Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPS Comp  

Author Topic: NPS Comp  (Read 11473 times)

wolfy659

NPS Comp
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:49 »
So this post is for all of you recent NPS grads/current prototype guys...

I'm an ET3 currently in NPS, just about to take the comp. I'm a 3.4-3.5 student, and just wondering in general what to expect from this exam. I know that alot of us are taking this test very seriously going into it, but then there's alot of people blowing it off too. NR writes the exams but since our instructors grade it (and they say its BOD all over the place), I'm just unsure (worried) about what'll be on it. I've heard mostly plant applied stuff (vice the theory which built us up to it)

Any advice?

LaFeet

Re: NPS Comp
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 12:29 »
 Any actual reference to the exam material is probably still governed by the Navys security regs.. (CRGN I think).

As for generic topics, I recall a lot of rx safety, rx physics and mechanical theory when I took my comp.....in 1981

Good Luck

wolfy659

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 04:01 »
Definently wasn't looking for spec topics...just what to expect as far as how intensive the exam is going to be on specifics (ie big plant wide stuff or very specific toward particulars)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:15 »
For me, I did really well on the comp, but I understood all the basic concepts and didn't memorize.  if this is you, just keep going over the main concepts, walk thru them and ensure you really understand why.  if you get all those right, and miss half of the picky stuff (which is a high estimate) you should bust a 3.0 out no prob.  and since the short-term memory is capable of handling 7 items for the average person, have a list of 7 items you can't seem to pin down and study the crap out of those items 10 minutes before the test.  when you get the test, right away write those 7 items down BEFORE you see the test on your scrap.  use this "cheat sheet" you made during the test since it is legal because you made it after you got the test.   if you are a marginal student this may bump you into the 2.5 range....

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 08:15 »
Talk to your instructors and Section Advisor (Section LPO or the guy who does your biweekly interviews).  Your performance on your finals are a good indicator of how you'll do on the COMP.  I would study HTFF and your cross-rate subject since you haven't seen that much lately.  Do not take the Comp for granted.  In case you're wondering my expertise on this topic.  I did 2 tours at NPS (1990-1993 and 1998-2001).  I don't think the comp's changed much since then.  I used to prepare comps during both my tours.  Good Luck!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

wolfy659

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 08:42 »
Well tomorrow's the big day!

Derek, as far as talking to instructors and SLPO's:
My in-rate and CMR instructors are brainless and/or don't care (DIO's...or DILDO's for those from the old school) I've been hitting up HTFF pretty hard (being that it was my worst subject & everyone elses best), kinda ignoring mero (only 40 points and i know the most important stuff)

Like I said, im a 3.45 student, no less than a 3.35 on any final (HTFF).
My problem is that I don't take the comp lightly, it's really the only one I freak about.
A-School i pulled a 3.58 on the comp, but our chief put us all on tac 8's veteran's day weekend (and the holiday too, yes). I'm pretty sure it's just normal for me to panic.

Well gotta rest up...I'll let you all know how i did sometime after 1900 tomorrow...thanks for all the words of encouragement!

Oh and my SLPO...I had an initial interview w/him week one and have spoken to him maybe 2 times since...didn't know you could care that little about your job and be a first...he usually comes in around 1000 and gone by 1200, on several occasions class dir (ETCM) has come looking for him midday.

Thanks again!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:00 »
I studied 2 hours the day before the comp early in the day, then took some time off to relax, went to bed early.  got up at 0430, got breakfast and chow, then just browsed my notes fromc 0515 to 0700 in a relaxed manner and made my "7 items list".  I've read alot of material that says take some time off and get good rest before a major exam and you should do better. it sounds like you are a good student, so one more piece of advice would be to go over your notes and look for areas where you could "pull a brainfart", basically what I call a "brain transpostition error".  A very silly example of this since power school was so long ago for me I can't remember a good example, but confusing fast fission with thermal fission would be an example, albeit not a good one.  go through your notes, you will find some stuff similar to what I am talking about. anything else i can help you with i will be up all night here at Oconee Nuclear Power plant, good luck!  jim

wolfy659

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 09:09 »
Jim,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm gonna take the first part of your advice, get into the galley for chow (funny how I can't get enough of the galley b-fast here...go figure) then look over notes and start the red bull train running...if you have any more advice you'd find helpful, feel free to leave it here and i'll be sure to check in the am.

