Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hello Nukeworker!

Author Topic: Hello Nukeworker!  (Read 8108 times)

Offline MPetrosino

• Very Lite User
Hello Nukeworker!
« on: Sep 22, 2012, 02:17 »
Goodmorning everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and maybe gather some information regarding Navy Nukes and civilian life after, so here it goes. My name is Mike (Michael, Mike, M, just NOT Mikey!) I just turned 24 and have a 5 year old in kindergarten (yes i know.... started a little early). Unfortunately I, like many others, are having trouble finding and keeping work. Ive been jumping from business to business for the past 4 years because each company i work for ends up shutting down. So to make a long story short, I took a little visit to the Navy recruiter. Although the navy wasnt my first choice (or second lol) I have come to the conclusion that its the right choice for me.

Education, OJT, Traveling, new people, a career after the navy, education after the navy.... all around, a change in life. Im not worried about the pay or a bonus. It would be nice but money is not the main reason why im joining. Im halfway finished with college (a child makes it difficult) and cannot finish with the amount of money i make now. Ive grown to learn that college is a necessity but is also a luxury. The navy will let me finish college after i do my time and give me education for a new job/career when i get out which is worth more than the money in my eyes.

Where im at: So far, ive only taken the pre test, and turned in some of the paperwork. I have to sign over sole custody of my daughter to her mother (were seperated) apparently the navy doesnt want any baggage. So while i wait for the court stuff (another 2-3 months) im trying to prepare myself for meps. Not too excited about a finger in the who-ha!

The questions that i have are, What is a typical day like? EX: 0700 wake up, 0900 breakfast... so on. Im trying to see if there is ANY time for online education.

I know this question has been asked and i tried looking for it... I dont know specifically what an MM, ET and EM do. Does an ET solder electronics, repair electronics etc. An EM bends conduit and pulls wire? an MM works more mechanical? I do know i dont get to choose which one i get but i would like a better understanding of the three.

Also which of the 3 would better me in the civilian world.

I know this is long, but this is important stuff that would help me. Thanks again!

PS. Sorry if anything in this was in other posts

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Hello Nukeworker!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2012, 02:48 »

Yes, Mikey, it is in other posts.

Searching "typical day" yielded:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,6180.msg35979.html#msg35979

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2012, 04:44 »
Goodmorning everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and maybe gather some information regarding Navy Nukes and civilian life after, so here it goes. My name is Mike (Michael, Mike, M, just NOT Mikey!) I just turned 24 and have a 5 year old in kindergarten (yes i know.... started a little early). Unfortunately I, like many others, are having trouble finding and keeping work. Ive been jumping from business to business for the past 4 years because each company i work for ends up shutting down. So to make a long story short, I took a little visit to the Navy recruiter. Although the navy wasnt my first choice (or second lol) I have come to the conclusion that its the right choice for me.

Education, OJT, Traveling, new people, a career after the navy, education after the navy.... all around, a change in life. Im not worried about the pay or a bonus. It would be nice but money is not the main reason why im joining. Im halfway finished with college (a child makes it difficult) and cannot finish with the amount of money i make now. Ive grown to learn that college is a necessity but is also a luxury. The navy will let me finish college after i do my time and give me education for a new job/career when i get out which is worth more than the money in my eyes.

Where im at: So far, ive only taken the pre test, and turned in some of the paperwork. I have to sign over sole custody of my daughter to her mother (were seperated) apparently the navy doesnt want any baggage. So while i wait for the court stuff (another 2-3 months) im trying to prepare myself for meps. Not too excited about a finger in the who-ha!

The questions that i have are, What is a typical day like? EX: 0700 wake up, 0900 breakfast... so on. Im trying to see if there is ANY time for online education.

I know this question has been asked and i tried looking for it... I dont know specifically what an MM, ET and EM do. Does an ET solder electronics, repair electronics etc. An EM bends conduit and pulls wire? an MM works more mechanical? I do know i dont get to choose which one i get but i would like a better understanding of the three.

Also which of the 3 would better me in the civilian world.

I know this is long, but this is important stuff that would help me. Thanks again!

