Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Current AF enlistee, curious about nuke program.

Author Topic: Current AF enlistee, curious about nuke program.  (Read 10192 times)

twistid

Current AF enlistee, curious about nuke program.
« on: Oct 08, 2008, 05:01 »
Hello, I'm currently enlisted in the AF as an electronic warfare technician (basically radar jamming).  I've been reading up on the Navy Nuke program and it seems appealing.  Is it true once you leave "C" School you are given the rank of E-5?  Also I've read you have to take a "nuke test," as well as having a high ASVAB score to be accepted.  I scored a 93 or 94 on my asvab IIRC, and graduated top of class in Electronic Warfare school (3rd in class in electronic principles, I suppose EP would be our A school and EW would be our B school)  I'm mainly looking for something a little more exciting and challenging, Don't get me wrong, troubleshooting radar pods is tough stuff, but theres not really any excitment to it.  Not to mention the insanely high enlistment bonus you guys get.  If any of you could give suggestions or tips, I would greatly apprecaite it.  Thanks ahead of time!

AskewDivergent

Re: Current AF enlistee, curious about nuke program.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2008, 05:29 »
To better answer some of your questions, here is a timeline of the training:

*Enlist as E-3 for 4 year obligation w/ 2 year extension
RTC (boot), Great Lakes, IL - 2 months
NF A School, Charleston, SC (MM - 3 months, EM or ET - 6 months)
*Auto promote to E-4* (Unless you get in trouble)
Nuclear Power School, Charleston, SC - 6 months
Nuclear Prototype Training Unit, Charleston, SC or Ballston Spa, NY - 6 months

You are not automatically given E-5 at graduation from the C school (NPTU), but you have the option of STAR (Selective Training and Reenlistment) at your 21 month of service time. You re-enlist for 6 years, get a $45,000 bonus and get auto promoted to E-5.

You may or may not have to take the "Nuke test" (or NAPT - Navy Advanced Programs Test), that depends on your ASVAB composite scores for the Navy. To find out what you have:

Add the following LINE scores:
MK + AR + VE + MC
or
MK + AR + GS + EI

If either one of those sets are at least 252, then you are considered "line score qualified" and do not have to take the NAPT. Chances are -with a 93- that you are, but it should be checked.

There are other qualifications that have to be met before you are eligible. Things like little or no police involvement, age, citizenship, drug usage, high school math grades and financial standing. We screen people like this because it's a more politcal field in nuclear power rather than electronic warfare. For obvious reasons, you can't just let anyone walk in an operate a reactor.

It is a challenging program, and most people who join are pushed to the limit. IMO, I think of it as trial by the fire. Being an MM like me is even more exciting, but I'm sure as most people in this forum will tell you it's all a matter of opinion.

Due to restrictions between the different branches, we can't legally recruit you into the Navy while you are bound to the Air Force. Nor can we actively prospect you. But if you happen to come into a Navy recruiting station with questions after declaring your status as an AF enlistee, it's no problem.

What state do you currently reside in?

Hope this helped!

twistid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2008, 05:41 »
Yes that was very informative, thank you.  I have had a few minor traffic offenses but nothing major.  I'm currently in South Carolina.  As for everything else I'm 22, I have an AA in applied science that came with algebra and algebra lab so I believe I have the math covered, I was born in a foreign country, but with American parents so I am a citizen.  The only thing I could see disqualifying was I admitted to having smoked marijuana when I enlisted to the AF, I was still given a secret security clearence, but I imagine it might be enough to disqualify me.

AskewDivergent

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2008, 05:51 »
It's the high school math grades that are the determining factor for whether or not you need an academic waiver. The criteria is that you must have a C or better in the semester grades. The marijuana use will be a waiver, but it depends on how many times you've used whether it will be approved. 

Other than that, check your ASVAB line scores. You might be a good candidate.

twistid

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:59 »
I went onto Air Force Portal to get my scores, Heres what I got.

Admin - 92
Electrical - 96
General - 89
Mechanical - 92

Mayby I took a different version of the ASVAB because i'm not sure what MK , MC, AR are supposed to represent, I assume AR is arithmetic?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 01:25 »
I scored a 93 or 94 on my asvab IIRC, and graduated top of class in Electronic Warfare school (3rd in class in electronic principles, I suppose EP would be our A school and EW would be our B school)  I'm mainly looking for something a little more exciting and challenging, Don't get me wrong, troubleshooting radar pods is tough stuff, but theres not really any excitement to it. 

ET should be the best fit. Welcome aboard!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2008, 06:48 »
ET should be the best fit. Welcome aboard!

I don't know, for ET don't you have to have made it past a certain level in World of Warcraft, have carved your own 14 sided die, and speak fluent Klingon?
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:47 »
PBlue, Nope just have some experience with Halo, know how to laugh at the 13 y.o. punks ludicrous remarks/foul language during online gaming. ;D  Klingon as a second language could come in handy in the appropriate environment!  I love my ET, just the way he is! (He says all ETs are considered nerds.....I wonder what he rates himself on a 1-10 scale.....low I would guess).... :) :)  Kathy VPNM

twistid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2008, 10:19 »
For an ET what type of stuff do you maintain?  Is it preventative or broke maintenence (do you fix it before or after its broke)  The stuff we use is oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, power meters, pulse generators, scalar network analyzers, basic radio frequency and electronic measurement and calibration tools.

What is the job like?  I would compare our job to like repairing a honda civic or air conditioner unit, Its the same stuff over and over again, just instead of pistons and freon leaks, its replacing VCO combiners and Dual Mod Couplers.

withroaj

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2008, 10:27 »
For an ET what type of stuff do you maintain?  Is it preventative or broke maintenence (do you fix it before or after its broke)  The stuff we use is oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, power meters, pulse generators, scalar network analyzers, basic radio frequency and electronic measurement and calibration tools.

What is the job like?  I would compare our job to like repairing a honda civic or air conditioner unit, Its the same stuff over and over again, just instead of pistons and freon leaks, its replacing VCO combiners and Dual Mod Couplers.

ET's work on digital/analog instrumentation and control systems using all of the magical measurement and calibration tools you know and love.  They have to know ridiculous amounts of information about reactor protection and electronics.  They also turn valves once and a while, play World of Warcraft, eat Funyuns and listen to death metal.  I don't really have the mental capacity to describe the specifics, but I can tell you that Navy Nuke is the most awesome, interesting, rewarding, futile, boring, pull-your-hair-put frustrating job I've had.  For me the ups outweigh the downs.  I'm an ELT (true masters of the plant) though, and not an ET.

drainbamage

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2008, 02:08 »
@ OP

Are you at the AF base in Charleston?

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2008, 10:09 »
I don't know, for ET don't you have to have made it past a certain level in World of Warcraft, have carved your own 14 sided die, and speak fluent Klingon?

I laughed at the speaking Klingon.....

only because we have an ET SPU at Prototype who is in fact fluent.....

SN Bass

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:52 »
Darn, I am one of the biggest nerds around but I will probably be an MM.

They will just look at my 6'2  205 pound body and say, "Damn, he will be good at carrying stuff.  MM!"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?