Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Naval Academy Nuke Help

Author Topic: Naval Academy Nuke Help  (Read 12860 times)

omieschmomie

Naval Academy Nuke Help
« on: Sep 11, 2005, 11:08 »
I've heard being a nuke makes you the top 10% of the Navy, and graduating makes you amongst the top 3%.

You know what, I'm so worried. I always wanted to go to the Naval Academy, and I have a penchant for math and science. I don't know. My recruiter told me the majority of nukes who apply for USNA get in..but now that I've seen this site, and how many people try to go to USNA as nukes, its kind of discouraging. There's like 170 spots for Marines/Navy, and there's so many people trying to get in for both.   :(

It's not really a question of wheter you are a nuke or not then correct? It's just, now I'm competing for 170 spots compared to some thousand.

What are the benefits of being an enlisted nuke looking towards USNA schooling? What do nukes have that others don't?

My recruiter told me all nukes get in 100%.
My Nuke Coordinator told me there's like 57 spots reserved for Nukes and Nukes ALONE.

Who's telling the truth? Who's lying.

PLEASE HELP I'M REALLY CONFUSED.    :'(
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2005, 11:08 by omieschmomie »

BuddyThePug

Re: Naval Aacademy Nuke Help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2005, 11:13 »
Previous posts of the recent personal experiences of sailors, or the story told by a recruiter with a quota to fill...you decide.

omieschmomie

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2005, 11:17 »
:(

then can i atleast get some serious feedback as to help me try and get to my real goal?
ok thanks.

JsonD13

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2005, 05:31 »
I would tend to believe that your recruiter is lying to you ( or doesn't have his facts straight).  There is no officer program out there that has a 100% acceptance rate for enlisted nuclear personnel.  The Navy is going through alot of cutbacks right now, trying to keep the amount of people that are in really low.  I would suggest that if you want to go officer, apply for it before you join the Navy, then figure out whether you want to cut your chances and go enlisted first.   

blackwater

Re: Naval Academy Nuke Help
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2005, 05:39 »
First...your recruiter is lying to you. Do you really think that 100% of the nuc's in the pipeline that apply to the academy get it? Use common sense. (Maybe you should be a nuc)
Second... let me tell you this, If you only want to go to the academy then you better be willing to make a lot of sacrifices. The pipeline is great way to get in if you dont have much going for you in the civilian world simply because the pipeline is a clean slate. But I will say this, if you dont go into the nuc pipeline excited and enthusiatic ...you probably won't make it. Of the guys I know that didn't make it, most were guys who came in only wanting to do something else, but was told by a recuiter that once they were nuc they could get anything they wanted.

omieschmomie

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2005, 05:46 »
I would tend to believe that your recruiter is lying to you ( or doesn't have his facts straight).  There is no officer program out there that has a 100% acceptance rate for enlisted nuclear personnel.  The Navy is going through alot of cutbacks right now, trying to keep the amount of people that are in really low.  I would suggest that if you want to go officer, apply for it before you join the Navy, then figure out whether you want to cut your chances and go enlisted first.   

soundsgood to me man. thanks.

and to blackwater. ha @ the nuc joke...not really.

but i will try my best to enjoy nuke.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2005, 05:48 by omieschmomie »

CharlieRock

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2005, 07:09 »
There are no spots at the Naval Academy reserved for Nukes only. There are spots for Fleet sailors/Marines (as you mention), but not for specific rates.  The acceptance rate to USNA is very good for nukes, but not near 100%. 

omieschmomie

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2005, 08:12 »
thaanks charlie i appriciate it.

nukestar select

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2005, 02:50 »
enlisting in the navy to get picked up for an officer program might not be the wisest choice.  it is definately possible, and if you get good grades it is probable; but there are no guarantees and six years of your life is a hefty wager.
  the acceptance rate for nukes into the academy was fairly good when i went through last year, though most go to NAPS first, so add on another year.  i don't know how old you are now; but it might be wise to add up the time you'll be in DEP, the time it takes to get picked up, goto naps, and finally get to the academy.  make sure you will still want to goto the academy a few years down the road.  i'm happy that i got in but had i known how long it was gonna take i might had considered my other options with more care.  hope this helps.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2005, 09:49 »

1. Good job on using the word "penchant". Please let that be the only time you use that word in the presence of Sailors. Cyberspace may be a protected environment, but using this word underway may result in a beating...unless you are becoming an academy officer, which by definition means you have a penchant for words like "penchant".

2. Now this whole "Top 10%/3%" this or that: Its basically recrutiing rhetoric meant to entice those with a penchant for feeling elite amongst the peasantry of society. It tricked me, and then later I realized that it was basically used car salesmanship, although I am the smartest human being alive and clearly was the in at least the top .0001% eschelon (don't use this word ever either, unless you work for the NSA/NSC, who are security agencies with penchants for eschelons) of the US Navy.....errrp....beeep.....w hirrrr....smack........SmacK! Sorry, that was the darn Rickover Implant Acting up again......I still can't find it, but every now and again it makes me say things...like "Top 10%" and "Best of the Navy" and "January 17th, 1955....Underway on Nuclear Power"...

:(

then can i atleast get some serious feedback as to help me try and get to my real goal?
ok thanks.

Ok, first off if you have a penchant for becoming an assorted flavor of nuke, then you better get ready for those with a penchant for smartass comments to seemingly honest questions.

4. "Whose telling the truth, whose lying?"

Answer: That is for you to figure out, it will take roughly your entire lifetime. Assume everyone is lying and then make them prove it, unless you don't have a penchant for this type of thing.

JoeFlo

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:23 »
Right now I am on hold in prototype waiting for the results to see if I got picked up for the naval academy.

I drove to Annapolis a few weeks ago to talk to an "Admission Officer" and he said that I would have no problem getting picked up as a qualified nuke RO. Every question I had for him was followed by..."don't worry about anything your gonna get picked up".

In A school it is almost impossible to get picked up for the academy. Your new to the navy and you havent prove that you are nuke material yet.

Power school is when everyone tries out. They take care of all the paper work for you at the command and set up all your interviews too. That is the perfect time to apply.

Prototype to me is the best time. They do nothing for you. You are on shift work, working 12 hours a day and somehow you have to find time to go to Admin and take care of all the forms you have to send in. I have had to do almost everything on my own. However I was talking to the CCC and he said that everyone who applied last year got into NAPS which is the naval academy prep school. Only one person didn't and that was because he hit some guy with his car and drove off....

The naval academy application rate has gone down, I read somewhere that it dropped like 22%. I am the only person that I know of at prototype that is putting in for the academy so my chances are pretty good. When you get to this point of the program people see it as a waste to leave the navy for that. Enlisted sailors see the academy as 4 years of boot camp and dont want to go through with it. It won't be easy, but I work with many academy graduates who say that it is not any harder than the nuke program. So in a way you have a good chance of getting picked up but only because noone else is willing to go!! ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?