Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Which Navy rate?

Author Topic: Which Navy rate?  (Read 5223 times)

rhthompson

Which Navy rate?
« on: Aug 24, 2011, 05:51 »
I am a 9 year Navy missile tech. veteran.  I have been out since late 2005.  I have been working as a maintenance electrician in the carpet industry since I got out.  I have been trying to get on with TVA or the other local power companies with no success.  I have recently been toying with the idea of going back in the service as a reservist.  Just wondering if there would be a particular rate that would help in my endeavor to be employed by these companies.  I would love to go Nuke EM but I doubt that will be a choice. Thanks.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Which Navy rate?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:19 »
I would love to go Nuke EM but I doubt that will be a choice. Thanks.

No way would that be a choice.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:36 »
No way would that be a choice.

Cheers,
GC

For the OPs benefit: I know several ex-nuke EMs (cough). You might as well try the MM-ELT path, as that any post-Nav job you think would be a niche good deal for EMs, in fact already has several MMs floating around in it.

Besides, MM A School is WAY easier than EM A school  8)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:43 »
He is talking reserves, so unless I am mistaken, those won't be choices either.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:01 »
First, as mentioned, there are no reserve billets for navy nuke.  Second, you would need an age waiver (which I believe would be impossible btw) & serve in the regular nav to make (navy) nuke come true (re: military option wise).  Third, any EM or MM work you do as a reservist would be a plus.  It's my opinion that you are not being considered for a much different reason.  My advice is try to figure that reason out for future success at TVA.  Your service (past &) in the reserves is much apprectiated.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:08 »
guys. Do the math. 9 years of service. That puts him at 28 at the youngest when he got out in 05. Add six more years. at 34, nuke isnt even an option in any form or fashion.

edit: it appears macgyver did :p
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2011, 12:42 by Starkist »

rhthompson

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:07 »
Starkist your math is right on I'm 34. I guess I was thinking on the right track because EM and MM were my first two choices but one of my buddies suggested I look for a rate with a clearance to help me get on. Also can anyone give me a list of good job boards for the southeast region. Part of my problem is I don't know where to look besides TVs and southern power. Thanks

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2011, 03:25 »
Starkist your math is right on I'm 34. I guess I was thinking on the right track because EM and MM were my first two choices but one of my buddies suggested I look for a rate with a clearance to help me get on. Also can anyone give me a list of good job boards for the southeast region. Part of my problem is I don't know where to look besides TVs and southern power. Thanks

Entergy, Exelon, Duke power, TVA,

give this a look over too

http://www.energyjustice.net/map/searchobject.php?gsTable=facility&gsSearchtype=themap

DOD security clearance has NOTHING to do with DOE security clearance, it doesnt even transpose at all.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2011, 07:46 »

Entergy, Exelon, Duke power, TVA,

give this a look over too

http://www.energyjustice.net/map/searchobject.php?gsTable=facility&gsSearchtype=themap

DOD security clearance has NOTHING to do with DOE security clearance, it doesnt even transpose at all.

Incorrect. I left the Navy with security clearances considerably higher than Top Secret. My original choice of employment was DOE, they required a Q Clearance and they transferred my clearance within days.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2011, 12:07 »
Incorrect. I left the Navy with security clearances considerably higher than Top Secret. My original choice of employment was DOE, they required a Q Clearance and they transferred my clearance within days.

err. am I confusing plant access with DOE clearance??? Im confused because I STILL have my DOD clearance until 2015.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?