Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What's the Nuclear Navy Like?  

Author Topic: What's the Nuclear Navy Like?  (Read 28802 times)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
What's the Nuclear Navy Like?
« on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:14 »
So, what's it like to be a nuke?

:P

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: What's the Nuclear Navy Like?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:19 »
This question seems to me to be like the guy that went up to the IT desk with a CD and asked "Can you copy the internet onto this for me?"

Have you read anything on this forum yet? Could you possibly be more vague?

(Yes, I saw the goofy face at the bottom of the unnecessarily long post. Can I assume that is a self-portait?)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008, 10:20 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

withroaj

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:20 »
No better place to view the outside world through rose colored glasses.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:22 »
Apparently my attempt at humor...

withroaj

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:26 »
Oh I got it.  I just thought it'd be fun to play along.  That's my story.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:34 »
Oh I got it.  I just thought it'd be fun to play along.  That's my story.

Yeah, me too. That's the ticket.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline nagerjaeger

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2008, 06:28 »
I see a lot of questions about what rate to specify as first choice.  It seems most want ET first, EM next and MM last.  I was an EM on a Fast Attack and was OK with that but it seemed like the Nuke MM's had better comradery and clearer sense of purpose. 

I eventually qualified EWS and loved it.  I got to mess with steam, water, turbines, pumps (not motors) and all that fun stuff.  I think I missed my calling.  Also the MM's had a better chance of getting ELT school and when I got out ELT's were being sought by civilian Nuke power.

Fast foward to 5 years after I got out.  I mentored a young guy who was going into NNPP.  I told him to go for MM first and try for ELT.  He did so and got both.  Another 3 months at ELT school in Idaho Falls was wonderful.  He married a really smart, really pretty woman he met there.  After ELT school he goes to an attack boat on the east coast.  His wife is so well liked that whenever the CO's wife travels she has this guys wife stay at the house and watch the kids.  This guy goes to barber school.  A Nuke barber, go figure.  And he goes to dive school.  About half way through dive school he gets really sick, goes back to the boat.  Recovers and about 6 months later finishes dive school.  Somewhere in there he STAR(s) and makes E6.  He then goes back to Idaho Falls on staff.  I can't recall now if he went back to sea after that but in the end he spent 10 years in the Nav and had a lot to show for it.

Smart guy.  Doing really well both personally and financially.

To make a long story short, I think MM is the best first choice.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2008, 07:21 »
I see a lot of questions about what rate to specify as first choice.  It seems most want ET first, EM next and MM last.  I was an EM on a Fast Attack and was OK with that but it seemed like the Nuke MM's had better comradery and clearer sense of purpose. 

I eventually qualified EWS and loved it.  I got to mess with steam, water, turbines, pumps (not motors) and all that fun stuff.  I think I missed my calling.  Also the MM's had a better chance of getting ELT school and when I got out ELT's were being sought by civilian Nuke power.

Fast foward to 5 years after I got out.  I mentored a young guy who was going into NNPP.  I told him to go for MM first and try for ELT.  He did so and got both.  Another 3 months at ELT school in Idaho Falls was wonderful.  He married a really smart, really pretty woman he met there.  After ELT school he goes to an attack boat on the east coast.  His wife is so well liked that whenever the CO's wife travels she has this guys wife stay at the house and watch the kids.  This guy goes to barber school.  A Nuke barber, go figure.  And he goes to dive school.  About half way through dive school he gets really sick, goes back to the boat.  Recovers and about 6 months later finishes dive school.  Somewhere in there he STAR(s) and makes E6.  He then goes back to Idaho Falls on staff.  I can't recall now if he went back to sea after that but in the end he spent 10 years in the Nav and had a lot to show for it.

Smart guy.  Doing really well both personally and financially.

To make a long story short, I think MM is the best first choice.

Somewhat true, but keep in mind that ET's have a lot more to offer the civilian world then MM's (Not counting WS, WO, or EOOW stuff), and that ET's advance proffesionally MUCH quicker then any other rate.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2008, 07:36 »

Somewhat true, but keep in mind that ET's have a lot more to offer the civilian world then MM's (Not counting WS, WO, or EOOW stuff), and that ET's advance proffesionally MUCH quicker then any other rate.

