Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "Nerdy" Nukes honeypot

Author Topic: "Nerdy" Nukes  (Read 79652 times)

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
Re: "Nerdy" Nukes
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:11 »
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

There is no discrimination against women. You are judged on the basis of your performance and your professional bearing.  Male or female, if you work hard, you will be treated appropriately. 

I suggest that you lose your jaded outlook prior to shipping.  There is no room for sailors that discriminate or tolerate discrimination in my navy!  It is not okay, ever.

I'm not saying that I discriminate, nor tolerate it.  However, I'm not going to completely lie and say it's not ever going to be out there.  Of course it's not ok, I'm definately not saying that it is.  But it's better to expect it, rather than be completely oblivious to it, then again not to be paranoid about it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #51 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:02 »
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

There is no discrimination against women. You are judged on the basis of your performance and your professional bearing.  Male or female, if you work hard, you will be treated appropriately. 

I suggest that you lose your jaded outlook prior to shipping.  There is no room for sailors that discriminate or tolerate discrimination in my navy!  It is not okay, ever.

Can I play devil's advocate and pick your brain on what you think about sexual bias? Both Drayer and I can attest to women often times getting overlooked by their male cohorts for whatever reasons... Id like to think out of site, out of mind, but you and I know thats not always the case.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:12 »
On Topic:

Most of the "nerdy" things you guys have posted are a little before my time, but I think I'll fit in with today's nukes anyway. ;)

By the way, I love the nostalgia threads. Very entertaining. :)

MacGyver

« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:26 »
Can I play devil's advocate and pick your brain on what you think about sexual bias? Both Drayer and I can attest to women often times getting overlooked by their male cohorts for whatever reasons... Id like to think out of site, out of mind, but you and I know thats not always the case.

I know why (and its on topic regarding "nerdy nukes")

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:57 »
Women sailors being overlooked, ignored, kept at a distance?!?!?!

Probably because somebody is coaching those same guys that women will cry rape just to stir things up,...

I'm just saying,.... [coffee]

Oh lordy, I cant figure you out.

You know good and well what my point was. Has zero anything to do with rape accusations. Being on deployment and stuff isnt the same thing as being in a locked room alone with another sailors wife.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:41 »

Oh lordy, I cant figure you out.

You know good and well what my point was. Has zero anything to do with rape accusations. Being on deployment and stuff isnt the same thing as being in a locked room alone with another sailors wife.

Challenge accepted.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

LaFeet

« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:52 »
 nerds huh... I recall the original TI-30 coming out while in Nuke School...... man that was the stuff.  Noise in the classroom dropped from the continuous swish swish of the slide rule and a new tone off click, click, click, SH#* !!! took over.

I remember building a PET computer from broken parts.... man was that something.... and the games I could play (2 I recall) !!!

But all in all I was more into the party scene in Orlando,  focusing on "Spit" on Wednesday night and Rocky Horror Picture Show in Friday & Satuday noght.

mizzyung

« Reply #57 on: Mar 09, 2011, 12:45 »
can you elaborate on this... ?

I'm a future female Nuke. I ship out May 3rd. & I would definitely say I'm a nerd... at heart. I like math, I love to read and I'm drawn to anything intellectually stimulating.  However, *not tooting my own horn in anyway* I have definitely been described as “good looking & out going.” I love to party and have a good time. This is something I’ve been worried about since signing up to be a Nuke… the ratio of 33:1 guys to girls. All of the responses on this website have been extremely helpful, but almost all of them are also from a male point of view. Can you guys describe what the girls are like down there? And as a female is it a lot harder and do you think we get discriminated against? The last thing I want is for all the guys (fellow classmates & instructors) to think I’m just a “dumb girly girly” and not a student working hard to make it through the pipeline.

Sorry I'm so late...from my experience with the command, there was no discrimination at all. They like to see a girl not intimidated or rattled by the circumstances. I was actually in charge of my A-school class where I was the only female, and offered the power school section leader position. It's all about how well you work and how well you work with others. The not being easy part i was referring to, was the distractions. Naturally with being so many guys and "not enough" girls, it's like being among a hungry pack of wild animals no matter how you look...not to mention if you are a party girl, you will be tempted. There are a lot of party places in the area and a lot of trouble you can get into. Charleston is a bit of a party town with all of the colleges in and around it. The best advice I can give, is stay away from the party side as much as you can while training. It's okay to take time off every once in a while, but there is ALWAYS something going on and ALWAYS someone watching. it's a military area so eyes are everywhere.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #58 on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:10 »
Sorry I'm so late...from my experience with the command, there was no discrimination at all. They like to see a girl not intimidated or rattled by the circumstances. I was actually in charge of my A-school class where I was the only female, and offered the power school section leader position. It's all about how well you work and how well you work with others. The not being easy part i was referring to, was the distractions. Naturally with being so many guys and "not enough" girls, it's like being among a hungry pack of wild animals no matter how you look...not to mention if you are a party girl, you will be tempted. There are a lot of party places in the area and a lot of trouble you can get into. Charleston is a bit of a party town with all of the colleges in and around it. The best advice I can give, is stay away from the party side as much as you can while training. It's okay to take time off every once in a while, but there is ALWAYS something going on and ALWAYS someone watching. it's a military area so eyes are everywhere.

partially true, but the fact is, the military does not have eyes on you all the time. Its that "I" word thing they talk about that you have to use... Your actions out in town are rarely seen, but you need to be acting within the bounds of the rules given to you. Its your job to do that.

