Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu When do i actually go to basic

Author Topic: When do i actually go to basic  (Read 5770 times)

steelknuckle

When do i actually go to basic
« on: Oct 30, 2007, 12:12 »
Ok this is wierd I was scheduled to go to basic on the 26th of december but yesterday they told me my date was moved to the 19th of december and i read on here that basic is closed on christmas so where will i be for a week.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: When do i actually go to basic
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2007, 01:05 »
At RTC once you ship out you will be at RTC great lakes until you graduate. You may or may not be assigned to a divison and start training. Either way you will not be granted leave or liberty during the holiday. You will probably clean. O ya and shovel snow.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 01:06 by 93-383 »

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2007, 07:21 »
No WAY would I go on December 19th. Odds are you'll just sit around through the holidays then finally join a company. Great Lakes in the winter is COLD!!!

Mike

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2007, 07:44 »
Steelknuckle,

From where are you?  I was from South Florida--went to Boot Camp (not Basic) in San Diego.  Then I graduated BE&E on the 21st ish of December, with transfer orders to GLakes. 

I got DELREP, and showed up on 4JAN to the GLakes.  This was my first taste of snow--ever.  Up until this point, my P-coat was an awesome sea bag packing material for breakables--at the bottom.  I left sunny Fort Lauderdale at 77 F, to the Windy City (it totally deserves its name).  The airport outside thermometer showed 28 F, but I was told it was more like 9 F with the wind-chill factor.  I, was sporting the spiffy look in my Johnny Cashes, thank God.  I say that because it could have been worse; I was wearing my Ice Cream Suit at home on leave. 

Your takeaway from this--Thermal Underwear, ear muffs, and gloves--and--a heavy MF jacket!

Make these a part of your Civillian Clothes you take to "Basic" so that you have them after you Pass and Review!

Friendly advice from a native of South Florida. 

Oh, by the way, don't EVER tell anybody that you've never shoveled snow before in your life...

The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:22 »
Steelknuckle,

From where are you?  I was from South Florida--went to Boot Camp (not Basic) in San Diego.  Then I graduated BE&E on the 21st ish of December, with transfer orders to GLakes. 

I got DELREP, and showed up on 4JAN to the GLakes.  This was my first taste of snow--ever.  Up until this point, my P-coat was an awesome sea bag packing material for breakables--at the bottom.  I left sunny Fort Lauderdale at 77 F, to the Windy City (it totally deserves its name).  The airport outside thermometer showed 28 F, but I was told it was more like 9 F with the wind-chill factor.  I, was sporting the spiffy look in my Johnny Cashes, thank God.  I say that because it could have been worse; I was wearing my Ice Cream Suit at home on leave. 

Your takeaway from this--Thermal Underwear, ear muffs, and gloves--and--a heavy MF jacket!

Make these a part of your Civillian Clothes you take to "Basic" so that you have them after you Pass and Review!

Friendly advice from a native of South Florida. 

Oh, by the way, don't EVER tell anybody that you've never shoveled snow before in your life...

Now, that is funny... you didn't actually tell someone that did you? I love the Florida child in the great white north stories -- nothing like a dose of reality to wake someone up. To be fair, I still remember the sunburn I got the first time I came to Florida from Maryland.

BTW -- Chicago is not called the Windy City because of the weather. It was a derogatory remark made by a journalist about the local politicians and their propensity for releasing a lot of hot air and accomplishing nothing.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 08:23 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Navnu

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2007, 09:08 »
You don't get to hold onto the clothes you take with you. The first night you are there, they get packed up and sent home, and on your liberty weekend, you stay in uniform. Have fun walking around in the full length trench coat, ski mask, and mouthing covering scarf while you are there though. A bit of advice..if you were glasses, learn to breathe through your mouth to keep from fogging them up.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2007, 02:24 »
You don't get to hold onto the clothes you take with you. The first night you are there, they get packed up and sent home, and on your liberty weekend, you stay in uniform. Have fun walking around in the full length trench coat, ski mask, and mouthing covering scarf while you are there though. A bit of advice..if you were glasses, learn to breathe through your mouth to keep from fogging them up.

LOL good advice.  That sucks that they send them home now. They used to just bag em and when your folks showed up, you were "supposed" to give them to your parents. The first thing I did was change out of my uniform at the hotel for the 3 days. I guess they finally caught on.

Justin

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2007, 01:30 »
LOL good advice.  That sucks that they send them home now. They used to just bag em and when your folks showed up, you were "supposed" to give them to your parents. The first thing I did was change out of my uniform at the hotel for the 3 days. I guess they finally caught on.

Justin

The other reason they probably did it was cases like one guy in my division who fled to the train station in the middle of the night. We woke up the next morning to find that white bag tore open an laying on his rack

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2007, 03:29 »
The other reason they probably did it was cases like one guy in my division who fled to the train station in the middle of the night. We woke up the next morning to find that white bag tore open an laying on his rack

Ah yes. I remember those guys... we had about 20 people not strong enough to survive the horrible navy boot experience. Only 2 tried to escape though, the others we ASMOed or whatever they call it.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:51 »
Talk to your recruiter and asked to be pushed back a few weeks. You will truly regret it if you care about christmas.

on the other hand, if you want an "easier" time at bootcamp, go right ahead :-D

Finalman

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:08 »
My brother class at A school went to boot camp during christmas, you do not sit around, you still train except for a few days, then you just clean and clean, you will not have liberty, and will probably IT on christmas... PUSH YOUR DATE BACK, you'll regret it if you don't.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?