Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu When is the best time to apply for the NUPOC Program?

Author Topic: When is the best time to apply for the NUPOC Program?  (Read 9914 times)

Offline Future

• Lurker
I am a senior in high school and i am trying to have my future planned out. I plan to attend Francis Marion University to do a Physics Dual Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Clemson University. So i would have a B.S. in Physics and Mechanical Engineering. Then attending graduate school to obtain a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering. I am wondering when will be the time i would need to apply for the NUPOC Program?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: When is the best time to apply for the NUPOC Program?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:30 »
I am a senior in high school and i am trying to have my future planned out. I plan to attend Francis Marion University to do a Physics Dual Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Clemson University. So i would have a B.S. in Physics and Mechanical Engineering. Then attending graduate school to obtain a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering. I am wondering when will be the time i would need to apply for the NUPOC Program?

http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/undergraduate.html

Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program (NUPOC)

If you are interested in being part of one of the top nuclear programs on earth, look into the NUPOC program. It offers up to $168,300 while finishing your degree, providing a regular monthly income ranging from $3,280 to $5,610 for up to 30 months prior to your graduation. That includes a generous military salary, a food allowance, plus a housing allowance that is based upon the location of the school you attend. You’ll also enjoy comprehensive military health-care benefits – with no uniforms, no drilling requirements and no service obligation until you graduate.

From there, you’ll begin the process of being commissioned as a Navy Nuclear Officer and take on unrivaled training and professional responsibilities. Through this highly competitive program, there are opportunities in any of four career focus areas. Learn more about those areas, the specific qualification requirements and the specific offers related to each:

Submarine Officer (Nuclear Submarines)
Surface Warfare Officer (Nuclear Aircraft Carriers)
Naval Reactors Engineer
Naval Nuclear Power School Instructor

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2012, 07:32 by HydroDave63 »

MacGyver

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2012, 06:05 »

I thought about responding,,,,, But I figured,,,,,

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2012, 06:44 by MacGyver »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2012, 11:05 »
I believe the answer you are looking for is NOW.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:19 »
I believe the answer you are looking for is NOW.

Wrong....

The kid is still in high school.

HD is correct.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:37 »
So, you are saying that the kid needs to wait until he is halfway through is sophomore year of college before he applies for NUPOC?
If the kid is halfway through his senior year in HS, he has almost certainly been accepted to a college by now, would this not be the time to start the application process?  Or, does the Navy make the decisions that quickly for this "highly competitive program"?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Loch Ness Monster

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 »
So, you are saying that the kid needs to wait until he is halfway through is sophomore year of college before he applies for NUPOC?
If the kid is halfway through his senior year in HS, he has almost certainly been accepted to a college by now, would this not be the time to start the application process?  Or, does the Navy make the decisions that quickly for this "highly competitive program"?

I tried to start the application process about 32 months before graduation. I was told to call back in 2 months. He needs to wait.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:20 »
Would having an NROTC scholarship disqualify him from NUPOC?  I mean, is it possible to have both, to transfer from one to another, or are they mutually exclusive?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2012, 03:57 »
Would having an NROTC scholarship disqualify him from NUPOC?  I mean, is it possible to have both, to transfer from one to another, or are they mutually exclusive?

NROTC scholarship would disqualify him from NUPOC.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 »
Then, what is your opinion - just your personal views - on which would be a better route for a young person not yet in college?  Would an NROTC scholarship be the better place to start, or should he get a few semesters of college done and apply for NUPOC?  Assume that the individual would in either case be qualified and accepted to either program.

It seems to me that if a person has some other scholarship to pay for college or is already well on the way through college, that NUPOC is a better deal, while someone who has to pay for college would get more benefit from going the NROTC route.  What are your thoughts?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2012, 03:18 »
Then, what is your opinion - just your personal views - on which would be a better route for a young person not yet in college?  Would an NROTC scholarship be the better place to start, or should he get a few semesters of college done and apply for NUPOC?  Assume that the individual would in either case be qualified and accepted to either program.

It seems to me that if a person has some other scholarship to pay for college or is already well on the way through college, that NUPOC is a better deal, while someone who has to pay for college would get more benefit from going the NROTC route.  What are your thoughts?

I would say that NUPOC is the better deal, if you can afford to wait until the end of your sophomore year to apply.  You get paid, earn leave, and are guaranteed to be a nuke.  I think NUPOC is the bestt deal going for future naval nukes.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:20 »
Money wise it looks like a great deal.  If you are smart, you could pay off your student loans even before graduation with that kind of income.  But, it does seem like a gamble to wait until you have 30 months of school to go before you can apply.  I guess that if you make it, it is a good deal, but it isn't something that one should count on if you haven't started coillege yet.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?