Discrimination works both ways, not just in your "negative" standpoint. Reverse discrimination is a problem in the navy, as is "normal" discrimination. "Oh shes just a girl, go get a guy to carry this paint bucket". And I've seen things worse then that... 

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #59 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:32 »
partially true, but the fact is, the military does not have eyes on you all the time. Its that "I" word thing they talk about that you have to use... Your actions out in town are rarely seen, but you need to be acting within the bounds of the rules given to you. Its your job to do that.

Discrimination works both ways, not just in your "negative" standpoint. Reverse discrimination is a problem in the navy, as is "normal" discrimination. "Oh shes just a girl, go get a guy to carry this paint bucket". And I've seen things worse then that... 

You might think that the eyes of the Navy are not on you, but there was an incident when I was in school that lead to well over 50 mast cases and ended up getting short stay put "off limits" for NNPTC students.  It all started when two young ladies were seen drinking downtown by some of their instructors and knew they were both underage.  Long story short, they asked them about the weekend, the two ladies spilled the beans about several parties they had been to with lists of names where there was underage drinking.  It took 4 weeks to get all the masts cases processed and they dropped about half of the student from the program and the other half barely got to stay.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #60 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:18 »
You might think that the eyes of the Navy are not on you, but there was an incident when I was in school that lead to well over 50 mast cases and ended up getting short stay put "off limits" for NNPTC students.  It all started when two young ladies were seen drinking downtown by some of their instructors and knew they were both underage.  Long story short, they asked them about the weekend, the two ladies spilled the beans about several parties they had been to with lists of names where there was underage drinking.  It took 4 weeks to get all the masts cases processed and they dropped about half of the student from the program and the other half barely got to stay.

Incidences occur. Thats always going to be the case. Now, for that one event, how many do you think occured that DIDNT get caught.... 

That said, they dont even get kicked out for cheating anymore -.-, much less drinking under age.

shocker

« Reply #61 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:48 »
There are quite a few people who would dispute that.  There were about ~20 in a single bust recently - not all of them get to stay after restriction.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #62 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:18 »
There are quite a few people who would dispute that.  There were about ~20 in a single bust recently - not all of them get to stay after restriction.

They wouldnt let some stay and let others go without more to the story... The purchasers of the alcohol may be more liable or something, or if they were e-4's instead of e-3's. whatever.

Again, isolated incidents. Stop bringing these up. You will learn good and well, that on the 2-7 you are NOT being watched by anyone. You can do whatever the hell you want in that plant, and its up to you to operate it properly. You guys really need to stop dilluting the point with this crap. You're not a nuke yet, and the training pipeline is more then an academic test, and not everyone fails because of their grades. When you are standing SRW on the midwatch on a weekend duty day, then you can have an accurate say of how much you are "being  watched"

/bitterness.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 12:21 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #63 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:41 »
They wouldnt let some stay and let others go without more to the story... The purchasers of the alcohol may be more liable or something, or if they were e-4's instead of e-3's. whatever.

Again, isolated incidents. Stop bringing these up. You will learn good and well, that on the 2-7 you are NOT being watched by anyone. You can do whatever the hell you want in that plant, and its up to you to operate it properly. You guys really need to stop dilluting the point with this crap. You're not a nuke yet, and the training pipeline is more then an academic test, and not everyone fails because of their grades. When you are standing SRW on the midwatch on a weekend duty day, then you can have an accurate say of how much you are "being  watched"

/bitterness.

That's enough of that. Let's get back to talking about D&D.

MacGyver

« Reply #64 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:42 »

Nice ... spunky, confident, direct, non-confrontational, very well thought out.   +K

For me, I would have just used a pic to get things back in-line:

:P ;) ;D :P

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #65 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:11 »

you got skillz. Chicks dig skillz

MacGyver

« Reply #66 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:26 »
you got skillz. Chicks dig skillz

You do know she is a "chick" {sic} (i.e. young lady), right?!?!?