And you would know that how? From what experience??

All of my ex-Navy Ops mgmt. were either MMs or EMs. Your mileage may vary.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2008, 10:00 »

Exactly when did you become an expert on who has what to offer? Let me break my plant down for you.

My VP = Navy EM
My PM = Navy MM
My OM = Navy EM
My SM = Navy MM/ELT
Three SROs on my crew = Navy MM/ELT, EM, ET
5 ROs on my crew = 2 non-navy, 2 Navy EM, 1 Navy MM
7 NLOs on my crew 1 AF elecronics tech, 2 non Navy, 1 Navy MM/ELT, 1 Navy ET, 2 Navy EMs.

Oh, then there is me... 1 Navy MM/ELT.

So lets see that is;

7 EMs
6 MMs (some ELTS)
5 NON Navy
2 ETs

So what were you saying again?

Fact is, a Navy nuke is a Navy nuke... PERIOD. And, truth be told, MMs and EMs possess an overall set of skills more useful to the operation of a commercial plant. Sitting in an RO chair on a Navy plant is in no way the same as being an RO on a commercial nuke. And that is all ETs have to offer, not much of anything compared to the others, IMO. Sure, they might be more useful in I&C, but that is about it. MMs and EMs are useful in far more skill areas right out of the Navy. However, I say again, a Navy nuke is a Navy nuke and they are all equally useful to the outside. Each rate is equally trainable in all disciplines, and no one really cares what rate you were in the Navy. The differences ONLY come from the individual, NOT the rate they were in the Navy. That is not opinion.

Where do you get your information from?

Justin
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008, 07:40 by JustinHEMI »

bheinz

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2008, 04:25 »

... that ET's advance proffesionally MUCH quicker then any other rate.

::) Not so much. And to follow Justin's lead, my crew here;
SM-MM
SRO/CRS-EM
3 ROs-2MMs,1EM
SRO/FSS-Non-navy
4NLOs-2 MMs, 2 Non-navy

Come to think of it, there isn't a single ET here. Hmmmm, guess they don't have much to offer the state of VT. And yes, I was a MM/ELT

bheinz

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2008, 06:07 »
marssim, former MM1/SS (ELT) and master of his domain,.....

LOL, sorry, all hail Marssim...... ;)

shayne

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2008, 07:47 »
The differences ONLY come from the individual, NOT the rate they were in the Navy.

I would have to agree.  if EWS was a rate, it would rank up there at the top...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2008, 07:59 »
I would have to agree.  if EWS was a rate, it would rank up there at the top...

Ok but it isn't so your point is moot. My previous point stands as written.

Justin
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 08:02 by JustinHEMI »

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:12 »
I was an MM.
When I got out I was able to get a MN 1st class boilers license. That license put me into a power plant job within 6 months of getting out.
I went to work as a Plant Equipment Operator at a coal plant. (Coal plants don't have NRC  ;) )
After being there for 9 years, I went and applied for more of an ET (working with electronics) position within the company and I still haven't run into an ET that I know of. We do have a former EM though.

I am thankful for the training.

My answer to the origional question is "Dark".

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2008, 01:20 »
LOL, sorry, all hail Marssim...... ;)

It's a very SMALL domain, and all green....

Oh wait, I was looking through the wrong end of the Mountain Dew bottle ;)

mishin

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:10 »
I've been reading posts, and searching online this same question, and I understand that people like me, new and ignorant shouldn't just willy nilly put posts all over the places, so continuing on what you guys were saying.  I just had a quick question.  Is the the Navy Nuke program more like learn and start working in the nuke places/subs and applying what you've learned, or might there be more research too?  not just churning out Nuclear plant maintenance people ? If I made the Nuke program at all downgrading I don't mean it that way! It's just that I really want to do nuclear physics for major (currently a college student) and was talking with a recruiter, and he was like yeah Nuke program is a lot of research, but from what I've been reading online it sounds more like a learn and apply (doing check ups everyday making sure the subs are running properly that is if i ever get to that far of course). 