Really Mikey? You didn't try too hard.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.0.html

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2012, 04:56 »
Goodmorning everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and maybe gather some information regarding Navy Nukes and civilian life after, so here it goes. My name is Mike (Michael, Mike, M, just NOT Mikey!)

Lighten up Mikey....

Offline MPetrosino

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2012, 07:57 »
First mistake on this forum is clearly NOTED!!!!

Second mistake regarding the search function, is now noted lol.

Thanks for that. ET is more my thing but i dont mind EM or MM or the possibility of ELT i suppose. Ive done plenty of construction for EM, My fair share of mechanics for MM and im currently working for a company that makes battery chargers/ load testers that desulfate lead acid batteries... so i do alot of soldering, blah blah blah.

My real passion is creating energy. Solar, wind, geothermal, hydro, you name it. its all interesting. (iron mans arc reactor lol )

Any chance I could become a pilot if i finish school while im in?

Offline MPetrosino

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2012, 08:02 »
Avionics is another passion of mine haha

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2012, 08:07 »
Avionics is another passion of mine haha

Maybe you should consider that field.....

Navy nuke might not be the choice for you.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2012, 08:08 »

If we get into a shooting war with China,...maybe,...

Otherwise, if you want to be a pilot your highest chance for success is to finish your degree first, perhaps coupled with some ROTC,...

still, I do not know near enough about your situation nor could I ever, that's why the Navy has recruiters and NROTC Coordinators, go ask them,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2012, 09:33 »

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012, 09:33 by HydroDave63 »

Xenon_Free

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2012, 09:42 »
I do not possess the background to answer this question.  That being said, I am not sure you are asking the right questions.  You are going to have a rude awakening in the navy, you may not make it through nuke school, is this something you an accept?  Why do you assume you would be in better position to go to school for a couple years after the navy, when you are 30, because trust me the perspective is completely different after 6 years?  Finishing school while in the navy is not impossible but it is not easy.  Your money situation will likely be worse than you anticipate since the navy will make you pay for your awesome kid (congrats, kids are the best - do not forget that regardless).  You need to be asking about why it will be tougher for you, what you can do to make it better, and most importantly what is the worst thing that can happen to your plan - outside of some kind of law enforcement issue?

XF

P.S.  Pilot, really?

Offline MPetrosino

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2012, 11:01 »
I understand pilot and nuke are totally opposite. It was just an idea that i wanted to confirm was out of my reach.

@Xenon -  I am a computer science major, half way through. If nuke isnt for me after 6 years than i have my degree to finish and go that route. Also how could my money situation be worse after the navy. Im already paying for my child and as far as the navy is concerned i dont have sole custody of her. and finally, i know it will be tough (obviously) im not concerned mentally or physically. Ive always been athletic; hockey, soccer, basketball, football. And ive always excelled in mathematics and science carrying some decent study habits. I am completely confident i will graduate, and i will strive for honors.

If we get into a shooting war with China,...maybe,...

We might... Go Obama!

DSO

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2012, 11:54 »
Mikey,

First of all you will have no choice of what rate you get . The Navy doesn't care what YOU think your best suited for .. It's NEEDS OF THE NAVY. Second of all put " normal work day" out of your vocabulary. There is none.... and if you think you'll get up at a leisurely time of 0700 you won't pass the drug test. And Mikey third: Make up your mind whether you want to be below the ocean or in the air ... My own opinion is to try something else that you will have more flexibility with like a UN Peace worker or Free Lancer

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2012, 09:14 »
We might... Go Obama!

With a sign-off like that.... request the ET rating!

Seriously, there are more coders and twigety types there, might be a more friendly group. EMs tend to be bulletheads and bad car mechanics, and MMs tend to be much better car mechanics but drinking themselves into poverty.

Offline MPetrosino

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2012, 10:23 »
With a sign-off like that.... request the ET rating!

Seriously, there are more coders and twigety types there, might be a more friendly group. EMs tend to be bulletheads and bad car mechanics, and MMs tend to be much better car mechanics but drinking themselves into poverty.

Thanks for the advice, you have been very helpful.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?