your circumstance.   Regardless, YOU should not feel "stuck" with anything.

Lateral moves in the military are rare.  Once they place you, there's no advantage for them to retrain you.  Don't count on laterally moving into nuke unless someone else here has a golden nugget for you to consider.  I've seen VERY few do this.

At the risk of sounding like a broken, repeating record...what do you want your resume to say in 4-6 years when it's time to leave the Navy?  A technical career with college options?  GI Bill afterwards?  Electronics career?  There are very good jobs in the Navy.  It's not "all nuke or nothing"; however, you'll forgive us if we're a bit biased here.   Again, you're in charge of your future.

It sounds like you don't know.  That's ok too.  If the nuke door has slammed shut, then so be it.   Just make sure you're happy with door #2.   There are plenty of people in the Navy:Getting Out forum that could give better advice, but I'm guessing they wish they were in your shoes...only asking more questions.  If AECF is for you, than talk to someone who's gone ahead and find out more about it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?