Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to prepare for A school? honeypot

Author Topic: How to prepare for A school?  (Read 6960 times)

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
How to prepare for A school?
« on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:46 »
So I am currently in the process of joining the Navy and im trying to get into nuke. the only thing i am kind of afraid of is not being able to pass the school. I scored a 92 on my ASVAb and i think my NUC composite score was 254. I am taking calculus in college right now and i took chemistry in high school (which i don't remember a thing) and i never took physics. I don't know much about electronics, (i only did good on the electronics portion of the asvab because i read through an asvab prep book a few days before, but don't remember much now.

So basically, i really don't want to fail and be stuck as a paint chipper. I am planning on DEPing in a few weeks and from what ive read, ill have awhile before shipping off so i will have time to go to summer school. So would it be a good idea to take Chemistry or Physics in the summer before bootcamp?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: How to prepare for A school?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:08 »
No. You don't need to study for anything. You need to come ready to learn, and have a good attitude. This question has been asked about 30000000000000000000000000000 00000 times, so do yourself a favor and do a search on this. Plenty of topics on the first page even.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:09 »
1: Capitalize correctly, it's I not i.

2: Search function. Your question has been answered many times already.

BTW: The band Broadzilla has broken up :(

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 07:10 by Broadzilla »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:39 »
So basically, i really don't want to fail and be stuck as a paint chipper. I am planning on DEPing in a few weeks and from what ive read, ill have awhile before shipping off so i will have time to go to summer school. So would it be a good idea to take Chemistry or Physics in the summer before bootcamp? 

You might try basic grammar school english before you tackle Math, Chemistry, or Physics.

Learn "Search"!  If you don't have the desire and energy for that, forget it, you ain't making it!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:49 »
BTW: The band Broadzilla has broken up :(

So your avatar will change to Justin Bieber? Hank Jr. ?

On-topic: Why not let your mind wander on the Wikipedia pages regarding nuclear power. Where you find a hole in your knowledge, research.

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:38 »

While it is never a bad idea to keep learning, the level of physics and chemistry required to get through A-school and Power school is relatively low. A high school level science class will cover many topics that are never touched on in the pipeline. If you need to learn anything, the first few weeks of physics, chemistry, and electrical theory will be the most useful to you.

Honestly, don't worry too much about your prior knowledge. It is far more important to have good study habits.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:42 »
Removed
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 by Bigchris »

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:00 »
p.s. you shouldnt be posting this stuff on open forums. Thanks! :P

I am sorry about that. When I log in all the forums show up so I don’t give them much thought to public or GM. I will see if I can edit it out and move it.
Bigchris

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:00 »
And regardless of whether you complete the program or not, you'll spend time as a paint chipper.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 »
And regardless of whether you complete the program or not, you'll spend time as a paint chipper.

Ha! Very true! :p

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:37 »
And parking lot cleaner, and 'gator watch, and...
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2012, 01:04 »
30000000000000000000000000000 0000
= 1.35E+15MCi = 1.35E+21Ci = 1.35E+27uCi etc.
= 8.11E+16MBq = 8.11E+22Bq = 8.11E+28uBq etc.

It was just uh question. Uh, oh yea, a question.
Lighten up - stress kills. Uh,forget it.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012, 02:11 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?