And i think a better reference would be fast probablity and thermal factor from the NLC...but I've already drilled not to forget that one!

Kurt

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:22 »
yes, i meant to add that in there, I drank quite a bit of coffee before the comp now that i think about it! hope you do well, I'm sure you will.

LaFeet

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 05:43 »
caffiene is sooo over rated.....  good luck and let us know

wolfy659

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:03 »
So we just had a brief and were released...grades come out @ 1800. I'm pretty confident about it, and some grader must really hate me for me to fail. I'll let you all know how it went after the scores come out and i (hopefully) light up a celebratory cigar...of to a bbq now

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:42 »
I didn't really do anything special to prepare for the comp. If you learned the concepts instead of just memorizing stuff there should never be an issue.  I've always been rather low key about this stuff even back then. Maybe it was because I was older when I went into nuke school but when it comes to this sort of stuff my philosophy has always followed two similar roads.

Road one: The great NFL Fullback Jim Brown was once asked why he never celebrated after making touchdowns or big plays and he said "I act like I've been there before and I assume I'll be back again"

Road two: Eminem "Give me the mic show me where the F'in studios at"

Hope ya did well baby nuke! Enjoy Prototype!

Mike

Mike

nicad

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 03:21 »
Oh and my SLPO...I had an initial interview w/him week one and have spoken to him maybe 2 times since...didn't know you could care that little about your job and be a first...he usually comes in around 1000 and gone by 1200, on several occasions class dir (ETCM) has come looking for him midday.

Thanks again!

welcome to the life of a first class on shore duty.  ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 03:26 »
So we just had a brief and were released...grades come out @ 1800. I'm pretty confident about it, and some grader must really hate me for me to fail. I'll let you all know how it went after the scores come out and i (hopefully) light up a celebratory cigar...of to a bbq now

Hope you did well, I survived on ECFs as well as correct answers....

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20 »
Jim,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm gonna take the first part of your advice, get into the galley for chow (funny how I can't get enough of the galley b-fast here...go figure) then look over notes and start the red bull train running...if you have any more advice you'd find helpful, feel free to leave it here and i'll be sure to check in the am.

And i think a better reference would be fast probablity and thermal factor from the NLC...but I've already drilled not to forget that one!

Kurt

Goodluck on your score but I must say that by the time you get here, you will have forgotten even the most fundamental of concepts. I ask all new ROs on their first S/U "So what is SUR exactly when the reactor goes crit" and 9/10 of them spout off ZERO.  :P It amazing what you are going to forget between NPS and here.

Justin

wolfy659

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 12:46 »
So after a long night of drinking to celebrate the end of NPS, here to share my score...3.61. I'm happy with it, realized i had no reason to worry, and need to get to sleep before work tomorrow.

Thanks all!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 05:29 »
Congrats!!

Justin

LaFeet

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 06:05 »
Justin,  was that SUR just before rod movement stops, just after, or during motion????

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 01:47 »
Justin,  was that SUR just before rod movement stops, just after, or during motion????

Any... or all. :)

Justin

LaFeet

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 04:27 »
Any... or all. :)

Justin

Okay... you  me  and SloGLo... line up the shots and chasers

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 07:31 »
Goodluck on your score but I must say that by the time you get here, you will have forgotten even the most fundamental of concepts. I ask all new ROs on their first S/U "So what is SUR exactly when the reactor goes crit" and 9/10 of them spout off ZERO.  :P It amazing what you are going to forget between NPS and here.

Justin

If you really want to fry their brains, ask them what Reactor Period was prior to shim.  This is why Rickover came up with Start Up Rate--Put things in terms of driving a car (push the pedal and watch the speed change from 0-60 mph) for us simpletons.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

LaFeet

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 09:25 »
If you really want to fry their brains, ask them what Reactor Period was prior to shim.  This is why Rickover came up with Start Up Rate--Put things in terms of driving a car (push the pedal and watch the speed change from 0-60 mph) for us simpletons.

I still like the house curves and pump curves.... they were always an easy question target that the instructors could get cornered with

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?