CM, drop and give me 25!  ;) :o

mizzyung

« Reply #67 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:07 »
Wow...the "eyes are everywhere" I was referring to was simply for the goose creek/charleston area. You almost can't go anywhere without someone from the command being there. Some instructors even serve as bouncers at some of the clubs downtown. If you are getting out of control or acting a fool, you draw lots of attention and someone will have no problem approaching you to ask who your SLPO or Chief is. you are a Navy representative in and out of uniform so be aware of your public actions because more times than not, SOMEONE is going to know about it whether or not it gets back to the higher ups in the command or not is what isn't guaranteed, but better safe than sorry.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #68 on: Mar 10, 2011, 11:45 »

CM, drop and give me 25!  ;) :o

shoot, since its a " chick" I will drop and give you 50! ;)

wait...

:D

Yes mizzyoung, that statement is accurate.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:59 »

CM, drop and give me 25!  ;) :o

Darnit, MacGyver. Was tryig to see how long it would take him to notice. We were at a little over 8 months so far.

Oh well. I've been outed.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread:
CoD, WoW, D&D, and... er... fantasy books. I like magic and horsies, not spaceships and aliens.

Oh, and I enjoy flipping through a magazine. There's something about it that's oddly therapeutic.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 03:02 by Styrofoam »

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:18 »
Everyone has their own inner nerd in them. Some just don't bring it out as often as others.  :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #71 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:54 »
Oh, and in the spirit of the thread:
CoD, WoW, D&D, and... er... fantasy books. I like magic and horsies, not spaceships and aliens.

Offline MM1 subnuke

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #72 on: Mar 13, 2011, 01:00 »
Some of my friends chased women and drank beer in nuke school.  Others stuck to Everquest.  Just like everywhere else in the world, lots of kinds of people doing lots of kinds of stuff.  Most everyone was normal.  Except for the vampire people.  Anyone in Charleston around 99-00?  You have to remember them.

I was there in 99 and '00.  I was a MM.  I don't remember my A school class number, but I was in A school form March until July, and then in power school from August until January.  I do remember the Vampire people, they wore their raincoats all the time.  My classmates and I used to play football every Friday night for like 3 hours.  I miss those times.

rcarlson21

« Reply #73 on: Apr 19, 2011, 03:22 »
My classmates and I used to play football every Friday night for like 3 hours.  I miss those times.

YES!!!! I finally get some reassurance that there will be "people" during my time spent in A, B, and C school! Well maybe just A and B. During C I'll be on my own from what I understand. I was starting to think that all NUKES would be doing nothing but playing WoW and watching Star Trek in their spare time :(. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy playing WoW, CoD, D&D, or having the occasional "nerdy" conversation from time to time, but I have got to be able to get out and about with people. What happens if you get hurt during your 1.5-2 years in school? Are you allowed to play contact sports, like not just throw the football but actually participate in a "wrap up" game. Also, seeing as the school is set up in a "college like" setting are there clubs or anything. I know we're supposed to spend just about every waking moment studying but for the weekends and such maybe they could have a game of soccer or football.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #74 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:16 »
YES!!!! I finally get some reassurance that there will be "people" during my time spent in A, B, and C school! Well maybe just A and B. During C I'll be on my own from what I understand. I was starting to think that all NUKES would be doing nothing but playing WoW and watching Star Trek in their spare time :(. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy playing WoW, CoD, D&D, or having the occasional "nerdy" conversation from time to time, but I have got to be able to get out and about with people. What happens if you get hurt during your 1.5-2 years in school? Are you allowed to play contact sports, like not just throw the football but actually participate in a "wrap up" game. Also, seeing as the school is set up in a "college like" setting are there clubs or anything. I know we're supposed to spend just about every waking moment studying but for the weekends and such maybe they could have a game of soccer or football.

The danger with contact sports if you break yourself playing them, they can haul you in front of the old man for breaking yourself.  We had a guy get busted for 92 and 134 when he broke his leg playing football.  I think full-contact sports are technically forbidden, but touch and flag football is allowed.  At least when I was there, there were weekend sports; mandatory fun and all that - the class sections were required to spend at least 4 hr/month or something 'having fun.'  Which was mandatory fun and generally involved sports or hanging out at the game center.

Admittedly, there is a broad spectrum of choices for things to do down there; when I was at NNPTC, I played paintball, dabbled in D&D, spent a decent chunk of time in the gym, played a decent number of computer games, and yeah, there was always hanging out and shooting the shit.  You can always go out to housing with a married friend and work on your car there or something.  And it's South Carolina.  Always an opportunity to head to the beach and enjoy the weather and the sights.  Just don't be stupid and store your paintball guns/firearms in your barracks room; get a rental unit or find someone who lives in housing and is willing to keep them for you.

P.S.  It's NFAS - Nuclear Field 'A' School and then NPS - Nuclear Power School.  There's no 'B' school in there.  A-school is where you go to pick up your rate; i.e. MM, ET, EM.  NPS is where you go to learn to be a nuke, then you follow up with NPTU - Nuclear Power Training Unit - and then possibly another C school - Welder or ELT - if you're a mechanic.  After that, it's time for the fleet.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?