Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nine Mile Point workers on strike

Author Topic: Nine Mile Point workers on strike  (Read 48068 times)

Sun Dog

Nine Mile Point workers on strike
« on: Jul 09, 2011, 03:31 »
Any guess how long it will last?  I'd wager they come to terms before the first frost.  The picket line could be uncomfortable in Oswego come January.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/nine_mile_point_nuclear_worker_1.html

flblasted

Re: Nine Mile Point workers on strike
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:39 »
Can anyone spread some insight on some of the preparations they've had to make to staff the shift?

I'm curious how many active licensed SROs they have that they can cover without violating NRC fatigue rules.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:47 »
They probably won't meet the fatigue rules, but that is why there are waivers. Sucks to be them. I've got an email out to an SRO buddy I have there, maybe he will give me more scoop.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011, 08:49 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

flblasted

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2011, 09:01 »
I suppose so, but I would think they'd get a pretty big boot up their ass waiving the fatigue rule if they've been planning for this for a year.  (read that in this article http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/strike_vote_looming_for_nine_m.html)

Interesting. 

sro1331

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2011, 10:53 »
Nine Mile is adhering to all the fatigue rules.  No waivers

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:08 »
Yeah good point. Thanks sro.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2011, 11:22 »
From my SRO buddy;

4 on four off, four crews. Management covering everything.

Offline ctfission

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2011, 05:22 »
I wonder how they are staffing fire brigade?

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2011, 05:58 »
They may have enough licensed operators to cover everything, but what about mainteneance?  RP? 

When we got locked out in 92, there were 3 LER's in the first 48 hours.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Sun Dog

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2011, 06:25 »
Many questions.

Few answers.

Too bad.

If not managed properly this may load yet another bullet into the chamber of the gun held by the antis who may ignore the green advantages of nuclear and point to the local cogens as an alternative.  Cheaper and quicker to build - simpler to license - requires 85% less people to operate - produces as much or more MWe.

JMNSHO

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2011, 06:26 by Sun Dog »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2011, 07:26 »
They may have enough licensed operators to cover everything, but what about mainteneance?  RP? 

When we got locked out in 92, there were 3 LER's in the first 48 hours.

From my SRO buddy;

"Supervisors are becoming techs, and people with previous exp in other positions are being moved around."

I asked him just what you ask above, what are they doing about maintenance/I&C and RP?

Justin

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2011, 09:02 »
Between management and training instructors, I think they have that covered as well.

I hear from a reliable source that they are being sequestered at the plant starting Wednesday.  The same source seems to believe (but isn't certain) that they are working 4 days on and 4 days off, but being sequestered on their days off as well.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2011, 10:11 »
One can only hope the scram. The reactor's will be harder to control in mode 4 or 5.     

Let me get this straight- you're hoping they scram and have difficulties controlling the reactor?  If so, shame on you.  Also, your implications that all management are lazy, spiteful, and incompetent is offensive.  Hopefully it's just another of your 20 or so grammatical errors... goes to show that proof-reading really does matter!

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2011, 11:52 »
1) Exelon has trained has trained Constellation Energy Nuclear Group,  Oyster Creek Union tried this and took a heavy hit. They will not be doing any maintenance cause they really do not care about maintenance. There management, They only care what your doing not what there doing. After the strike this will not be a nice place to work. Union people will cross, Those people will be ostracized. Management with rub it in there face for year's. A Strike is the last resort for workers. I hope they did the right thing here and I wish them the best of luck against the 900 pound bully. If they stay together they have a chance. One can only hope the scram. The reactor's will be harder to control in mode 4 or 5.     

Wow, I'm just another Operator, but you may want to take an English course. As far as hoping they"re (note the spelling) going to have a tough time controlling the reactor, may I suggest Walmart?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2011, 06:03 »
By wanting the plant to scram would only give the union a better bargaining position and make the corporate cronies bargain in good faith.      

Shutdowns always help the union and management work things out. Just ask the ROs at Zion ?

Sure you have good at grammar. You and corporate cronies are on your computer all the time writing reports and going to meeting on how to screw the union guy's over. As for the plant scramming. Well you would not have to worry about grammar anymore. Would you.

No, no....that was a Large chocolate Frosty, and supersize the #3 combo!  >:(
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2011, 06:07 by HydroDave63 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2011, 06:09 »
Shutdowns always help the union and management work things out. Just ask the ROs at Zion ?

This outlook started at Zion,...

Guys, You waken up some old brain cell. I started in Zion in 1980......

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Sun Dog

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2011, 06:23 »
Does anyone even know what issues prompted the IBEW to leave their posts and how far apart the parties are?

A civil discussion about the issues may actually be beneficial and those benefits may be far reaching.

Hating the other guys just because they are the other guys should be reserved for sports where it is expected that Traitor fans will hate fans of the Chiefs, the Steelers, the Broncos and any other team that plays above .500.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2011, 06:31 by Sun Dog »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2011, 07:02 »
The wage increase is better than a lot of places, but the swap from defined benefit pension (i.e. X dollars a month forever) over to a cash-balance plan is always in corporate's interest. I'd be curious to know if the union countered with a larger company pay-in on the cash balance side, or decided that defined benefit was worth the strike?

Sun Dog

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2011, 12:30 »
Wow!

