Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Time to hit it honeypot

Author Topic: Time to hit it  (Read 8801 times)

mwdavis

Time to hit it
« on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:55 »
Well, the six months of on site time working with Operations......or Spring Vacation if you prefer......is over. Fundies officially started today. I am excited to finally get going. Who knows, in a couple of years I might actually be somebody.....

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Time to hit it
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:00 »
Good luck and keep us posted!

Remember, the GFES exam bank is open and available for a reason, use it.

If you need help and can't find it there, feel free to ask here.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

flblasted

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:51 »
Good luck, work hard, and always ask questions no matter how dumb you think it might be.

mwdavis

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2011, 09:58 »
Well....halfway through Fundies.....things are going great. Twice now exam questions have been challenged by people who need that extra point to get 100% and the questions have been thrown out. Works out well for them. Not so great for those in the class who got the question right, then saw their overall average lower through no fault of their own. Oh well....I guess that's par for the course. At least I'm still above 90%. NNPS was a long time ago (1987), but I sure remember Reactor Fundamentals being a lot more in-depth back then........Still having a hard time getting used to the fact that the moderator coefficient is allowed to go slightly positive at times........

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2011, 10:58 »
Well....halfway through Fundies.....things are going great. Twice now exam questions have been challenged by people who need that extra point to get 100% and the questions have been thrown out. Works out well for them. Not so great for those in the class who got the question right, then saw their overall average lower through no fault of their own. Oh well....I guess that's par for the course. At least I'm still above 90%. NNPS was a long time ago (1987), but I sure remember Reactor Fundamentals being a lot more in-depth back then........Still having a hard time getting used to the fact that the moderator coefficient is allowed to go slightly positive at times........

woah. What kinda plant you in?

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2011, 11:02 »
woah. What kinda plant you in?

PWR right after refueling, BOL.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2011, 11:39 »
PWR right after refueling, BOL.

Im tryin hard to think this through, but I dont get it. Reactivity of the fuel rises, but what does that have to do with temp coeff? Fuel burns hotter, temp goes up, resonance absorption goes up??? It has to be really really small then. And they do more boron injection for more shut down margin then,  wouldnt they?

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2011, 11:53 »
It is only slighty positive and very quickly goes negative. Due to excess reactivity and having so much boron at BOL.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2011, 12:11 »
Still having a hard time getting used to the fact that the moderator coefficient is allowed to go slightly positive at times........

Im tryin hard to think this through, but I dont get it. Reactivity of the fuel rises, but what does that have to do with temp coeff? Fuel burns hotter, temp goes up, resonance absorption goes up??? It has to be really really small then. And they do more boron injection for more shut down margin then,  wouldnt they?

He mentioned moderator coefficient, and you go off trying to reverse engineer Doppler!  >:(  (Yes, I'm too lazy to fetch yet another facepalm picture!)

Imagine: PWR, BOL, boron around 2500 ppm. Warm water stretches, fewer HBO3s to steal those precious neutrons, so mo neutron flux per cm2 . Fuel gets lucky like Britney Spears. Thus, warm reactor hottub water increases reactivity and is thus the shiznit.

- Apologies to anyone having learned Reactor Physics prior to the creation of Myspace -
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2011, 12:35 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2011, 01:34 »

He mentioned moderator coefficient, and you go off trying to reverse engineer Doppler!  >:(  (Yes, I'm too lazy to fetch yet another facepalm picture!)

Imagine: PWR, BOL, boron around 2500 ppm. Warm water stretches, fewer HBO3s to steal those precious neutrons, so mo neutron flux per cm2 . Fuel gets lucky like Britney Spears. Thus, warm reactor hottub water increases reactivity and is thus the shiznit.

- Apologies to anyone having learned Reactor Physics prior to the creation of Myspace -

Lol. I was just tryin to figure it out in my had but I went and read up on it last night. Keep in mind, Im at a BWR :p

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2011, 05:47 »

That isn't a big deal.

You shouldn't compare it to NNPP. NNPP goes more in depths on some topics, commercial nukes go more in depth on others. NNPP wanted you to know all about Mr. Neutron, commercial nukes want you to know all about the coefficients..., as one example.

And later in systems you will see a separation again, as to what the NNPP thinks is important and what we think is important.

Just embrace it. :)

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

mwdavis

« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2011, 08:11 »
That isn't a big deal.

You shouldn't compare it to NNPP. NNPP goes more in depths on some topics, commercial nukes go more in depth on others. NNPP wanted you to know all about Mr. Neutron, commercial nukes want you to know all about the coefficients..., as one example.

And later in systems you will see a separation again, as to what the NNPP thinks is important and what we think is important.

Just embrace it. :)

Justin

I am lovin' it. All good. We even get a little break from the classroom between fundies and systems. Go help with the fall outage and rake in a little extra cash, learn about high voltage switching and clearance orders.......Then hit systems when the snow begins to fall

mwdavis

« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:16 »
Passed the Fundies exam today. Sure am glad that the hard part of licensing is behind me now......lol......

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2011, 06:10 »
Congrats and good luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?