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:31 »
I've been reading posts, and searching online this same question, and I understand that people like me, new and ignorant shouldn't just willy nilly put posts all over the places, so continuing on what you guys were saying.  I just had a quick question.  Is the the Navy Nuke program more like learn and start working in the nuke places/subs and applying what you've learned, or might there be more research too?  not just churning out Nuclear plant maintenance people ? If I made the Nuke program at all downgrading I don't mean it that way! It's just that I really want to do nuclear physics for major (currently a college student) and was talking with a recruiter, and he was like yeah Nuke program is a lot of research, but from what I've been reading online it sounds more like a learn and apply (doing check ups everyday making sure the subs are running properly that is if i ever get to that far of course). 

If you want a research job in nuclear physics do not join the Navy. Our job is learning and executing procedures. Finding alternative methods for maintenance or operations, rather than the performing per procedure is an unforgivable sin. Questioning the procedure through the proper forms submitted to the proper authority is allowed but don't expect to see any change quickly.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2008, 05:56 »
or might there be more research too?  not just churning out Nuclear plant maintenance people ?

Oh, we have labcoats and slide rules....they are just called "poopy suits" and "mops" ;)

mishin

URGENT QUESTION!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2008, 02:12 »
So, so far i think my recruiters a recruiter,  then now I am position where i am about to take the ASVAB, and the medical examination, and the recruiter was like yeah you go to hotel on Tuesday night, and they bring you on a bus to the medical examination.  When I heard that I was like wtf??? hotel?? why would you go to a hotel just so you can get to the examination on time?! that doesn't make any freakin sense and it sounds hella fishy!! and I alread gave them my ssn, passport copy!! how do I know they aren't fake and good at pulling it off!?!? I really wanna join but i don't wanna get screwed over!

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
Re: URGENT QUESTION!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2008, 03:19 »
So, so far i think my recruiters a recruiter,  then now I am position where i am about to take the ASVAB, and the medical examination, and the recruiter was like yeah you go to hotel on Tuesday night, and they bring you on a bus to the medical examination.  When I heard that I was like wtf??? hotel?? why would you go to a hotel just so you can get to the examination on time?! that doesn't make any freakin sense and it sounds hella fishy!! and I alread gave them my ssn, passport copy!! how do I know they aren't fake and good at pulling it off!?!? I really wanna join but i don't wanna get screwed over!
This is normal they do this to everybody because the exams start early in the morning and MEPS stations are not located in every town (far from it) so it is easier and more convineint for a  recruiter to drop you at the designated hotel (all paid for) and to have you catch the bus at "O' still way to dark in the morning" to sit in a line and take all day to be tested...it's not fishy it's normal..it's either that or wake up at 3am and roll in with the recuiter..I'd take the nap...ahhh...nap...
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

PapaBear765

Re: URGENT QUESTION!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:34 »

Proofread your posts!

mishin

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2008, 03:36 »
Thanks
I don't quite understand what you mean by proofread? like because my question has nothing to do with nuke program? that i understand.  Didn't mean to do the wrong thing. planning on joining the nuke program, and this seemed like only place i know that i trust. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2008, 06:34 »
Thanks
I don't quite understand what you mean by proofread? like because my question has nothing to do with nuke program? that i understand.  Didn't mean to do the wrong thing. planning on joining the nuke program, and this seemed like only place i know that i trust. 

No it wasn't your question. Your question was perfectly fine. It was the childish gibberish you used to write it.

Good luck to you, but be advised, the ability to convey information correctly is very important in the nuke program.

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2008, 06:36 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2008, 06:44 »
No it wasn't your question. Your question was perfectly fine. It was the childish gibberish you used to write it.

Good luck to you, but be advised, the ability to convey information correctly is very important in the nuke program.

Justin

Perfect example of how to tell someone to fix themselves without being a jerk.

+K to you.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?