Shaw awarded contract to engineer and construct a 550 MW dual fuel combined-cycle gas turbine (CCGT) plant at Ninemile Point!!!  The announcement is two weeks old so I assume the decision to build is not a response to the current labor situation but merely a coincidence.

http://ir.shawgrp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61066&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1580668&highlight=

Wait a second!  That is Ninemile Point in Louisiana, not NY!  Sorry, my bad.

Offline ETCS

• Lurker
« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:06 »
Here is what is going on (quoted from email sent by a Nine Mile Point SRO):

The Union wanted a better deal than what the company wanted to give for the senior pension fund (aka transition group).  There are two groups, the transition group and the cash balance group.  The transition group is mostly the senior personnel usually 25+ years tenure.  The cash balance folks were convinced by union leadership and the negotiating committee to stick to their brotherhood and vote against the proposed "bad deal" because the "company always has another offer in their back pocket."  The company did not make another offer and the junior guys have since regretted it, several have already quit.

The Management personnel are running the plant and performing the maintenance.  The strike contingency plan has been in place for a year or more, so the company was more than well prepared for a strike.  The shifts are staffed by SROs in all positions except the Fire Brigade, which is manned by personnel who were trained to perform these duties.  There are 4 crews, four days on, four days off, with personnel currently sequestered during their time on.  There are enough SROs to support other activities including the maintenance groups, work control, and the corrective action program.  Work is going around the clock and there is already a significant dent in the maintenance backlog (ala Oyster Creek).  Some activities have been deferred but not many.  People are paid 1.5 time once they go over 40 hours of work and being paid to spend the night/day while off shift.  The management folks are making a ton of money (especially those who do not get paid overtime) but the company is actually saving a ton of money.  On top of that, sympathetic strikers from other unions are supporting the picket line and creating several disruptions, including beating on peoples' cars with picket signs, dressing in black and walking out into traffic to slow them down, etc.  Law enforcement is providing support as necessary.  The local news doesn't even seem to care much about it, there have only been occasional reports.

The Union is making a ton of public statements about "two weeks of job shodowing being inadequate" and the safety of the plants is in jeopardy because of the "lack of experience" but the reality is most personnel have pretty much moved back to their old jobs and are fairly proficient, including chemistry and RP, etc.  The union also has lost some credibility by picketing immediately outside the gate, not outside the 10 mile radius, where one could be reasonably assured of safe distance from nuclear disaster.  A lot of them are picketing with their families as well.  The union really doesn't look too good right now, especially since the NRC reported that their two day inspection shows that only "properly trained operators are running the facility."

ChuckW65

« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:58 »
That is the information I am getting from my contacts there, as well.  The Syracuse paper has run a couple of stories but not much has been made of it.

Fermi2

« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2011, 01:04 »

The Union wanted a better deal than what the company wanted to give for the senior pension fund (aka transition group).  There are two groups, the transition group and the cash balance group.  The transition group is mostly the senior personnel usually 25+ years tenure.  The cash balance folks were convinced by union leadership and the negotiating committee to stick to their brotherhood and vote against the proposed "bad deal" because the "company always has another offer in their back pocket."  The company did not make another offer and the junior guys have since regretted it, several have already quit.

The Management personnel are running the plant and performing the maintenance.  The strike contingency plan has been in place for a year or more, so the company was more than well prepared for a strike.  The shifts are staffed by SROs in all positions except the Fire Brigade, which is manned by personnel who were trained to perform these duties.  There are 4 crews, four days on, four days off, with personnel currently sequestered during their time on.  There are enough SROs to support other activities including the maintenance groups, work control, and the corrective action program.  Work is going around the clock and there is already a significant dent in the maintenance backlog (ala Oyster Creek).  Some activities have been deferred but not many.  People are paid 1.5 time once they go over 40 hours of work and being paid to spend the night/day while off shift.  The management folks are making a ton of money (especially those who do not get paid overtime) but the company is actually saving a ton of money.  On top of that, sympathetic strikers from other unions are supporting the picket line and creating several disruptions, including beating on peoples' cars with picket signs, dressing in black and walking out into traffic to slow them down, etc.  Law enforcement is providing support as necessary.  The local news doesn't even seem to care much about it, there have only been occasional reports.

The Union is making a ton of public statements about "two weeks of job shodowing being inadequate" and the safety of the plants is in jeopardy because of the "lack of experience" but the reality is most personnel have pretty much moved back to their old jobs and are fairly proficient, including chemistry and RP, etc.  The union also has lost some credibility by picketing immediately outside the gate, not outside the 10 mile radius, where one could be reasonably assured of safe distance from nuclear disaster.  A lot of them are picketing with their families as well.  The union really doesn't look too good right now, especially since the NRC reported that their two day inspection shows that only "properly trained operators are running the facility."

Reads like a press release. What a crock of BS.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2011, 04:53 »
The union also has lost some credibility by picketing immediately outside the gate, not outside the 10 mile radius, where one could be reasonably assured of safe distance from nuclear disaster.  A lot of them are picketing with their families as well.  The union really doesn't look too good right now, especially since the NRC reported that their two day inspection shows that only "properly trained operators are running the facility."

Signed,
      Montgomery Burns

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 05:35 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2011, 05:04 »

Same sort of stuff my contact is saying. Thanks!

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2011, 07:03 »
Let's face it. Their backlog IS NOT going down. Lie.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?